Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Oh hai.

Only got the last two series results correct. But got the overall record of 14-11.

6-6 since the all star break is a bit disappointing. Really need Tucker back. August could be rough, by not adding a bat and the schedule we’re facing. 22 of the 28 against teams over .500 (although the post-deadline Rays, who we play 6 times, are not a .500 (55-53) team).

Gonna sound like a broken record but:

I’ll take some more “almost treading water”—and hope and pray we get Tucker and some SP back by Labor Day. And hope we blow the doors off in September.

hot start, finish the month with a whimper 

15-13

TB 2-1

TEX 2-1

@BOS 2-1

@TB 1-2

CWS 3-0

BOS 1-2

@BAL 1-3

@PHI 1-2

KC 2-1

I’d take 15-13 right now if offered, lock it in and look to finish strong in September if we can finally get healthy. Sweeping Texas would also be nice. If we can go 14-14 or better and sweep then that should just about eliminate them I’d guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Where’s their interpreters? Blanco knows Japanese? Kikuchi speaks Spanish? I still get a kick out of watching them all talk to each other on the field and then after the games they need interpreters. I get why. But still amusing.

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The team MVP has now been worth -0.5 WAR since May. Since that 17 game HOF streak he went on, he's hitting .199/.260/.338/.599 over 201 ABs. Without the 17 gamer, he's at .203/.264/.359/.622 over 251 ABs with 63 Ks. It's time he gets DFA'd.

For a frame of reference to just how bad team MVP has been, Maldonado as the worst regular in MLB hit .191/.258/.348/.606 last year, so yes, Meyers has been almost equal to Maldonado for much of the season.

Chandler Rome said on X last night that Jake Meyers was 10x the hitter that Jake Marisnick was when he was brought up as a comparison. If you compare their stats when Marisnick was here they are so close to almost be identical and Marisnick was nothing but an afterthought on a good team. Meyers benefits from us literally having no one else to play right now. We replaced Maldy behind the plate but now he plays centerfield.

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d take 15-13 right now if offered, lock it in and look to finish strong in September if we can finally get healthy. Sweeping Texas would also be nice. If we can go 14-14 or better and sweep then that should just about eliminate them I’d guess. 

18 - 10 if we’re serious contenders 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Chandler Rome said on X last night that Jake Meyers was 10x the hitter that Jake Marisnick was when he was brought up as a comparison. If you compare their stats when Marisnick was here they are so close to almost be identical and Marisnick was nothing but an afterthought on a good team. Meyers benefits from us literally having no one else to play right now. We replaced Maldy behind the plate but now he plays centerfield.

Lol - I'd rather have Marisnick if only for the flowing locks

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros need to go 34-20 to win 90 games.

From here on out the Astros can’t lose a series…. Which we then take into the playoffs and then…. Not lose a series.

Well, sounds like a solid WS plan to me.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros need to go 34-20 to win 90 games.

Given the injury setbacks to the pitching and no idea when/if Tucker will be back, we didn’t do enough at the deadline to be a 90 win team.

take my 15-13 prediction for July and better our June record (17-8) by half a game in September (18-8) gets you to 89-73. 

thats about the ceiling I can see for this team 

(twins won the AL central with 87 wins last year. Hard to draw comparisons prior to that with the schedule change effective last year reducing the number of intradivision games)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Dude loves Houston too, but so did Loperfido. 

Heyman wrote this about Pressly back in mid-May

It’s believed longtime Astros closer-turned-set-up-man Ryan Pressly might consider waiving his full no-trade for the right team/role. 

A) it’s heyman

B) that was May 2024. Who knows what Pressly will feel like in the offseason the next time a deal could be on the table 

C) off days suck 

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Given the injury setbacks to the pitching and no idea when/if Tucker will be back, we didn’t do enough at the deadline to be a 90 win team.

take my 15-13 prediction for July and better our June record (17-8) by half a game in September (18-8) gets you to 89-73. 

thats about the ceiling I can see for this team 

(twins won the AL central with 87 wins last year. Hard to draw comparisons prior to that with the schedule change effective last year reducing the number of intradivision games)

I had 91 as a stretch goal before the dodgers series. Didn’t have us going 1-2 to the pirates. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pressly has been really good in his last 17 appeareances. He seems to have figured some things out. The biggest problem is when he and/or Hader give up runs the Astros lose those games because the offense is unable to answer.

