Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have been a sub .500 team over the last 162. Something went seriously wrong sometime in September last season. The Rangers collapse at the end of the regular season and our drawing a middling Twins teams in the ALDS masked it. But the truth is, this team was very close to missing the playoffs last season, and, so far, this season has just been a continuation of that. The worst part, imo, is that there doesn't seem to be any real hope it will improve near term. There is no reason to believe this team is a player or two away from competing, so buying doesn't make any sense, not that we have much in the farm to trade. And I have no faith in the FO (and realistically it's Baggy, Reggie, and Crane anyway) to navigate a rebuild, so trading Bregs, JV, or Framber would probably just result in us getting fleeced. The real kicker is I live too far from the stadium to enjoy what inevitably will be cheap tickets and nearly empty sections of the stadium. That was at least one bonus of the 2012-era team. 

All of this, except my sons might benefit from the opportunity to get into MMP for $10.

Fuck Jeff Bagwell. He is the Jack Easterby of the Astros and Crane is too dumb to see it. He manages a front office about as well as her performed in the playoffs. I was always and continue to be Team Biggio. If Dana Brown can evaluate talent, they should consider being sellers and move Bregman, JV, maybe Framber and Chas. Extend Tucker and rebuild around him and Yordan. Cut Jose Abreu immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

All of this, except my sons might benefit from the opportunity to get into MMP for $10.

that May pass was a great great deal. $70 for a walk in ticket, mon to thurs games. I think I went 9 or 10 times, @Scraps went more than me

highly recommend if/when it comes up again. Limited number so buy it up fast 

Taking a look at his advanced stats, Bregman isn't really deviating all that much from career numbers.  Maybe it's a little loss of line drive percentage here, a little loss of exit velocity there, plus bad luck.  The only area where there's a more demonstrative decline is walk rate. 

It would be kind of crazy if he was cooked at 30. 

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have been a sub .500 team over the last 162. Something went seriously wrong sometime in September last season. The Rangers collapse at the end of the regular season and our drawing a middling Twins teams in the ALDS masked it. But the truth is, this team was very close to missing the playoffs last season, and, so far, this season has just been a continuation of that. The worst part, imo, is that there doesn't seem to be any real hope it will improve near term. There is no reason to believe this team is a player or two away from competing, so buying doesn't make any sense, not that we have much in the farm to trade. And I have no faith in the FO (and realistically it's Baggy, Reggie, and Crane anyway) to navigate a rebuild, so trading Bregs, JV, or Framber would probably just result in us getting fleeced. The real kicker is I live too far from the stadium to enjoy what inevitably will be cheap tickets and nearly empty sections of the stadium. That was at least one bonus of the 2012-era team. 

Their position players have put up a combined 9.3 fwar and a 111 wRC+.  That is on par with their best teams in this era.

The rotation has put up 7 consecutive good starts.  Martinez is the only pitcher with a meaningful role who has an xfip over 4.58.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

the team got old 

Nah.  Verlander, Pressly, Abreu, and Altuve are the only guys firmly on the wrong side of the aging curve.  Brown, Arrighetti, B Abreu, Diaz, Pena, Tucker, and Yordan are all well before any likely age related decline.

This team has sucked because their SP gave them too many uncompetitive starts, their bullpen has melted down in high leverage, and their offense has had very poorly timed production.  Whether that’s bad luck, poor management, or some kind of quantifiable “clutch” metric, who knows.  But this roster is still relatively stacked.

• Hook 'Em 1

We’re still in this 
We will be in it awhile. The ALW sucks. Seattle is garbage at hitting so they will fade. Texas has their heads up their asses almost as much as we do. Oakland lulz. Angels blow ass.