Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

He's really good defensively and has more power.  He might K his way out of the league though.  I don't think I'd want to give up on him quite so soon though.  The only thing that gives me hope on his strikeouts are that he takes so many strikes that he shouldn't.  If they can find a way to fix that, it would help a lot.

Edited by kevwun

29 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He's really good defensively and has more power.  He might K his way out of the league though.  I don't think I'd want to give up on him quite so soon though.  The only thing that gives me hope on his strikeouts are that he takes so many strikes that he shouldn't.  If they can find a way to fix that, it would help a lot.

He watches way too many first pitch strikes down the middle then swings at a shitty second pitch. Sometimes you gotta swing at the first one. 

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Not if you’re giving prospects + being a two month rental, imo 

Oh no, not the prospects. Even though the two prospects everyone was bitching about last year for Verlander suck now. Name one prospect that we gave away since 2017 that has made us regret the trade? Probably Abreu, but only because Dusty stupidly blocked the better trade and made Click reach for Vazquez.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Oh no, not the prospects. Even though the two prospects everyone was bitching about last year for Verlander suck now. Name one prospect that we gave away since 2017 that has made us regret the trade?

Teoscar Hernandez for a lefty that wasn’t on the World Series roster is maybe one? Didn’t cost that team but could have help lengthen the lineup while on a rookie deal

Hmmm ….

Chas McCormick has a .576 OPS this year. Martin Maldonado had a higher OPS in every season with the Astros except 2021 when he produced a .573 figure. Chas is struggling would be an understatement. His current OPS is 200 points below his career average. Gotta get his bat going.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

He's 30.  His arm is in better shape than the usual rookie pitcher.

Eh, kinda. But let’s not act like he’s a long-time SP in the minors that finally found a secret weapon. 

The last time he broke 1,000 pitches before last year was 2018.

He threw a total of 2,130 pitches last year.

He’ll be at ~1,700 at the ASB.

IMG_1380.thumb.png.be43b45d9994fb8baa8828019285eaed.png

IMG_1378.thumb.jpeg.32b71db3de5e5acd3017ad7a9e423b68.jpeg

Chas is a 115 OPS+ guy over 88% of his career PAs (2021-2023) and 65 OPS+ over 12% (2024). 

Seems reasonable to assume that he is probably more like the guy we’ve seen 88% of his career than the guy we’ve seen this season. Players don’t typically collapse at age 29, and players frequently have bad 166-PA stretches. It’s possible that he’s done as a good MLB player, but I don’t think that is the most likely scenario.

(Not saying I wouldn’t trade him in the right deal, just that he probably hasn’t just ceased being a good player.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Chas is a 115 OPS+ guy over 88% of his career PAs (2021-2023) and 65 OPS+ over 12% (2024). 

Seems reasonable to assume that he is probably more like the guy we’ve seen 88% of his career than the guy we’ve seen this season. Players don’t typically collapse at age 29, and players frequently have bad 166-PA stretches. It’s possible that he’s done as a good MLB player, but I don’t think that is the most likely scenario.

(Not saying I wouldn’t trade him in the right deal, just that he probably hasn’t just ceased being a good player.)

I hope one of 29 GMs agrees with you