Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, WBT said:

congrats

Nice catch, getting on base and rbi don’t count.

also- ignore the fact that he almost singlehandedly won us the game scoring 4 times on Saturday. Also doesn’t count. 
we could net it down to fWar or bWar or something crazy like that and say he’s something like the 50th best OF in baseball or something like that- or look at a 730 ops,  but it’s a lot easier to say he’s maybe a 5th OF at best. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nice catch, getting on base and rbi don’t count.

also- ignore the fact that he almost singlehandedly won us the game scoring 4 times on Saturday. Also doesn’t count. 
we could net it down to fWar or bWar or something crazy like that and say he’s something like the 50th best OF in baseball or something like that- or look at a 730 ops,  but it’s a lot easier to say he’s maybe a 5th OF at best. 

Amazing he wasn't selected for the AS game with such stellar consistent performances .

Edited by HtownHorn

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Amazing he wasn't selected for the AS game with such stellar consistent performances .

I never said he is an all star. I said you eat paint chips when you say he’s a non roster candidate and at best 5th Of. 
I’m completely and totally happy with my analysis of Jake as an above average CF in MLB, a valuable OF and a guy you’d ideally like hitting 8th or 9th with Peña (also an average bat at a premium defensive position) hitting in the other spot.

League average offensively (which Jake is for his career however you want to torture or twist which numbers we should count and which we shouldn’t) with premium defense at a defense first position (he leads the AL and is 3rd in the majors for outs above average in the OF- even with his girly arm) is a valuable player. Is it theoretically possible to upgrade?  Sure. But you’d do better to first look to upgrade 1B, then LF, then starting pitcher, then bullpen before you even get to the point where you consider trying to get better than Jake on this roster. 

as to runthebone- you are a board treasure and I celebrate your entire catalogue. Happy 4th brother 

9 hours ago, runthebone said:

Might have had 3 starters if Tucker had both legs.  I'm old enough to remember when he was bipedal 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I never said he is an all star. I said you eat paint chips when you say he’s a non roster candidate and at best 5th Of. 
I’m completely and totally happy with my analysis of Jake as an above average CF in MLB, a valuable OF and a guy you’d ideally like hitting 8th or 9th with Peña (also an average bat at a premium defensive position) hitting in the other spot.

League average offensively (which Jake is for his career however you want to torture or twist which numbers we should count and which we shouldn’t) with premium defense at a defense first position (he leads the AL and is 3rd in the majors for outs above average in the OF- even with his girly arm) is a valuable player. Is it theoretically possible to upgrade?  Sure. But you’d do better to first look to upgrade 1B, then LF, then starting pitcher, then bullpen before you even get to the point where you consider trying to get better than Jake on this roster. 

as to runthebone- you are a board treasure and I celebrate your entire catalogue. Happy 4th brother 

This is the assessment of Jake I agree with most. Maybe you just explained it better this time or I pushed my hater shades down my nose a little. If he could just smooth out the highs and lows for a consistent .245-.250 instead of hitting .325 for two weeks and .120 with 40% Ks for a month and hit 8th or 9th, I’d be all in his corner. The feast or famine is frustrating. His numbers are about the same as Jake Marisnick and he was just a defensive replacement on a good team. Jake isn’t going anywhere so I’m rooting for him to get a little more consistent, Tucker comes back and we add another bat to put in the lineup ahead of him and we march on this year. He will never be my favorite but there isn’t any reason to wish him not to get better. No more hateration from me. Go DFA! 

3 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Who’s the idoit that scheduled a US team to play in Canada on the 4th?  Plainly a commie sympathizer …

Well we did beat them in Canada on Canada day so perhaps it is someone who wanted a team to asset US dominance. Now if only Espada knew how to fill out a lineup card