Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

50 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yes you will.

think of how much longer the window stays open with an HOFer OFer, SP, and 2B/3B each with 6 years of control.

that’s another generation of JV/Tucker/Altuve 

I mean- they aren't going to be HOFers obviously.  But if we win the WS this year and he plays an integral role I won't care if Bloss becomes a #2, Loperfido is a plus regular and Wagner is the second coming of Dubon.  

53 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's true with regard to what we gave up. You won't know anything about them by October 1. 

If we don't make the playoffs it was an awful trade- regardless of what we gave up and what it turned out to be. We just won't know the final accounting on how awful it was.  You said we won't know if it's a good or bad trade for 6 or 7 years.  If we don't make the playoffs (or God forbid he gets hurt) then we know its a bad trade.  Like, with 100 percent certainty.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we don't make the playoffs it was an awful trade- regardless of what we gave up and what it turned out to be. We just won't know the final accounting on how awful it was.  You said we won't know if it's a good or bad trade for 6 or 7 years.  If we don't make the playoffs (or God forbid he gets hurt) then we know its a bad trade.  Like, with 100 percent certainty.  

I didn't say 6 or 7 years. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

I didn't say 6 or 7 years. 

You should have?  You said years.  The proper accounting period for any trade if you want to measure what went away is the period of time the other club has control- ergo 6 or 7 years.  OK- maybe Wagner takes a year to call up and it's 8 years.  But the point is we can know this trade was terrible by October 1 or really good by November 1- we don't need to wait "years"  That's the case with a rental. If it helps you get what you want it's wait and see for what you gave up. If it doesn't help you hit your goal its a failure and the only thing left to reasonably do is measure the size of the failure. 

I'd feel a lot better about these moves if this organization actually had a history of taking middling pitching castoffs and turning them into pretty damn good pitchers. This just smacks of more of the same.....

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The question is who

Chas?

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

I'd feel a lot better about these moves if this organization actually had a history of taking middling pitching castoffs and turning them into pretty damn good pitchers. This just smacks of more of the same.....

Chas?

Minor leaguer so not Chas

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You should have?  You said years.  The proper accounting period for any trade if you want to measure what went away is the period of time the other club has control- ergo 6 or 7 years.  OK- maybe Wagner takes a year to call up and it's 8 years.  But the point is we can know this trade was terrible by October 1 or really good by November 1- we don't need to wait "years"  That's the case with a rental. If it helps you get what you want it's wait and see for what you gave up. If it doesn't help you hit your goal its a failure and the only thing left to reasonably do is measure the size of the failure. 

I'm OK with it. It's boring, but whatever. The Astros obviously did not have those three in their long term plans.

Dana better have nailed this last amateur draft.

we’re already down $500k in international pool money for next year from signing Hader (currently with T-3 smallest pool and likely to move down to /below the dodgers/giants level for lowest at $5.146M)

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

The more egregious screwup imo is being in this situation in the first place. Had they added starting pitching depth in the offseason, we aren't desperate to make a move for a pitcher at the trade deadline. 

This. It's so much cheaper to spend 5-10m on a 1 year deal for a 5th starter than trading multiple prospects mid season. 

17 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Chas?

You mean like Maton, Neris, Stanek, Scott, King, Ort, etc...

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think I am starting to understand the strategy;

Two weeks ago no one would take Dana Brown's calls.

word go out the Astros are regarded and will give you any ting you wan! 

Now he gets them all on the line and he is ready to strike! Watch the magic happen!

Just now, TejasPedro said:

I think I am starting to understand the strategy;

Two weeks ago no one would take Dana Brown's calls.

word go out the Astros are regarded and will give you any ting you wan! 

Now he gets them all on the line and he is ready to strike! Watch the magic happen!

You really think the Astros are all that concerned about what they gave up?

Really?

• Hook 'Em 1

On a side note. Is there any explanation of why the Astros games on Spacecity Network have so many damn people hosting, cohosting, reporting. Post game seems like there are 4 different people in constant rotation. In the studio on the field in lounge/living room set. It’s a mess.

