Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Loperfido just hit a triple while Meyers was striking out. But I’m completely over it LOL

We could have been sellers and ended up better off than we are right now. We are going to get swept by this minor league team aren't we? Nono, I will stay positive. Running on no sleep right now. Let's go stros.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

So the is is kind of the kikuchi experience right?  Good stuff. Lots of swing and miss. Lots of K’s. And oh look- a 4.5 era because he leaves meatballs right over the middle. 

eat innings 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So the is is kind of the kikuchi experience right?  Good stuff. Lots of swing and miss. Lots of K’s. And oh look- a 4.5 era because he leaves meatballs right over the middle. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He doesn’t really even do that. He throws 100 pitches every time out. Sometimes that’s 7 and sometimes that’s 4. 

Ok , you can let go of the bone for a minute and admit 8 Ks in a row is pretty impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Kikuchi's off speead stuff is really fucking good. He grooved two FBs to the 1st two hitters and has gone almost exclusively off speed since. Early signs pointing towards a nice acquisition, the real problem was doing nothing at to keep Singleton, Dubon, McCormick, and Meyers on the bench if not DFA'd.

• Hook 'Em 3

man, just looked back at Kikuchis pitch selection/location.

What the hell were the Rays swinging at.

man they had some ugly ABs.

Hopefully his stuff gets just as much swing and miss against a team that doesn’t have the 7th most K’s in the majors ( and luckily 2 of the 3– Seattle and Oakland are in our division)

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Ok , you can let go of the bone for a minute and admit 8 Ks in a row is pretty impressive. 

It’s great. Set a franchise record. He’s also a 33 year old with a career era of 4.72, a season era of 4.75, an era plus that’s 12% worse then league average for his career, a career FIP of 4.64. I mean, we can go on and on and maybe the Astros at 33 years old can unlock something different in him that’s never been there over the entirety of his career with multiple different organizations, and I am certainly rooting for that to happen and him pitch us to a World Series title, but there is nothing about his performance, this year or in his career, that indicates he’s an above average pitcher or worth anything close to what we sent out to get him. 
nothing would make me happier than the astros being right and changing the trajectory of his career. 
I hated them letting Correa go. I said- he’s a proven post season performer. Peña is likely to be mid with the bat. Those guys typically get chewed up in the playoffs. Then, he has a mid rookie season with the bat. And second season. And third season so far.
he’s a career 99 ops+ guy (definition of mid with the bat- though when you play a premier defensive position like SS or catcher or Cf and are mid with the bat and really good with the glove that makes you a good overall player) and he sucked shit through a straw in the playoffs with the bat on the 2023 playoffs. But, in 2022 he caught lightning in a bottle, won the ALCS and WS mvp (and got big hits in the divisional series) and there’s a good chance that if we’d have signed Correa and his career 124 ops+ as opposed to Pena’s 99 ops+ we’d have won one World Series instead of 2.  Baseball is a weird game. Literally anything can happen over a small sample size. I hope kikuchi shoves and we end up having a parade. 

46 minutes ago, runthebone said:

72 pitches, so he will need some immaculate innings to get to 21.

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s great. Set a franchise record. He’s also a 33 year old with a career era of 4.72, a season era of 4.75, an era plus that’s 12% worse then league average for his career, a career FIP of 4.64. I mean, we can go on and on and maybe the Astros at 33 years old can unlock something different in him that’s never been there over the entirety of his career with multiple different organizations, and I am certainly rooting for that to happen and him pitch us to a World Series title, but there is nothing about his performance, this year or in his career, that indicates he’s an above average pitcher or worth anything close to what we sent out to get him. 
nothing would make me happier than the astros being right and changing the trajectory of his career. 
I hated them letting Correa go. I said- he’s a proven post season performer. Peña is likely to be mid with the bat. Those guys typically get chewed up in the playoffs. Then, he has a mid rookie season with the bat. And second season. And third season so far.
he’s a career 99 ops+ guy (definition of mid with the bat- though when you play a premier defensive position like SS or catcher or Cf and are mid with the bat and really good with the glove that makes you a good overall player) and he sucked shit through a straw in the playoffs with the bat on the 2023 playoffs. But, in 2022 he caught lightning in a bottle, won the ALCS and WS mvp (and got big hits in the divisional series) and there’s a good chance that if we’d have signed Correa and his career 124 ops+ as opposed to Pena’s 99 ops+ we’d have won one World Series instead of 2.  Baseball is a weird game. Literally anything can happen over a small sample size. I hope kikuchi shoves and we end up having a parade. 

52 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

As to what your responded to I said he’s not some sort of work horse. For his career he’s averaged less than 5 innings per start (or dead bang on it- it’s less than 5 and 1/3 if you take his total innings divided by starts but he’s got like 20 appearances where he racked up innings that weren’t starts) this year he’s averaging less than 5 and 1/3 per start, right on his career average. Is there anything at all in anything I’ve said that isn’t 100% factually accurate?  I didn’t have any opinion or supposition in my posts, literally flat out stated facts. 
I also posted that after 4 innings and acknowledged the swing and miss was cool. He hadn’t struck out 8 in a row yet, I think it was at 4 or 5. 
so, by all means please tell me in any way shape or form how what I said is inaccurate in any way. 

in summary:

I want us to win,  I hope he’s awesome.  For his career he’s been below average in era and FIP, for this year he’s been below average in era and above average in FIP, he’s not an innings eater but he does answer the bell every 5th day which we clearly need.  we gave up a bunch of potential value for him, it was graded as the worst overpay of the deadline, it’s not something smart organizations do, it could work out and I hope it does. 
I will never say anything about Kikichi again. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1