Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Ok stay with me here.

Astros giving Trevor Bauer a look.

Trevor Bauer likes to do what?

Astros have a bunch of guys that act like what?

Bauer is going to bring that strong pimp hand and do work.

Let’s go!

Last 100 games- my prediction is 69 Wins and 31 Lawsuits 

• Drool 1

22 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.48.56.jpeg

Which Astros pitcher will be next to need TJ surgery? Valdez?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

IMG_0098.thumb.png.62be8d9f790d21f654fa3d6f29c79a68.png

On Brandon's first day in the office, the CEO of Stablewood (he/him) was heard yelling "fucking glad we got Taubman" at female executives.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m guessing he gets a shot at 3rd next season ?

Nah.  He is likely to strike out a lot in the majors, and he is not a great defender at 3B.  He projects more as a quality utility infielder who can hit for power and also offers value as a baserunner.  His power/speed combo do give him a high ceiling though if he can make enough contact.

At this point if the Astros don’t make a trade or sign a 3B in free agency, Dubon is likely the opening day 2025 3B, which wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Edited by Snake Diggity

52 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

At this point if the Astros don’t make a trade or sign a 3B in free agency, Dubon is likely the opening day 2025 3B, which wouldn’t be the end of the world.

yuck

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. Giving a backup a full time job seems like a really stupid idea. But then again we are giving full time ABs to Abreu and Meyers.

Meyers has been really good- like quasi all star good this year. Abreu is an affront to humanity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Nah.  He is likely to strike out a lot in the majors, and he is not a great defender at 3B.  He projects more as a quality utility infielder who can hit for power and also offers value as a baserunner.  His power/speed combo do give him a high ceiling though if he can make enough contact.

Any chance they try Loperfido at 3B some?  If you can play 2b and CF it seems worth 30/60 days at 3B on a try out basis (in the minors) 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Is Jim Crane on his way to becoming Jerry Jones?

It’s depressing to think about. Obviously, he made a great initial hire in Luhnow. With the passage of time, I can see that Click did a really good job.

He needs to empower an actual GM and let Bagwell/Reggie go back to just signing autographs.

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

Is Jim Crane on his way to becoming Jerry Jones?

It’s depressing to think about. Obviously, he made a great initial hire in Luhnow. With the passage of time, I can see that Click did a really good job.

He needs to empower an actual GM and let Bagwell/Reggie go back to just signing autographs.

He's already there, and he has shown no signs of course correction.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Meyers has been really good- like quasi all star good this year. Abreu is an affront to humanity. 

Once again he rode a hot streak aided by a unsustainable BABip, same as his 1st month as a pro. He's fools gold. His last 13 games he's put up a .500 OPS with 1 EBH, 4 BBs, and 13 Ks.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Once again he rode a hot streak aided by an unsustainable BABip, same as his 1st month as a pro. He's fools gold. His last 13 games he's put up a .500 OPS with 1 EBH, 4 BBs, and 13 Ks.

Cool. He plays near golf glove caliber defense and he’s still an above average hitter. To act like Jake meyers is somehow a problem with this team is really really dumb. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fwiw Keith Law has had beef with the Astros going back to before the sign stealing shit.  So I wouldn’t take his comments as gospel.

Prior to this season, Crane’s performance as an owner has been impeccable.  It’s possible the sign stealing stuff scared him away from empowering a GM/POBO, and I suppose it’s possible Bagwell/Biggio/Jackson/Cabell have gone Grima Wormtongue on him and made him think old-school thinking is the way.  But until Houston actually has an extended run of things not going to plan (like more than 1 bad month, which is where we’re currently at), I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Aside from Abreu, which was a deal almost universally lauded at the time, and letting his GM go after winning a World Series, the other factors contributing to this seasons poor performance are pretty explainable as not the owners fault.  Pitching injuries and bad luck can hammer any team at any time.  And that with the backdrop of a poor farm system due to a decade as deadline buyers and 4 lost draft picks for cheating.

• Hook 'Em 2

They nailed it with Dubon and Caratini, and Scott 

Abreu was widely applauded. I think he would have signed for less, but when it happened I agree’d the right move. I’m sure they ran him through medical and such 

I do like that we avoided a horrible signing this offseason. 

26 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Fwiw Keith Law has had beef with the Astros going back to before the sign stealing shit.  So I wouldn’t take his comments as gospel.

Prior to this season, Crane’s performance as an owner has been impeccable.  It’s possible the sign stealing stuff scared him away from empowering a GM/POBO, and I suppose it’s possible Bagwell/Biggio/Jackson/Cabell have gone Grima Wormtongue on him and made him think old-school thinking is the way.  But until Houston actually has an extended run of things not going to plan (like more than 1 bad month, which is where we’re currently at), I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Aside from Abreu, which was a deal almost universally lauded at the time, and letting his GM go after winning a World Series, the other factors contributing to this seasons poor performance are pretty explainable as not the owners fault.  Pitching injuries and bad luck can hammer any team at any time.  And that with the backdrop of a poor farm system due to a decade as deadline buyers and 4 lost draft picks for cheating.

It's been more than a month. The last 162 games they are under .500 and needed an epic collaspe by the Mariners and Rangers last year to make the playoffs.

33 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I used to exchange messages with Keith back when he was in college in the rec.sports days-pretty much every team’s fans think he has a beef with them.   I also don’t recall him being particularly complimentary even in the Luhnow days when he was just back from working as an assistant GM in Toronto.

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

They nailed it with Dubon and Caratini, and Scott 

Abreu was widely applauded. I think he would have signed for less, but when it happened I agree’d the right move. I’m sure they ran him through medical and such 

I do like that we avoided a horrible signing this offseason. 

Dubon was Click.

Posted (edited)

Back when Luhnow was first hired, Law interviewed for “several” positions with the Astros and “decided to remain at ESPN.” Dude’s been pissed Crane and Luhnow didn’t want him ever since. Pretty much all the dudes Crane/Luhnow hired for those spots are now GMs, and Law (checks notes) is still writing because he hasn’t been hired by another team.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

The X verse and Facebook were all about Astros getting him. Do people not even watch baseball? 

It should be a MLB rule that sons of HOFers cannot play for the team who’s hat dad is wearing in Cooperstown.

just no win for son or dad 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It's been more than a month. The last 162 games they are under .500 and needed an epic collaspe by the Mariners and Rangers last year to make the playoffs.

Meh.  You’re gonna have a hard time selling the idea of an ALCS game 7 as an unsuccessful season.

18 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Meh.  You’re gonna have a hard time selling the idea of an ALCS game 7 as an unsuccessful season.

Losing all 4 of your home games in the ALCS, with the last 2 being blow outs isn't the success you think it is, but continue to suck Crane's cock, maybe he will invite you into the inner circle.

Cavan Biggio DFA’d. How many .200 hitters can we has? 
Not him.
The X verse and Facebook were all about Astros getting him. Do people not even watch baseball? 
Fixed our 3rd baseman of the future problem in 10 hours!
  • Drool 1