If Kikuchi is average and Ferguson can be some semblance of the pitcher he was previous to this season, the Astros pitching is fine, the offense is a fucking abomination due to inability to draw walks, horrible team speed, and lack of productive outs. This helps explains our 9-17 record in 1-run games. Last year, we were a little better at 20-21. We'd be 4+ games up with a similar or slightly better record in one run games as last year.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Pressly has been really good in his last 17 appeareances. He seems to have figured some things out. The biggest problem is when he and/or Hader give up runs the Astros lose those games because the offense is unable to answer.

this is the truth. I’d be interested to see how this year compares in the category of giving up a lead in the 7th-9th but still winning compared to the previous 7 years 

Edited by UTexasFight

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

this is the truth. I’d be interested to see how this year compares in the category of giving up a lead in the 7th-9th but still winning compared to the previous 7 years 

We talked on our podcast and crunched some numbers about a month ago and it’s uncanny- like every time they give up runs we lose- and that’s just not normal. You’d probably expect to win about 40 or 50% if the games your leverage guy gives up a run and we were running like 15% or something. 
lots of times a set up man comes in with a 2 run lead, gives up 1, no big deal. Or they tie it in the top and we go ahead in the bottom. Nope. 
part of it has been when they give up runs many times it’s multiple. If your guy is going to have a 4.5 era you want him to give up a run every other game and that’s a lot more likely to win than 8 perfect, 3 runs and 2 runs in 10 games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Find a way to scratch out more runs — especially late — and the pressure on everyone on the staff would ease a lot. We're scoring nearly a half run per game less than in 2023, which is a big dropoff. So it's been an especially bad year to lose most of our starting staff and have setup/closer issues. Our best hope is for a miraculous Tucker return (soon) and for the current 1-4 guys to get insanely hot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Find a way to scratch out more runs — especially late — and the pressure on everyone on the staff would ease a lot. We're scoring nearly a half run per game less than in 2023, which is a big dropoff. So it's been an especially bad year to lose most of our starting staff and have setup/closer issues. Our best hope is for a miraculous Tucker return (soon) and for the current 1-4 guys to get insanely hot. 

Draw more damn walks, but we also have too many hitters than only get hits by swinging at first pitch fastballs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Draw more damn walks, but we also have too many hitters than only get hits by swinging at first pitch fastballs.

Altuve drew 13 BBs in April, he has drawn 15 since. That is just fucking abysmal.

April - .345/.414/.597/1.010 - 7 HRs, 1st ballot HOF.

Rest - .292/.330/.397/.727 - 7 HRs, slightly better than Dubon.

If your leadoff hitter isn't walking at least 10 times a month, he needs to no longer be your leadoff hitter.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Everyone’s favorite center fielder made his MLB debut 3 years ago today.

it’s weird but I remember where I was.

listening to the game somewhere outside of Lubbock on the last leg back home after spending a month in Montana. And I remember thinking “why is Dusty letting this guy make his MLB debut when we’re down 2 with 2 outs in the 9th” as he K’d on 3 pitches.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Altuve drew 13 BBs in April, he has drawn 15 since. That is just fucking abysmal.

April - .345/.414/.597/1.010 - 7 HRs, 1st ballot HOF.

Rest - .292/.330/.397/.727 - 7 HRs, slightly better than Dubon.

If your leadoff hitter isn't walking at least 10 times a month, he needs to no longer be your leadoff hitter.

Altuve has openly said he doesn’t like leading off. His organization has done jack shit to find another lead off hitter after Springer left. Flipping Bregman and Altuve in the lineup feels like the quickest/easiest fix. 

8 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Everyone’s favorite center fielder made his MLB debut 3 years ago today.

it’s weird but I remember where I was.

listening to the game somewhere outside of Lubbock on the last leg back home after spending a month in Montana. And I remember thinking “why is Dusty letting this guy make his MLB debut when we’re down 2 with 2 outs in the 9th” as he K’d on 3 pitches.

Dusty wanted Jake (and Chas) to fail. He loved Miles straw. Click had to pull off an astros money ball deal and trade him because the damn 🦖 wouldn’t listen to reason. 
so, Jake’s first 3 AB’s were against closers with two outs in the 9th. What a petty dipshit Dusty was. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1