Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

17 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

First baseman.

Last 7:

IMG_1973.thumb.jpeg.9643df2a14f83722aff3185a30bef5ae.jpeg

Worth a flyer if you can’t land the big fish (Vladdy) and seeing if he can re-create what he did the last two months of last year after being traded? (.270/.338/.480 )

Reveal hidden contents

Josh Bell

Bah gawd. That’s Dana Brown’s music!

IMG_2003.thumb.jpeg.633072d611badd2c9899c957f6a83910.jpeg

Edited by UTexasFight

11 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Loperfidos time appears done here

Except for this… it really didn’t sound like Dana had any intention to get a bat, and a couple perfect LFers got moved for dick and we didn’t make that happen. So… ugh what a fucking ugly 2 days so far with other teams doing shit and is not. 
48 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

Is Skenes confirmed for tomorrow? 

Yes

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/roster/probable-pitchers/2024-07-29

Cashed in the pair of free Field Level tickets I got from buying one of the packages on Astros Foundation night last year for this one

9 yo is pretty excited 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 4

This is starting to feel like the Christmas where all the presents you open up are socks and underwear and that pet mom and dad you promised ended up being a bird or a fish or something. 
I cried so hard during that Xmas- it sucked. I will cry at least that hard if our trading haul ends up being some overpriced shitty reliever and a shitty platoon bat. 

• Haha 1

This is starting to feel like the Christmas where all the presents you open up are socks and underwear and that pet mom and dad you promised ended up being a bird or a fish or something. 
I cried so hard during that Xmas- it sucked. I will cry at least that hard if our trading haul ends up being some overpriced shitty reliever and a shitty platoon bat. 

eca2bff383b19e93df099870e4857a51.jpg
  • Haha 1

Why are you acting like someone who has never experienced a trade deadline before? You’re smarter than this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

a 26 yo of prospect isn’t going to get you much ?

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

a) Who do you want?

b) Who are you willing to give up?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Why are you acting like someone who has never experienced a trade deadline before? You’re smarter than this.

I mean- I’m not saying that’s how it’s going to go down. I’m saying that’s how it feels right now. If we get Yandy Diaz from the Tampa flea market- OK- cool- but that was like 3rd choice. This deadline just feels lien a couple of the other lousy ones right now where we hear about how close we were to this that or the other before pivoting to plan D and G. 
it’s obviously early, but it’s not that early anymore. 

I mean- I’m not saying that’s how it’s going to go down. I’m saying that’s how it feels right now. If we get Yandy Diaz from the Tampa flea market- OK- cool- but that was like 3rd choice. This deadline just feels lien a couple of the other lousy ones right now where we hear about how close we were to this that or the other before pivoting to plan D and G. 
it’s obviously early, but it’s not that early anymore. 

I’ve been a bit disengaged from the deadline gossip this year, but are there real thoughts that we acquire a difference-maker? What the hell kinda package are people expecting us to be able to put together?

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

a) Who do you want?

b) Who are you willing to give up?

I wanted Arozarena, Paredes, Rooker, Vlad or Robert (2 of the 5 anyway) 

From the pitching side pick one of Snell, Fleherty, Skubal, Gausman or Crochet (before he said he was going into operation shut down if traded. And maybe a 6th inning reliever.

As to what I’d be willing to give up?  Literally Chas or Jake, Loperfido, Arrighetti or Bloss, and everyone (I mean literally everyone- nobody off limits and no amount of players too high) in the farm system as long as that represents actual fair value. 
So- if the price for Rooker is Melton, Mathews Blubaugh and Arrighetti do it. 
if it’s Paredes for Jake  and Mathews and Baez and Ullolo- cool. 
Snell should be something like Montero, Leon and Whitley (they went out of the last of his contract for this year and off the hook for the option that’s coming next year only as a downside to the team- iE he gets hurt, exercises it and it’s 33M they owe him). 
but- the point is if we got those guys we wouldn’t need anyone in the minors (so to speak) because our lineup would be set everywhere but LF and 1B through 27. And I suspect if the Sam houston catcher is good (who can’t be traded) the answer at 1B is Yainer Diaz in 26 when he should be ready to go- so that leaves just RF. Sign Tucker or a 10/300 deal and be the favorite to win the AL through 2027 with this lineup:

Altuve, Yordan, Rooker, Tucker, Paredes, Diaz, Chas, Pena, Sam houston catcher.  

