Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Another game where our manager doesn't understand that you play for the tie when you are the home team, because you always get the last AB. I don't give a shit it was Altuve, he should have bunted the runner the 3rd to put pressure on the Rangers to make a defensive play to keep the tying run from scoring.

give up an out with 3 franchise goats up to bat ?

ballsy 

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

give up an out with 3 franchise goats up to bat ?

ballsy 

I mean you take your chances that Bregman can advance a guy 90' with the defense playing in, they were always walking Alvarez. But that would take players that are willing to sacrifice for the team over individual stats, and the Astros don't do it.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean you take your chances that Bregman can advance a guy 90' with the defense playing in, they were always walking Alvarez. But that would take players that are willing to sacrifice for the team over individual stats, and the Astros don't do it.

You really think any of those 3 are like that ?

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Happy Saturday, Astros fans!

Let's remember some posts!

Look at my April posts for the last 5 years.

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eovaldi catching fire is mildly concerning. He might keep the Rangers treading water until the trade deadline.

Spaghetti pitched well, but we couldn’t get the bats going. Oh well. 

9 hits.

Just not at the right time to score.

1 run.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

No one can bunt anymore.

the rangers 9 hole hitter out front not being able to do it in the 7th should have told ya 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eovaldi catching fire is mildly concerning. He might keep the Rangers treading water until the trade deadline.

Spaghetti pitched well, but we couldn’t get the bats going. Oh well. 

I knew we were in trouble when we got 4 in a row on with 1 out in the first and only got 1 run 

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

No one can bunt anymore.

the rangers 9 hole hitter out front not being able to do it in the 7th should have told ya 

Altuve tries to bunt for a hit once or twice a month, especially when he's not seeing the ball that great. He tried bunting earlier in the game and fouled a ball right into Heim's dick.

The Uncle Mike organizational desperation makes more sense now. They don’t have players that understand and can execute situational hitting. 

Bregs was asked to do this at LSU, but he completely changed his plate approach and swing in the majors. He and Boras understand they need power numbers to get the next contract. So while he has the ability, he won’t jeopardize his money, and the team will suffer. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Altuve tries to bunt for a hit once or twice a month, especially when he's not seeing the ball that great. He tried bunting earlier in the game and fouled a ball right into Heim's dick.

You’re supporting your argument that Altuve should have bunted by pointed out Altuve fail at bunting?

that said, I do like the bunt. It’s infuriating to me major leaguers can’t do it successfully more often. But given how miniscule a part of the game it is now, I can’t really fault them for not putting in the time to be good at it. I’d rather they put time towards working on weaknesses that they encounter much more often (like laying off an outside slider).

but I also think every team needs to have at least one “designated bunter.” A guy like Kessinger should be spending  a significant portion of his BP time working on bunting off MLB-caliber pitching to be able to be inserted in to the game when the need arises (and in the right place in the order).

Edited by UTexasFight

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Also organizationally, it feels like we have way too many 2 and 3 tool players. 

Loperfido has pop, speed, and a glove. But he’s a green light to run on and has pretty well stated contact issues. 

Umm.

You looking for ‘27 yankees?

how many orgs have more than a couple 4 or 5 tool guys?

We won two World Series with what, two 5 tool players in ‘17 (springer, Correa)  and one in ‘22 (tucker)?

Edited by UTexasFight
I guess you could add ‘17 Bregs
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Umm.

You looking for ‘27 yankees?

how many orgs have more than a couple 4 or 5 tool guys?

We won two World Series with what, two 5 tool players in ‘17 (springer, Correa)  and one in ‘22 (tucker)?

I should have stated this better. They need a better mix of players’ strengths. They’ve had to decimate their farm system to stay in contention, so I get it. The next Tucker ain’t walking through that door anytime soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Seattle at the deadline should be fun. They need to sell out to win now because this is best look they’ll get at it. 

They’re due for an arm injury or two.

idk what they are going to do about their offense. 

Dana:

Draft (28th overall pick/ don't pick gain until 3rd round (lost 2nd rounder due to Hader signing): We have a guess on who will be available. Usually don't get consensus on a guy at the 28th pick; want a good experienced player to go with analytics, and then apply what does his makeup look like. Dana is heavily involved in first round pick and then relies more on the team (cross-checking the picks after); 10th/11th round on, let the team do their thing.  Feels the draft is deep in position players. Doesn't feel there will be many pitchers going off the board early.

JV threw a bullpen today: were getting worried there but glad he felt good enough to throw a bullpen.  Will know tomorrow how he feels

Luis Garcia: not concerned. sometimes have to take foot off the gas and see how he feels. better to get him back at the beginning of august instead of pushing him by end of July

Penn Murphy(!) (he of giving up Pena 18th inning homer in Seattle fame): has been throwing bullpens. Penn has been feeling good about his rehabs. Dana likes his lower arm angle

LMJ: got a 2nd opinion. hopes he gets to throwing more. hope to see him in our bullpen in september. have to see how it plays out.

Aledmys: more about leadership. may see Kessinger go get more ABs in AAA (been on their mind that he's just sitting in Houston not doing anything)

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Dana:

Draft (28th overall pick/ don't pick gain until 3rd round (lost 2nd rounder due to Hader signing): We have a guess on who will be available. Usually don't get consensus on a guy at the 28th pick; want a good experienced player to go with analytics, and then apply what does his makeup look like. Dana is heavily involved in first round pick and then relies more on the team (cross-checking the picks after); 10th/11th round on, let the team do their thing.  Feels the draft is deep in position players. Doesn't feel there will be many pitchers going off the board early.

JV threw a bullpen today: were getting worried there but glad he felt good enough to throw a bullpen.  Will know tomorrow how he feels

Luis Garcia: not concerned. sometimes have to take foot off the gas and see how he feels. better to get him back at the beginning of august instead of pushing him by end of July

Penn Murphy(!) (he of giving up Pena 18th inning homer in Seattle fame): has been throwing bullpens. Penn has been feeling good about his rehabs. Dana likes his lower arm angle

LMJ: got a 2nd opinion. hopes he gets to throwing more. hope to see him in our bullpen in september. have to see how it plays out.

Aledmys: more about leadership. may see Kessinger go get more ABs in AAA (been on their mind that he's just sitting in Houston not doing anything)

I just don't trust anything he says when it comes to injuries. The organization has openly lied about injuries in every season since Crane took over.

53 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

We need many hits today 

A few walks would be helpful as well.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

Last night was my first time to really see the pitch challenge shit in minors.

MLB should start doing that shit immediately out of the AS break

It’s infuriating.

stfu about “well, we have to calibrate it to every major leaguer.”

Just do it already