Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

the radio post game show will be epic. lot of guys mom’s will still be at work so they can be loud on the phone 

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

@tx 3 putt still want the Tigers?

verlander is going to cut them a sweetheart deal and sign there

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Haha 2

I can't say I'm surprised by this flameout. We played like an old, ragtag roster for long stretches this year. The surprise (to me) was that Arlington and Seattle refused to keep us out of the postseason. I don't see that kind of generosity continuing, but who knows?

A good friend and hardcore O's fan in Maryland passed of cancer a couple weeks ago. He died waiting for his team to win another World Series. Their chances don't look good, but I'm going to pull hard for them as long as they're still in it. Might be only another hour.

5 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I am like a lot of you who are a little bit relieved to be free from the stress, but the Padres are my number two team, so I am all in on them.

all of my buddies are asking me who I'll root for now...

Fuck all of em.   I mean I'll watch, but there's only one squad I give a fuck about in baseball.

I figured we were running on the last tank of gas all year. Surprised we got this far actually. Front office and manager weakest in years. Espada vs Hinch was a mismatch (given the obvious experience difference in these post season situations). Problem is, we need to douche the front office (and silence any Bagwell opinions) and get a real manager.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LCHorn said:

This has really been an awful year as a fan and I don’t think it’s because we are spoiled by winning-we are spoiled by relatively good management.  

Let’s hope we see some strategic thinking in the off-season and a little luck wouldn’t hurt.  

find a manager that can instantly cure tommy john and i’ll throw in $100k for his signing bonus 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bullpen obviously didn't work out as intended. I'm sure a lot of us (me included) thought that Pressly/Abreu/Hader was gonna be a lockdown back end. Figured we'd rarely ever drop games if leading late. All 3 recorded ERA over 3.0 and took a combined 16 losses.

OF was a mess. Jake and Chas combined for a whopping 1.1 WAR over 700+ AB. Our one good true OF started out playing like an MVP and then a freak injury cost him the entire Summer, and he's still obviously not back up to snuff. We had to give several hundred additional AB to cast-offs or prospects not ready for primetime (Cabbage, Gamel, Heyward, Loperfido, Leon).

Yordan's knee decided to crap out just in time for the playoffs.

1B was such a black hole for the first 2 months of the season that Singleton filling in with 0.3 WAR and .700 OPS was a massive upgrade.

Starting pitching was really the one surprise strength, given how many innings had to be pitched by rookies, and the fact that 4 or 5 guys we figured would feature heavily either barely contributed or missed the entire season.

Got a lot of work to do in the offseason. Get a real 1B, get a real CF, upgrade 1B, replace Bregman somehow.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TOR said:

Dana Brown needed to be fired when Detroit made the last out.

I don’t want to fire Dana but he needs a team President Luhnow to help create the plan.  

10 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

i’d fire espada and money-whip francona.

I’m not terribly familiar with his flaws, but I want Kevin Cash.  

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

find a manager that can instantly cure tommy john and i’ll throw in $100k for his signing bonus

That’s an organizational problem.  If you’re going to throw up your hands and claim “every team is suffering from this,” I’m going to rebut that the team who proactively solves it is going to win championships.  

Maybe player health isn’t predictable but team health is.  We KNOW there needs to be extra starters for this very reason.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Bullpen obviously didn't work out as intended. I'm sure a lot of us (me included) thought that Pressly/Abreu/Hader was gonna be a lockdown back end. Figured we'd rarely ever drop games if leading late. All 3 recorded ERA over 3.0 and took a combined 16 losses.

OF was a mess. Jake and Chas combined for a whopping 1.1 WAR over 700+ AB. Our one good true OF started out playing like an MVP and then a freak injury cost him the entire Summer, and he's still obviously not back up to snuff. We had to give several hundred additional AB to cast-offs or prospects not ready for primetime (Cabbage, Gamel, Heyward, Loperfido, Leon).

Yordan's knee decided to crap out just in time for the playoffs.

1B was such a black hole for the first 2 months of the season that Singleton filling in with 0.3 WAR and .700 OPS was a massive upgrade.

Starting pitching was really the one surprise strength, given how many innings had to be pitched by rookies, and the fact that 4 or 5 guys we figured would feature heavily either barely contributed or missed the entire season.

Got a lot of work to do in the offseason. Get a real 1B, get a real CF, upgrade 1B, replace Bregman somehow.

diaz is playing 1st next year. if singelton signs for the min, he’s the back up 

27 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Javier came back to earth last year already.  Urquidy and Garcia are guys who pitch out of the pen in the playoffs if they make the roster.  Turns out in 2022 that a whole bunch of guys decided to have their career year.

Just like 2017

and 2023 for the rangers

and I’m sure many many other examples 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Scraps said:

What the hell am i gonna go in financial debt from now since i dont have playoff tickets to buy

Hookers and blow it is I guess

Lulz

smart minds

this is what i just texted a buddy:

On the bright side, I just saved a fuck ton of money this month….

On the down side, I’m probably going to push it all in to 3-4 hours on Oct 19 at DKR-TMS 😂

• Like 1