Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Also for the 3rd start in a row....

quit catching Diaz with JV....is that the biggest problem probably not, but it ain't helping 

the one start he had since he has been back where he didn't completely suck was Caratini  

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Also for the 3rd start in a row....

quit catching Diaz with JV....is that the biggest problem probably not, but it ain't helping 

the one start he had since he has been back where he didn't completely suck was Caratini  

I think the biggest problem is Verlander is old and sucks now.

18 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

If by “tipping”, you mean throwing meatballs belt night, down the middle of the plate, then sure.

IMG_2700.png

IMG_2701.png

IMG_2702.png

IMG_2703.png

IMG_2704.png

IMG_2705.png

Verlander’s 4 seamers is straight and an arrow.

If he’s throwing mid 90’s and not able to locate it up in the zone or locate it on the corners, he gets shallacked. …. I mean kind of a no fucking duh, but he doesn’t have any movement to bail out a bad offering. He’s also not blowing guys away anymore like a 25 year old. 
If he wants to stick around a couple more years he’s going to have to ‘pitch’ a lot more and ‘throw’ a lot less.

His breaking stuff has never been super nasty either, so leaning on that isn't going to help a whole lot.  He absolutely has to stop trying to overpower people with fastballs though.  Even if his control is good, 93-94 mph fastballs up and above the zone are still gonna get hammered with regularity.

Edited by kevwun

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

His breaking stuff has never been super nasty either, so leaning on that isn't going to help a whole lot.  He absolutely has to stop trying to overpower people with fastballs though.  Even if his control is good, 93-94 mph fastballs up and above the zone are still gonna get hammered with regularity.

spacer.png

He needs to talk with Eddie Harris.

Just remember that with umps nowadays he can just put a little jalapeño up his nose to get it running and load up the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, kevwun said:

His breaking stuff has never been super nasty either, so leaning on that isn't going to help a whole lot.

I’ve got a meeting so can’t check on this, but I was under the impression he had a ++slider, a +curve and a neutral change.  

On 9/9/2024 at 1:51 PM, Dnaguy said:

spacer.png

He needs to talk with Eddie Harris.

Just remember that with umps nowadays he can just put a little jalapeño up his nose to get it running and load up the ball.

JV's 94 heat 6 inches above the zone still could work. But only if Yainer is batting, not catching. 

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I believe John Rocker just rolled over in his grave knowing he shares a last name with a guy named Kumar

I do like to chuckle imagining all the side eye John gets at the Klan meetings when Kumar is mentioned.