Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im going to scroll back to mid / late june surly thread for the lulz

I was ok through early May, but when they brought Jose Abreu back my flame of hope flickered low.     On May 28th, I said I was out until they finally cut bait with Abreu.  On June 14th, he was gone and I was back on board.  On June 18th, the Mariners went up 10 games in the division and the rest is history.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I was good the whole season until we lost to White Sox opening game of the series 2-0 on June 18th.

That loss pissed me off so bad that I posted my first, and only, "i throw in the towel"

Whats funny is that game is actually probably the turning point because they won the next 7 games lulz

Lulz

i randomly picked a page in the middle of this thread… first post:

On 6/15/2024 at 6:23 PM, Scraps said:

Great game. 10 out of 10.

that was priming the pump for that 6/18 game (lost to Detroit 13-5).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Cant' wait to see tomorrow's hangover lineup.

Whitcomb, Kessinger, Salazar all should be starting

Let Kikuchi toss a few innings just to stay on schedule and then have Dubin/Ferguson/Ort/King eat the rest.

im all about being there for grae’s first hit this season tomorrow 

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Let Kikuchi toss a few innings just to stay on schedule and then have Dubin/Ferguson/Ort/King eat the rest.

This is the way.

we may need to take at least 1 in Cleveland to lock them in to the 2 seed depending on how New York does to finish up.

47 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I was ok through early May, but when they brought Jose Abreu back my flame of hope flickered low.     On May 28th, I said I was out until they finally cut bait with Abreu.  On June 14th, he was gone and I was back on board.  On June 18th, the Mariners went up 10 games in the division and the rest is history.  

ill assume that crane had to gove the ‘ok’ to dfa abreu, if so that saved the season imo. took huge stones to make that move and eat two years salary + admit we fucked that one up 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Man no thanks! These shitboxes get a home set vs Oakland to close out I'd rather us beat them and eliminate them I have zero interest in facing them in a 3 game set with that rotation no matter how unlikely it is.

Detroit at least gets the sacrificial lamb in to close out and Tampa has nothing left to play for except draft status plus the Tigers have been hot as fuck lately and I want them in the 5 hole.

That leaves the 6 slot to one of KC/MIN/SEA and with as shitty as KC & MIN have been playing lately I really want one of them.  It seems like MIN is the more likely candidate given KC is on the road and has to head to Atlanta next who is fighting for their playoff lives with the Metros while the Twins are headed to Baltimore who is locked in the 4 slot.

Just say no to the Mariner assholes ;-)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

At this point if the Tigers don't make the 5 seed then that would be an epic fail because they have 2 more against Tampa and then 3 game series against the fucking White Sox 

Twins or Royals work for me.  

I would rather not run it back with Seattle 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The KC offense has gone into the shitter go back and look at their runs scored the last ~15 games.

It has gotten so bad they likely are going to miss the playoffs.

Do y'all even pay attention to other teams? LOL

Exactly. Since roughly when they lost Pasquantino for the season they've had a big dropoff in run production. Hard to fathom, but we now look like the 1927 Yankees in comparison. As much as I'd like to face KC, I really doubt they make it in. They finish with the Braves, who of course will be giving it all they have.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I mean the Twins aren't exactly amazing and still have to make up 2 games in 5 days.  I think KC still backs in.

Hope you're right. Minnesota also sucks. Other than maybe the loser of the race for the East, I don't see any of the AL's WC candidates going on the kind of run Arlington or Arizona did last year. 

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

The only player who shouldn’t get any rest is JV.  Fucker needs to start and show something.   If he sucks again, he should go back on the IL to end his season. 

Good lord.  Could you try not to be such a miserable asshole when the team clinched the division less than 12 hours ago?

• Haha 1

I never doubted. I was pessimistic, sure, but back in the spring when we were sucking dong I knew it was very likely they would turn it around and get on a roll to get back in the division race and lean on their postseason experience to carry them back to the playoffs. The speed at which the Mariners collapsed was obviously very helpful and surprising. What a massive choke job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Tiebreakers for the wild cards...

AL East:
Detroit holds tiebreaker over Baltimore so that leaves Baltimore's magic number at 2 to lock up the #4 seed and HFA in the first round

AL Central:
Detroit over Kansas City
Minnesota over Detroit
Minnesota over Kansas City

AL West:
Kansas City split with Seattle but Seattle holds the tiebreaker due to better intradivision record (thanks shitty AL West)

I would like for KC to beat Washington and us to beat Seattle and eliminate them ASAP.  The rest can sort itself out...

Kansas City somehow managed to own 0 tiebreakers vs the Wild Card field....