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I hate to break it to you but Paredes was traded to the Cubs this afternoon. Seems like an armchair GM would know that. 

40 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ve been a bit disengaged from the deadline gossip this year, but are there real thoughts that we acquire a difference-maker? What the hell kinda package are people expecting us to be able to put together?

We’ve been rumored to be in on every important player at the deadline. 
we have plenty to offer if we offer plenty. 
I think the Astros currently have 2 guys who could be stars, 8 or 10 guys who I see as average to above average MLB regulars (call it 3 or 4 of them hit) and a shitload of pitchers that will be at least MOR guys. 

category 1- potential stars:  Matthews and Baez

Category 2- potential average or better regulars (in order of my belief that it happens): Dezenzo, Leon, Whitcomb, Melton, Loperfido, Zach Cole, Wagner (not a regular but an above average utility guy) 

pitchers- potential Ace- Ullola

MOR guys- Arrighetti, Bloss, Blubaugh, Gordon and a host of other guys that the Astros dig up and develop every single year. 
Honorable mention for Forest Whitley who looks/ to me- like he’s gotten to the point where he should be a big leaguer, worst case scenario middle innings guy/ best case scenario probably a leverage guy. I think he either gets traded and immediately promoted or he’s up for good on Wednesday/Friday but that’s just a guess. 

I know we are ranked like 28th but we’ve been ranked terribly since Tucker graduated and Whitley busted. All we’ve done since then is promote the following guys who were on nobody’s prospect list but have been average or above MLB regulars at their positions:

Brown, Garcia, Urquidy, Pena, Chas, Bryan Abreu, Jake Meyers, Yainer Diaz I mean- that’s average 2 above average players a year- which is insane from a “shitty” farm system. 
this year we’ve seen Loperfido and Arrighetti promoted who are both proving they belong some days and not quite ready others (I’m not quite ready to lump them in with the other success stories above because those 8 all have had 2 or 3+ WAR seasons already which is the mark of being an above average regular) , but I’d bet on them getting there due to their makeup and high points right now, plus Bloss who is way too early to tell but I kind of like. 

We aren’t the Orioles or the Dodgers but we are so damn much. Better than we are given credit for on the farm that it’s ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I hate to break it to you but Paredes was traded to the Cubs this afternoon. Seems like an armchair GM would know that. 

I am well aware of that. Notice the past tense with the word WANTED not want- which would presuppose all those guys were available still. I also wanted Arrozarena but we already litigated  that trade here so in the interest of brevity I didn’t bring it up again, as he  was traded 3 or 4 days ago. That’s my entire point about it’s getting to be not early anymore. 
that was my wish list going into this weekend. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I wanted Arozarena, Paredes, Rooker, Vlad or Robert (2 of the 5 anyway) 

From the pitching side pick one of Snell, Fleherty, Skubal, Gausman or Crochet (before he said he was going into operation shut down if traded. And maybe a 6th inning reliever.