Gave myself nearly 24 hours before commenting on the trade and while it was an overpay, it is not nearly as bad as I originally thought. Maybe this is me trying to huff some copium but it does give some perspective in my eyes. Reminder our farm system is ass

-Wagner is an org bat with no real position and zero power plus hes 26. Those dudes are a dime a dozen plus the only position he can actually play is second base, which is pretty occupied 

-Loperfido is 25, strikes out a ton and is probably a utility dude in the long term. Definitely will miss him but its not like we traded Jose Ramirez. I also dont think Brown makes this move if he thinks anyone but Tucker will be in right in the next few years...thats how you get the goodwill back Dana. Sign the mother fucker

-Bloss had a fantastic year in the minors but has never thrown over 76 innings in the minors and just dealt with shoulder issues (I am unaware of the rest of his medical history). He also has a major problem walking lefties. Could he be a #2, sure, could he be a righty only bullpen guy, sure. Its a high upside arm and IMO really the only major loss in this deal

-Kikuchi...Numbers dont look great, results dont look great. Stuff is excellent, dude averages 96 on his fastball from the left side, only Ragans Skubal and Crochet average higher from the left side. He Ks people, doesnt walk people. The issue is contact, I think a lot of that is fixable and a lot of that has to do with luck as well. Is he going to suddenly change what he is and become The Big Unit, no, but I think he will give some solid innings and probably start in the postseason or be one hell of a bridge to abreu, pressly, hader. Just help get us to the dance and lets party!

Again this is probably copium and who knows what this looks like in 5 years. Win another ring and who gives a fuck about the rest

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Caleb Ferguson is ass

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I think he will give some solid innings and probably start in the postseason or be one hell of a bridge to abreu, pressly, hader.

I just hope come October it's not a bridge to nowhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Gave myself nearly 24 hours before commenting on the trade and while it was an overpay, it is not nearly as bad as I originally thought. Maybe this is me trying to huff some copium but it does give some perspective in my eyes. Reminder our farm system is ass

-Wagner is an org bat with no real position and zero power plus hes 26. Those dudes are a dime a dozen plus the only position he can actually play is second base, which is pretty occupied 

-Loperfido is 25, strikes out a ton and is probably a utility dude in the long term. Definitely will miss him but its not like we traded Jose Ramirez. I also dont think Brown makes this move if he thinks anyone but Tucker will be in right in the next few years...thats how you get the goodwill back Dana. Sign the mother fucker

-Bloss had a fantastic year in the minors but has never thrown over 76 innings in the minors and just dealt with shoulder issues (I am unaware of the rest of his medical history). He also has a major problem walking lefties. Could he be a #2, sure, could he be a righty only bullpen guy, sure. Its a high upside arm and IMO really the only major loss in this deal

-Kikuchi...Numbers dont look great, results dont look great. Stuff is excellent, dude averages 96 on his fastball from the left side, only Ragans Skubal and Crochet average higher from the left side. He Ks people, doesnt walk people. The issue is contact, I think a lot of that is fixable and a lot of that has to do with luck as well. Is he going to suddenly change what he is and become The Big Unit, no, but I think he will give some solid innings and probably start in the postseason or be one hell of a bridge to abreu, pressly, hader. Just help get us to the dance and lets party!

Again this is probably copium and who knows what this looks like in 5 years. Win another ring and who gives a fuck about the rest

Caleb Ferguson is ass

I like the Ferguson trade more than Kikuchi.

Kikuchi stats look like what a fully weaponized Whitley as a starter might look like.  Lots of strikeout because of stuff but lots of homers because he plays the game with fear and ignorance.  

• Drool 1

Yandy Diaz doesn't really do it for me, but if anyone in power with the Astros thinks that Singleton/Dubon/Chas/Meyers/A Diaz circlejerk is gonna compete for a WS they are fucking dumb as hell 

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 2