Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

I imagine Jeff Luhnow and James Click are watching somewhere laughing, based on how GMs Jim Crane, Jeff Bagwell, Dana Brown, and Reggie Jackson derailed this entire organization. They were the smartest people in the room and won stupid prizes. 

Can’t wait for 4 more years of Josh Hader!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

mangers look great when guys hit the ball and throw strikes 

Shitty managers also put pitchers into game situations they have failed at all season in playoff games and sit around waiting for a 3-run HR that isn't coming. Espada promised before the season that he would be more active with bunting, stealing, and hit and running. None of it happened with any real frequency which is why the Astros were so horrible in 1-run games and could barely scratch across 3 runs in the series, all coming in innings where the bunt was used.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I imagine Jeff Luhnow and James Click are watching somewhere laughing, based on how GMs Jim Crane, Jeff Bagwell, Dana Brown, and Reggie Jackson derailed this entire organization. They were the smartest people in the room and won stupid prizes. 

Can’t wait for 4 more years of Josh Hader!

Josh Hader can be traded, if need be.

Well that was a shitty end to the season. I thought they would at least win 1 against the Tigers, and we would get to see Skubal vs Kikuchi tomorrow for a win or go home game. There are a lot of questions for the off-season, but if they can find a way to keep Bregman and Kikuchi, I think they could round out the roster pretty well from there and win the division again next year. They aren't sunk yet, and if Tucker doesn't get a freak injury off a foul ball, this team probably has 93+ wins and a first round bye. Anyway, that's baseball. Get em next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well that was a shitty end to the season. I thought they would at least win 1 against the Tigers, and we would get to see Skubal vs Kikuchi tomorrow for a win or go home game. There are a lot of questions for the off-season, but if they can find a way to keep Bregman and Kikuchi, I think they could round out the roster pretty well from there and win the division again next year. They aren't sunk yet, and if Tucker doesn't get a freak injury off a foul ball, this team probably has 93+ wins and a first round bye. Anyway, that's baseball. Get em next year. 

Joe Espada needs to go to manager school.

I only have to make it 2 more hours and then we're going to Port A.  Honestly this team was so frustrating to watch I'm kind of relieved it's over.  I am very over running out a player you know is going to fail, but having to watch it happen anyway.  There was someone who fit that category pretty much the entire season.

• Hook 'Em 2

Flushed this loss already.   This team was so damn frustrating and the two L's in the playoffs perfectly encapsulated the season.

Solid starting pitching, can't score without bombs and a leaky bullpen just like the start of the year. Sadly the middle of our season where we took over the division was the anomaly.  

If Seattle doesn't crater offensively, we wouldn't have won the division.

Lets get some new blood and saddle up for 2025!

If Jose Abreu hadn't sucked, if LMJ, Garcia, Urquidy, Javier and Graveman wouldn't have gotten injured, if Tucker and Yordan hadn't been injured, if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

I'd probably re-sign Bregman for whatever it takes.  Dude is part of the core in every way - on the field, in the clubhouse, tough competitor, etc. etc. etc.  He's only 30.  Get him for as few years as you can, but the AAV has to be what it has to be to keep him.  I'd also roll with Singleton at 1B.  He had an OPS over 700, had a higher OBP than Bregman.  His ROI is higher than some big expensive free agent would be.  If you do that, you've got to upgrade in the OF.  With all of the pitching coming back healthy we should be a playoff team again.

• Hook 'Em 1