Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Verlander really trying to get to 300?

Just now, UTHornFan014 said:

Can we stop trying to get JV qualified for a win? Winning the game is more important 

If spotting him that kind of lead at home against a cellar dweller isn't enough to get a W, I'm not sure what will be again. He's hanging on by a thin, thin thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it really even possible for not only the Astros, but any of the 30 MLB teams to tell a pitcher of Verlander’s stature and record to say “Sorry Mr. Hall of Fame, we just can't afford to have you on our playoff rotation”.

Could that ever happen? Because honestly I don't know. 

I hope, mercifully, that Verlander has an “injury” and though he was really looking forward to pitching in the postseason, there’s just too much discomfort to risk further injury. 

10 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

We need to start hitting some HR and XBH again. No dingers in the past 5 games and only something like 15 in our last 20.

Singles, easy flyouts, and strikeouts are getting kinda boring.

IMG_2934.gif.d2f67d68b84a7f2757b25e5c31173396.gif

(for the HR part.. we have 2 of those…

but still 9 (!) singles in 4.1)

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if jv pitches against cleaveland, that makes him unavailable for the 3 game series 

This is the way… but it doesn’t quite work. He’d pitch game 1 of the Cleveland series and be on normal rest for game 2 of WC.

But anyone considering him a realistic option as one of our top 3 starters for the WC round needs their head examined… although we’ve been saying that about Espada for ~5 months now.

Instead what will happen is we have brown, Framber, kichuci for the Seattle series and give them all extra rest ahead of the WC round. They’ll flip the order and have Framber for game 1. Not sure if they’ll go brown, kikuchi or vice versa. 

i said it after his shitty start in Cincy: if you’re going to use JV at all, you do it game 1 of the LDS so you have 4 games to recover if it goes poorly. I haven’t mapped it out but we have an extra day off in the LDS as well again this year (between games 1 and 2) in additional to after games 2 and 4.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This is the way… but it doesn’t quite work. He’d pitch game 1 of the Cleveland series and be on normal rest for game 2 of WC.

But anyone considering him a realistic option as one of our top 3 starters for the WC round needs their head examined… although we’ve been saying that about Espada for ~5 months now.

Instead what will happen is we have brown, Framber, kichuci for the Seattle series and give them all extra rest ahead of the WC round. They’ll flip the order and have Framber for game 1. Not sure if they’ll go brown, kikuchi or vice versa. 

i said it after his shitty start in Cincy: if you’re going to use JV at all, you do it game 1 of the LDS so you have 4 games to recover if it goes poorly. I haven’t mapped it out but we have an extra day off in the LDS as well again this year (between games 1 and 2) in additional to after games 2 and 4.

After that debacle against Arizona where JV made Espada walk back to the dugout with his tail between his legs, only to turn around and further implode, I hope Espada learned his fucking lesson and doesn’t kowtow to JV ever again. Dude is washed. 

love you JV for all the awesome memories… but it’s time to go spend more time with Kate, I hope you like her personality 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

After that debacle against Arizona where JV made Espada walk back to the dugout with his tail between his legs, only to turn around and further implode, I hope Espada learned his fucking lesson and doesn’t kowtow to JV ever again. Dude is washed. 

That was in Cincinnati. Labor Day. When we actually had a chance to win. (It was 2-2 and he left him with 2 outs in the 4th at over 90 pitches and then a bloop single scored two. Reliever comes in and allows that guy to score. 5-2.

we lose 5-3.

arizona was the Sunday night disaster where he started to melt down in the 3rd and that early in the game you might as well leave him in to see if he can get out of it and save the pen (he couldn’t).

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_1897.jpeg

When has the back of the baseball card ever failed us!

love the guy but I feel pretty comfortable this is not a Nolan Ryan situation where you risk letting the guy walk and he still has 5 (or even 2) good years left  (JV is the same age now as Nolan was when McCullen let him walk…literally 3 weeks younger).

His stuff may actually be comparable to Ryan’s at the end of his career. Unfortunately, the offense in the majors in the late 2020s is not the same as the early 90s.