Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

That’s fangraphs #3, 6, 13, and 16 prospects from Pittsburgh.  A big factor on evaluating that would be if Toronto is eating any of Vlad’s remaining 2024 money.  An equivalent package from Houston would be something like IF Brice Matthews, P AJ Blubaugh, P Miguel Ullola, and P Alonzo Tredwell.  That’s a steep cost for an expensive 1B, but I would be ok with that especially if Toronto ate most of the remaining money.

Edited by Snake Diggity

23 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yeah, no thanks.  I’d rather chase a pitcher.

Adding Bassitt or Gausman (or even Kikuchi) to Vlad and increasing the prospect package a bit seems to make a lot of sense to me, if Crane is down to stretch the payroll.  It would also put Arrighetti (or Bloss) in play as a trade chip which would lessen the burden on the position player side of the farm to get the trade done.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Adding Bassitt or Gausman

I actually just want Gausman and for Toronto to chip in on the ‘25 salary for someone like Melton straight up (I’m not a believer, sell high).  That said, Gausman had a ROUGH June and might be hurt and we have plenty of those already.  

14 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I actually just want Gausman and for Toronto to chip in on the ‘25 salary for someone like Melton straight up (I’m not a believer, sell high).  That said, Gausman had a ROUGH June and might be hurt and we have plenty of those already.  

Or you could include Montero to help with the salary. We could always take back a reunion with Yimi.

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

That’s fangraphs #3, 6, 13, and 16 prospects from Pittsburgh.  A big factor on evaluating that would be if Toronto is eating any of Vlad’s remaining 2024 money.  An equivalent package from Houston would be something like IF Brice Matthews, P AJ Blubaugh, P Miguel Ullola, and P Alonzo Tredwell.  That’s a steep cost for an expensive 1B, but I would be ok with that especially if Toronto ate most of the remaining money.

That's a lot and I would probably do it- but I'd try really hard to keep Ullola out of the package.  Melton, Matthews Blubah and Tredwell if Toronto takes back Montero and Graveman and kicks in $10M for next year.  If they aren't going to send back any money or take any bad contracts I think it's: Pick whatever position player you want in the minors and pick whatever pitcher you want in the minors as my top offer. 

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Orange colored glasses

it’s trash 

Nah.  It might lack superstar players but it's going to be an assembly line of competent major league position players and pitchers that are regular starters. That's valuable on club control.  Allows you to pay your superstars if you extend them at the right time.  

I guess if you just want to talk about high end potential star then you can say it's trash.  But, with the development team and the pitchers I'm not going to say it isn't possible that they won't turn someone into a star. 

The system has been considered "trash" for the last 3 years and it's given you:  Chas, Jake, Pena, Diaz, Salazar, Loperfido, Garcia, Brown, Arrighetti, France (huge last year), Blanco- Diaz was a trade but I'd give us the lions share of development- he came over as an A ball dude so I'm going to say he counts in the same way Yordan counts as home grown and developed.    That group collectively makes about 10M and that's going to produce something like 20 War this year.

Guys I think can do similar coming up out of this system that's considered trash:

Dezenzo, Whitcomb, Wagner,  Leon, Melton, Mathews (I bet you have 3 MLB regulars out of that group and I bet you have 2 fringe guys- who knows which is which)

PItching- Ullola- potential ace- potential bust- I like him and I'm betting on him and our development staff.  Bloss, Blubaugh, Tredwell, Kouba, Gordon- those guys will see time at the big league level and so will some pitchers you've never heard of in our system.

I think Baez has star level talent- I'm dreaming on him- but he could also never make it to the bigs.  

The Astros system is very good at developing guys to contribute at the big league level.  Dana Brown is a swing big type so I assume he's going to be looking at trying to find some top end talent that's special but more likley to bust.  I also really like the kid from Houston Ochoa in the 11th round. He's hitting bombs at A ball as an 18 year old and he throws 95 MPH on the mound so you know he's got the arm that drives everyone around here nuts about Jake and Chas.  That's a guy you should be happy every time you add one like him to the system as if you do that every year you only need 1 if 5 of 6 to really hit and you are in good shape.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I ‘member when Urquidy made a second minor-league rehab start….

He didn't actually have surgery though- he was trying to pitch through it with rest and rehab- right?  Guys that have actually had the survey come back and  are basically their normal selves like 90% of the time.  We should be ok (knock on wood- take it with a huge grain of sand).

• Hook 'Em 1