Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Surly thread if we make no trades

Angry Looney Tunes GIF

surly thread if we make trades in a bad market :

Angry Looney Tunes GIF

bloss - might be a loss, but we need pitching this week. The current staff is barely keeping it together. He’s a good young arm, not mlb ready but we had to push him

JLope - high energy good kid. His last month was bad. Looks like the org has melton in front of him. Jlope / Chas / cabbage / maybe Leon was a log jam. All seem like #4 of’s 

wagner - 26 yo aaa player. He had no spot here. I hope he does great over there. We did him a favor 

The Astros have a plan and suggestions for coochie, maybe they work and we get two solid two months out of him. I’m guessing they have a plan for the other slap dick

I give the moves a C-. There wasn’t much out there and we gave up 4 players for 2 desperately needed arms . If they step up, it was worth it for now 

after the coochoe trade, I figured we didn’t have anything left for a bat.

who was the best bat traded ?

the Verlander injury really really screwed us. Tucker want even taken live o yet, he’s a month+ away from being ready 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I promise not to play this game, but Loperfido’s first two ABs in a Blue Jays uniforms:

2 Ks on 7 pitches.

He will settle in just fine once he hits some of that fine Toronto Poutine.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I promise not to play this game, but Loperfido’s first two ABs in a Blue Jays uniforms:

2 Ks on 7 pitches.

Per more than one 790 caller, he's the next Altuve. I wish him all the best like I do any former Astro. Hope he tears it up in Toronto, parties with Drake !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

2 Ks on 7 pitches.

We’re going to rue the day Dana let him go. 

And he very well might be the cause of that cocksucker’s inevitable dismissal 

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Interesting chart 

IMG_1435.jpeg

Interesting in that it makes my brain hurt and is a terrible graphic.

Wtf is that saying?

I figured out “Number of Players” is missing at the top.

i don’t understand the color coding 

green is normally associated with “good”. So doing absolutely nothing means you’re a winner?

Edited by UTexasFight
(And yes, I realize that last statement would have been true for us in hindsight)

Prospects traded and Recieved 

Just now, Scraps said:

hey look Caratini and Diaz in lineup at same time.  Do this.  Every single day.  

I’ve never see. You and espada in the same room 🤔🤔🤔😻

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

God I wish we were the Baltimore Orioles right now. 

We could have used that dead 93 million to convince Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal to come back to Houston. 

Um, we can still do that regardless of the dead money. It's not like they count against the luxury tax.

4 minutes ago, YChang said:

Wouldn't hurt if the players already on the team actually... started playing consistently well. 

They have been… for all of June. And half of July. 
even counting the back half of July, we have the 2nd best record in baseball since Tucker went down on June 3.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stolen ….

6 days after winning a World Series, Jim Crane parted ways with GM James Click. Over the next 6 weeks, without a GM, the Astros would sign Montero, Jose Abreu, and Michael Brantley while Verlander and Yuli signed elsewhere. Brantley played 15 games, Montero and Abreu got paid to go away. 

All in all, the Astros owner spent $105,000,000 on players who would provide a combined -1.9 bWAR or -2.7fWAR.

an epic fail of a gm gap 

• Rage+1 2

28 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

They have been… for all of June. And half of July. 
even counting the back half of July, we have the 2nd best record in baseball since Tucker went down on June 3.

Damn, you're right. it's just like some aspects of the economy. The vibes sure aren't there. 

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s going to tear up the minors !!!!

What other option does he have other than to run off with cranes money and sit on a Dominican beach?

he doesn’t clear waivers, he goes to a new team. he clears waivers and says “no” to a minor league assignment he’s out of baseball until someone gets desperate and signs him.

am I missing something?

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Stolen ….

6 days after winning a World Series, Jim Crane parted ways with GM James Click. Over the next 6 weeks, without a GM, the Astros would sign Montero, Jose Abreu, and Michael Brantley while Verlander and Yuli signed elsewhere. Brantley played 15 games, Montero and Abreu got paid to go away. 

All in all, the Astros owner spent $105,000,000 on players who would provide a combined -1.9 bWAR or -2.7fWAR.

an epic fail of a gm gap 

Just a reminder I was apoplectic about two of those 3 signings when they happened. Loved the Abreu signing so I nailed that one. 
it wasn’t just us by the way. Like 80% of that free agent class ended up being a disaster. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2023 FA Class

Aaron Judge- awesome so far- way too many years on it.