As to what I’d be willing to give up?  Literally Chas or Jake, Loperfido, Arrighetti or Bloss, and everyone (I mean literally everyone- nobody off limits and no amount of players too high) in the farm system as long as that represents actual fair value. 
So- if the price for Rooker is Melton, Mathews Blubaugh and Arrighetti do it. 
Snell should be something like Montero, Leon and Whitley (they went out of the last of his contract for this year and off the hook for the option that’s coming next year only as a downside to the team- iE he gets hurt, exercises it and it’s 33M they owe him). 
but- the point is if we got those guys we wouldn’t need anyone in the minors (so to speak) because our lineup would be set everywhere but LF and 1B through 27. And I suspect if the Sam houston catcher is good (who can’t be traded) the answer at 1B is Yainer Diaz in 26 when he should be ready to go- so that leaves just RF. Sign Tucker or a 10/300 deal and be the favorite to win the AL through 2027 with this lineup:

Altuve, Yordan, Rooker, Tucker, Paredes, Diaz, Chas, Pena, Sam houston catcher.  

tl;dr

• Hook 'Em 1

Yandy Diaz would probably be just fine as a fallback option- he’s got a 108 OPs+ and that’s way lower than in years past, but he had a dreadful start to the year and has been over 800 OPs since May 1. He’s probably not washed or anything and just had a rough start. 
He’s guaranteed through 25, with a team option in 26 so he probably would be fine as the bridge to something else at 1B in 25 or 26. Beyond that- unless the Jays move Vlad Jr which they are saying they won’t it gets dicey as far as guys you’d actually be excited about at 1B. Maybe Cody Bellinger but fuck that guy- do not want. 
Lamont Wade Jr if the Giants sell and don’t mind giving up a guy with control through 25. 
I wanted Winker but he got dealt as well already today or yesterday. After that if it’s not Rooker it feels like you are in the Pham or Taylor Ward or Conforto bargain basement in the OF already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm fine with Loperfido being out there. And by that I mean as a late-inning defensive replacement when we're throwing a fly ball pitcher. No batting at all. 

Probably not a popular take, but I think he needs more chances. He's been successful at every level and started off hot in the bigs. He was bound to cool off some, plus pitchers now have film on him. Need to give him a chance to make adjustments and see if he can get hot again. I think the Stros have screwed up his promotion from the beginning. No doubt I'll get negs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Probably not a popular take, but I think he needs more chances. He's been successful at every level and started off hot in the bigs. He was bound to cool off some, plus pitchers now have film on him. Need to give him a chance to make adjustments and see if he can get hot again. I think the Stros have screwed up his promotion from the beginning. No doubt I'll get negs. 

I’m with you. I just don’t know if the last 60 games of the season is the time for more ABs. If can afford the ABs. But he is one of my favorite guys. I’d like to see him make it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I’m with you. I just don’t know if the last 60 games of the season is the time for more ABs. If can afford the ABs. But he is one of my favorite guys. I’d like to see him make it. 

He'd be taking time away from Dubon, Meyers, and McCormick. That shouldn't be a problem. Those 3 have combined to hit .243/.293/.379/.672 over 725 ABs. The only reason he shouldn't play against every RHP we face over the final 60 games is the Astros traded for a real MLB level player to play the OF.

• Hook 'Em 1

PSA for anyone going to the game tomorrow: Biden will be in Houston Monday to pay his respects to Jackson Lee, I assume at City Hall where she will be lying in state (after a stop in Austin to deliver remarks at the LBJ library to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act).
Have no idea what time but something to keep an eye on for getting to the game.

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

PSA for anyone going to the game tomorrow: Biden will be in Houston Monday to pay his respects to Jackson Lee, I assume at City Hall where she will be lying in state (after a stop in Austin to deliver remarks at the LBJ library to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act).
Have no idea what time but something to keep an eye on for getting to the game.

Biden will travel to Houston on Monday and is expected to visit Houston City Hall, where Jackson Lee is lying in state.

13 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I like Joey's future. I just hate having him take many swings (or worse yet, called strikes) in key situations at this point in a difficult season. Were we up 10 games and in a position to leisurely plug in young bats to prep them for the future, I'd be all for him getting a good bit of run right now. Maybe that's the case in a month, but at this point I'd rather have most of Joey's ABs being taken by a deadline acquisition. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Josh Bell. Except I expect the Marlins will eat most of that 

Josh Bell is a streaky SOB, he'll play at an all star level for a while then will just disappear. Looks like the Astros can have him for the remainder of the season for 6 million.