Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

28 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Royals and tigers tied going to the weekend.

Royals own the tiebreaker. But sporting a 3-7 L10 and have the harder matchup (@ATL who is fighting for their playoff lives) 

Tigers, sporting a 9-1 L10, are facing the worst team in this history of baseball.

So does Hinch want to play Houston or Baltimore, seems like it’s really his choice (unless Twins sweep Baltimore). 

Just now, oh_snap said:

So does Hinch want to play Houston or Baltimore, seems like it’s really his choice (unless Twins sweep Baltimore). 

Yeah, the amount of fuckery being played by all of these teams (KC, DET, CWS, BAL) this weekend will be interesting. 
I haven’t checked the rotations. Clearly, none of the top 3 starters will be going after tomorrow. I’m sure KC and Det will be trying to get that last win tomorrow and completely shutting it down.

5 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Hinch has already said they are playing to clinch and not for seeding. Once they clinch they are shutting it down. Even so, it may be hard to not sweep the White Sox and get the 5. 

Hinch is an idiot... It's highly unlikely but Minn could sweep Baltimore and Detroit could get the Wild Card at home.  Fortunately KC is in the 404 and they are playing for their playoff lives so hopefully the situation sorts itself out.

10 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

The best thing Dayton ever did for the city of Houston was selling the club to Jim Crane.

Fuck brick pinstripe uniforms, open star caps, Junction Jack, Tal’s Hill, Sheriff Blaylock’s nachos and fuck Drayton to eternity. His posturing that there was nothing wrong with the Dome when Bud was trying to get a new stadium and then after the Nashville talks to move the team prevented us from ever having a realistic chance to keep the Oilers. Remember Drayton REDUCED payroll his first season at Enron Field. I did a 40 page paper on the Oilers moving and Houston stadium issues back in 1996 for my sports law class. Got an A+ on it and during my research developed a loathing for that Baylor son of a bitch.

Finally, Drayton’s lack of taste when it comes to design and architecture that is clearly visible at his toilet bowl namesake stadium at Rapelor is, unfortunately, also evident at MMP. The Sports Authority has approved money for renovations to MMP and Toyota Center. 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/08/20/hchsa-approves-stadium-renovations-for-minute-maid-park-toyota-center/

I hope some of that money goes to re-skin MMP. Bullshit, hokey, fake old timey ballpark BS aesthetic never belonged for a Houston baseball stadium. Take inspiration from Bernabeu in Madrid and do something modern and consistent with “Astros”. Get rid of the outfield train and turn the HR celebration to something honoring our history with the Dome and space travel, maybe a rocket launching or something.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

I hope some of that money goes to re-skin MMP. Bullshit, hokey, fake old timey ballpark BS aesthetic never belonged for a Houston baseball stadium. Take inspiration from Bernabeu in Madrid and do something modern and consistent with “Astros”. Get rid of the outfield train and turn the HR celebration to something honoring our history with the Dome and space travel, maybe a rocket launching or something.

Office Space Idea GIF

• Haha 2

Found an article from 2021 about roof closed vs open and through 2019, it was 69% closed, 22% open, 9% opened mid game

those open %s have to have gone down considerably. I feel like we get 1 or 2 games a season at most since Covid with the roof open in the regular season 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I like Minute Maid.

my fave area is 2nd level center field. easy to order $1 dogs (if you beat the rush), el tiempo nachos kick ass, that huge bar is easy to get drinks, tables to sit down, area is easy to move around. club section is #2 but all the food stands are behind home / 1st. 1st level concourse gets too crowded. i like the walk in store and chic fil a stands. like scrap said, it all needs to be nicer and stands down there are too slow. i’d like to see more vendors walking the stands. went tues and weds and they had almost zero guys walking the stands 

29 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I don't give a shit what the outside looks like...they need to fix the inside and the shitty concourses.   I have been to 21 stadiums and MMP is not even in my top half.  

I've been to 40 something, including a bunch of dead parks now.  It's in my top 10 with ease.  And only Minny or and new Busch, parks I haven't been to have any shot at moving it down.

If we're talking newer parks and not including Wrigley, Fenway or Dodger it would move up more.  

Minute Maid's outfield renovation fixed 90% of the issues with the park that existed IMO.  Yes it could be better.  But we aren't adding the scenery around PNC or AT&T and open air that make those two parks great.  We can't add the history or Fenway or Wrigley.  

Everyone says "concourse" but I've never seen anyone articulate what changes they want made that could actually be made.  They need to be wider, but that's not possible.  Otherwise it's about as well organized a stadium as exists

It is possible to widen them. They have blocked access to the field because they have vendors lined up on the field side of the concourse which creates absolute clusterfucks. There should be no vendors on the field side of the concourse.

Cincy does it, new rangers does it, Toronto does it, from my remembering I think Colorado does it.

I should be able to walk the concourse and see the game action if I want to.

Also with a "remodel" they could push existing concessions on street sides of concourses in probably 4-6 ft because there is a bunch of wasted space. Mainly talking about ones behind 152 area and along 3rd base line.

• Hook 'Em 1

So the solution is less concession options?  For asthetic purposes only?  That means the concessions on the outside will be double full and the space really won't change much ultimately.  Personally I'd much prefer having concession options then going and sitting in my seat to enjoy the game faster.  

I mean I hear you in the wasted spaces area and agree that's a good idea.  But overall I don't understand the point.  Just to be maybe slightly less crowded?  

Edited by uoftorange

line them up against the wall 

even if they put half those stands against the inside wall vs the seats, that’s a huge improvement 

hire chic fil a to run all the stands. they know how to do things, you fly through that line. no bs 

Edited by tx 3 putt

12 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Hinch has already said they are playing to clinch and not for seeding. Once they clinch they are shutting it down. Even so, it may be hard to not sweep the White Sox and get the 5. 

We've already proved it's not hard to keep from sweeping the White Sox. 😡

17 minutes ago, Scraps said:

How bout since none of this matters we just all agree to only play 161 games....then lets make my over 88.5 bet void and just give me my money back.

Sounds like a plan.

So does sweeping Cleveland, but doubt either thing happens lol

Helene gonna ring herself out over Bowling Green, Kentucky.
Had she kept moving a few hundred miles NE, you’d be all set.

IMG_3043.png