Trae Turner-  $27M a year for a lot of years- 2.3 WAR in year 1, that won't age well

Carlos Correa- Signed a 1 year 30M deal or whatever after 2022 and was hot garbage in 23.  Bounced back this year but that doesn't count b/c he opted out after being shitty in 23

Xander Bogaerts-  25M per for like 10 or 12 years.  4.4 War last year- 0.8 War this year- would you want to be on the hook for the next 200+ M of that contract?

Dansby Sawanson- 40M so far- 5.8 War- this one might work out- was only a 7/175 as I recall

Brandon Nimmo- 8/162- 6.5 War so far- trending to 8 for first two years- they might get value out of this one- depending on if you believe it is $8M per War or 10M per war

Jose Abreu- Nope

Carlos Rodon- Ha.  Haha, Hahaha

Chris Bassitt- 3 for 63.  So far he's at 3.2 WAR- half way through- not a disaster

Degrom- 5/185.  I think he's pitched 17 innings so far in the first 2 years of the deal

Wilson Contreras- I like this deal. The Cardinals pitchers had a mutiny last year and refused to pitch to him.  Things seem to be on track this year? 5/87. I was pounding the table to sign him.  Figured LF//1B/DH and back up catcher with Yainer.  Probably make value

Clayton Kershaw- Nope- hurt- more playoff suck

Justin Turner- 1 year contract- he outperformed it

Nathan Evoldi- 2/34 with a 25 vesting option.  Fucking Rangers with the best signing of the offseason

JUstin Verlander- Nope

Michael Brantley- Nope

Max Scerzer- nope

Wade Miley- Nope

Kevin Kiermaier- good deal

Jsoh Bell- Cut

Brandon belt- really good 1 year signing

Greinke- Nope

Bellinger- good deal on 1 year

Nobody did as poorly as us. Not even close.  It wasn't quite as bad as I remembered- but there are only a couple deals that are going to pencil out and some of the ones that were 8, 10, 12 years that look fine now are going to suck on the backend and be pretty underwater overall.  

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2023 FA Class

Aaron Judge- awesome so far- way too many years on it.

Trae Turner-  $27M a year for a lot of years- 2.3 WAR in year 1, that won't age well

Carlos Correa- Signed a 1 year 30M deal or whatever after 2022 and was hot garbage in 23.  Bounced back this year but that doesn't count b/c he opted out after being shitty in 23

Xander Bogaerts-  25M per for like 10 or 12 years.  4.4 War last year- 0.8 War this year- would you want to be on the hook for the next 200+ M of that contract?

Dansby Sawanson- 40M so far- 5.8 War- this one might work out- was only a 7/175 as I recall

Brandon Nimmo- 8/162- 6.5 War so far- trending to 8 for first two years- they might get value out of this one- depending on if you believe it is $8M per War or 10M per war

Jose Abreu- Nope

Carlos Rodon- Ha.  Haha, Hahaha

Chris Bassitt- 3 for 63.  So far he's at 3.2 WAR- half way through- not a disaster

Degrom- 5/185.  I think he's pitched 17 innings so far in the first 2 years of the deal

Wilson Contreras- I like this deal. The Cardinals pitchers had a mutiny last year and refused to pitch to him.  Things seem to be on track this year? 5/87. I was pounding the table to sign him.  Figured LF//1B/DH and back up catcher with Yainer.  Probably make value

Clayton Kershaw- Nope- hurt- more playoff suck

Justin Turner- 1 year contract- he outperformed it

Nathan Evoldi- 2/34 with a 25 vesting option.  Fucking Rangers with the best signing of the offseason

JUstin Verlander- Nope

Michael Brantley- Nope

Max Scerzer- nope

Wade Miley- Nope

Kevin Kiermaier- good deal

Jsoh Bell- Cut

Brandon belt- really good 1 year signing

Greinke- Nope

Bellinger- good deal on 1 year

Nobody did as poorly as us. Not even close.  It wasn't quite as bad as I remembered- but there are only a couple deals that are going to pencil out and some of the ones that were 8, 10, 12 years that look fine now are going to suck on the backend and be pretty underwater overall.  

We should have resigned Correa both times.  He's Crane's white whale - a good player under 30 that you can sign for less than 7 years.

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

We should have resigned Correa both times.  He's Crane's white whale - a good player under 30 that you can sign for less than 7 years.

I love Correa. We probably handled that one right with Pena. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I love Correa. We probably handled that one right with Pena. 

image.png.5a900aa2efa8cca9d6ba4920f3fa0213.png

Pena is much more consistent!

I'm sure we'll keep only spending on up and down RPs and mid/late 30s injured guys because they will take 3-5 year contracts.   What could go wrong?

Edited by WBT
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

30 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why didn't we make a run at signing Belt? Or did we? 

• Hook 'Em 1