Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

You would almost think the Braves & Mets should have a gentlemens agreement to split the doubleheader today since that would guarantee both a spot in the playoffs and would let them save their best pitchers for the wild card and going to Milwaukee or San Diego both teams have exactly the same record and there would be no chance to meet each other until the NLCS even at that.

However fuck both of those teams (1986 NLCS, 2021 WS, 1997, 1999, & 2001 NLDS) and yes I carry sports grudges.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

You would almost think the Braves & Mets should have a gentlemens agreement to split the doubleheader today since that would guarantee both a spot in the playoffs and would let them save their best pitchers for the wild card and going to Milwaukee or San Diego both teams have exactly the same record and there would be no chance to meet each other until the NLCS even at that.

However fuck both of those teams (1986 NLCS, 2021 WS, 1997, 1999, & 2001 NLDS) and yes I carry sports grudges.

Yeah kinda hope they fuck that up, would be very fitting way to end the Mets season

1 hour ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Watched all the highlights of our games this year against Tigers:

We hit Skubal decently enough.   Tigers didn't have success against Valdez or Brown.   Greene is a garbage Outfielder. 

Don't watch the Arrighetti start in June

• Hook 'Em 1

Sad for Gusto, stolen from another board

In the Winter of 2016, Ryan signed up for one of my FloridaProspect events when I was still the youngest head coach in the state of Florida, his HS was listed ominously as Charlotte, NC. We had about 15-18 coaches there, probably only 55-60 kids. He signed up as a two way player, actually a switch hitting two way player. Ryan did not stick out all that much, he blended in talent and skill wise, however, he emailed me before the event introducing himself and told me that he was going to be in town a few days after the showcase and wrote, ‘if you like what you see I can come back the following day.’ Middle of event just as the bullpens were wrapping up, it started to rain. We told the pitchers to head home and we took all the position players and coaches to the cage. During his BP he really didn’t hit all that well but I noticed his physicality and upon closer inspection, OK we do have some athletic ability here, my pitching coach was next to me and I asked, ‘What’d you think of this guys pen?’ He said, ‘his curveball could play.’ OK so that was enough. I actually pushed him to a few coaches there, I ran the showcase it’s my job to work for the kids. I told him at the end of the day we would like to have him out the next day.

Next day came and he threw live to a few of our hitters, struck a few out, got hit hard once or twice. I privately asked my pitching coach, ‘offer a walk-on?’ And he said, ‘yes.’ So I offered Ryan a walk-on spot at Broward College right then and there. He responded, ‘OK I’ll do it.’ Whoa! OK no talking to his family, just instant ‘yes.’ This was actually concerning!!! So I began to ask him a bunch of questions. ‘What HS do you go to? How was your year last year? Who is your coach? Tell me about your grades? Why did you just say yes immediately to a walk on and you’re from North Carolina!?!’ He told me he went to Providence HS in NC and that he didn’t make the varsity team. He was cut. He said he was going to be trying out again in a few weeks. He then told me that he wanted to come to Florida and help me win a championship. No lie he said that. Couple weeks went by and he texted me and told me he didn’t make his HS team again, but not to worry because he was going to be ready for when he came to me! Who on earth is this guy?!? So we had a bad year that year, coming off 2 conference championships it was a down year. Ryan texted me ALL SEASON.

After Chipola won the national title he sent me a text and told me that he would be ready to help me beat Chipola when he showed up. That Fall of 2017 he showed up and he was still throwing 84! Still had unreal confidence. As a matter of fact, our team Captain who attended West Point the following year and was THEIR captain came to me and said ‘This kid Gusto throws 80-poo but swears no one can touch his shite.’ I said, ‘let him be.’ Two weeks or so into school something tragic happened. Ryan’s older sister Marissa passed away in her sleep. It was an extremely rare occurrence, her heart just stopped beating in her sleep. Ryan left for a few days to be with his family and his father called me and told me that Ryan needed and wanted to come back, that he needed baseball right now more than ever because it was something that his sister had always so strongly supported, coming to games and making friends with all of his teammates families and friends. Of course I obliged when Ryan returned and I made sure to check on him with, ‘Hey man you good?’ And he would always smile and say ‘Yes I’m good.’ Baseball wise he was improving. This team we had was GOOD, eventually this team would be ranked #1 in the country after starting the season 20-2, 5 guys are still playing professionally, 3 in AAA.

My roster I always took 12 pitchers. As the Fall came to a close, Ryan was #13. Also at this time, Ryan’s family picked up from NC and moved down the street from Broward College. Yes they just picked up and moved down the street. Normally I let the kids know where they stand, but with Ryan under the circumstances, I hid it from him that he wasn’t going to be on the team. I did this because something told me not to let this player go. Well, two weeks into January we had a pitcher tear his labrum… and guess what, Ryan became my 12th pitcher. If Austin Genao had not been injured, I was prepared to redshirt Ryan. That’s the Gods honest truth. Ryan started as my 12th, but since I pitched everyone, he got his opportunities. His velo was now around 88 and the curveball played! He had an amazing season, becoming our #1 option out of the pen. We actually played Chipola and had a lead late against them and lost it. Ryan came up to me after the game and said, ‘If you had pitched me we would have won.’ The team lost in the state semifinal that season, Ryan went to New Hampshire to play Summer ball and they loved him.

Mid-Summer I decided to leave and take the job at FSW. I called Ryan to tell him I was leaving and before I could even provide him details he said, ‘OK I’m coming with you.’ That coming Fall Ryan was around 92-93 and signed with WKU. In the Spring we opened our weekend with the 1st annual Marissa Gusto Memorial Tournament, something my staff and I honored her with. This tournament carried on every year I was at FSW (and I have plans to pick it back up). Dozens of professional ballplayers and multiple current major leaguers pitched in this tournament. We went to play Chipola on the road and they were #1 in the country, I made sure to pitch Ryan and of course he dealt in victory and then came and told me about it. I actually started him out of the bullpen that season for strategic reasons with the intention to have him start at a certain point.

He had an amazing year, fastball now up to 96 with multiple other pitches developed, he led us to a conference championship and was named the conference pitcher of the year and the state of Florida POY as well. Charlie Gonzalez loved him, loved his confidence and drafted him in the 11th round. Funny because Ryan wasn’t going to sign. They kept offering him 125K and he kept telling them he would go to WKU and pitch himself to a few million dollars. Charlie called me and asked me what it would take and I said, ‘Probably everything you have left.’ Charlie listened and they gave Ryan all of their leftover pool money, he signed for $421,699. Ryan took pride in that, the fact that he didn’t sign for a round number and that they gave him what they had left. Ryan got Tommy John surgery shortly into his professional career, and has worked hard throughout his entire minor league career. As a matter of fact, his work ethic is lauded within his organization.

Ryan’s family and mine are very close, they take care of our children sometimes, we stay in touch often. Ryan is the godfather to my youngest daughter Margot. I try to make sure I bring up Marissa when we visit, I love hearing and seeing the joy in their faces when they speak about how much people enjoyed her presence. Ryan is a great ballplayer, but his fierce loyalty and unwavering confidence are by far his greatest qualities. If you’re still reading this, you should be rooting for Ryan Gusto just like I am and always have since I met him. I'm on my way to Cleveland with my youngest child to cheer him on in his Major League Debut tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

great decision ….

MLB just announced that players will be wearing their team road or home jerseys for All-Star game next season.

hallelujah. going to look dumb with the same hat though, but I’m willing to give it a try.

Going back to the old jerseys is old news.