2024 Paris Summer Olympics - Death Squad

Esque

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Durant is pretty much the last guy I would associate with "alpha" on that team lol

I take it you didn’t watch the 2021 Olympics? Team had Tatum, Booker, Lillard, Draymond, and they spent the medal rounds looking to KD to win the game. 

Edited by statsman

36 minutes ago, statsman said:

I take it you didn’t watch the 2021 Olympics? Team had Tatum, Booker, Lillard, Draymond, and they spent the medal rounds looking to KD to win the game. 

Yeah all those guys are younger or not as good as KD.     Its a totally different group this time with guys that are better and ranked higher than him.

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Durant is pretty much the last guy I would associate with "alpha" on that team lol

He pretty much won the last Olympics by himself.  Tatum, Dame, Booker, etc, all looked small.  Pretty disappointing.

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah all those guys are younger or not as good as KD.     Its a totally different group this time with guys that are better and ranked higher than him.

Dame and Dray were around 30 then.  Younger than KD, but not kids.

• Hook 'Em 2

2021 was headed to a 1988 or 2004 finish, but KD took over. It was incredible. 

KD is the best FIBA player ever. It’s as if they let him draw the three point line, and he said- “Let’s put it here, where I’m two steps from the rim but also where I can pull up for my mid-range shot”. 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He pretty much won the last Olympics by himself.  Tatum, Dame, Booker, etc, all looked small.  Pretty disappointing.

Dame and Dray were around 30 then.  Younger than KD, but not kids.

KD broke his back carrying that team. Remember how bad they were in the pre-Olympic warmups? 

I'd give honorable mention to the smothering, lockdown perimeter D from the likes of Jrue Holiday and Tatum.

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

he’s the no.1 guy i think of when i think of current nba players making big shots to win titles.

• Hook 'Em 2

Haha who's the dumbass that picked Kawhi anyway?
He was total garbage against Dallas in the playoffs. The only games LAC was competitive were the games he sat out

DNP in 15 of last 19 playoff games

He got his contract and he's straight.   I dont expect him to play more than 45 gms this yr.    This almost seemed like he made an appearance as a condition for a sponsor and then dipped out.   Its crazy as hell how much of a pass he seems to get from the media in general.   Its extremely clear that he only shows up consistently when its contract time

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Its crazy as hell how much of a pass he seems to get from the media in general.

I don't know if I'd call it a pass. Just an acceptance of who he is at this point. Because of the media, his legacy is going to be "load management guy", not 2x Finals MVP and the dude who brought a title to fucking Toronto.

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't know if I'd call it a pass. Just an acceptance of who he is at this point. Because of the media, his legacy is going to be "load management guy", not 2x Finals MVP and the dude who brought a title to fucking Toronto.

Its not enough for teams to line up to give him unconditional max level contracts.  Others still talking about how he is one of the best players in the league.   He should be fucking toxic at this point.  He cannot be depended on in any situation and only plays when he is angling for his next contract. That should be only thing talked about when he is mentioned.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I know KD has to fight through his calf injury now, but I just want to express appreciation for his love of this game. He is about to get his fourth gold medal because Olympics after Olympics, he wants to play. The dude lives to play basketball. Other stars want to take the summer off, recover from the playoffs, get their bodies right for the coming season and KD just wants to play in the best games he can scramble into. 

It’s too bad they didn’t let him go in 2008, after his rookie year. In three Olympics, and one World Cup, he is averaging 48.8% from 3PL. Check out the roster he led to the 2010 title, and how he dominated-

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/teams/united-states/2010.html

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Celtics fans can't be happy about having 3/5 of their starting lineup in the Olympics after a title run.  Gonna be a long slog for their team next year.  But I'm a huge D White fan, so I'll allow it.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Celtics fans can't be happy about having 3/5 of their starting lineup in the Olympics after a title run.  Gonna be a long slog for their team next year.  But I'm a huge D White fan, so I'll allow it.

In general I agree with you, but their playoff run wasn't exactly a gauntlet. 19 games with lots of rest in between. They played 20 the year before when they didn't even make the finals.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In general I agree with you, but their playoff run wasn't exactly a gauntlet. 19 games with lots of rest in between. They played 20 the year before when they didn't even make the finals.

It's more about getting little to no downtime, IMO.  I hope they have very tired legs next year.

i had espn on in the background and i just heard ramona shelburne say that this team may be more talented than the dream team. the money i would pay to watch the dream team mentally and physically abuse this team…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who the fuck is guarding ‘92 MJ on this team?  Also I’m assuming Embiid can’t hold up for 40 minutes, so what are they doing about peak Ewing and peak David Robinson at the rim?

Bird was having back issues then so wasn’t a top guy. Not that he couldn’t fill it up still but he’s not playing a ton in this hypothetical matchup 

I don’t know what it is about embiid…but I don’t think he’s a good fiba player. Am I overthinking this or does he look big, slow and injured out there? International fiba refs are going to laugh at his foul baiting tactics that works in America but won’t work in fiba.

Idk I’m probably wrong

Bird was having back issues then so wasn’t a top guy. Not that he couldn’t fill it up still but he’s not playing a ton in this hypothetical matchup 

Sure. But he had 19 vs Germany who was the probably the 2nd best team in the field.

Fun facts: Barkley was the leading scorer and Pippen led the team in assists.

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t know what it is about embiid…but I don’t think he’s a good fiba player. Am I overthinking this or does he look big, slow and injured out there? International fiba refs are going to laugh at his foul baiting tactics that works in America but won’t work in fiba.

Idk I’m probably wrong

He's a big bitch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

He's a big bitch.  

He was beyond bad. Getting exposed by Olynyk big time. I feel like I could be watching his knees explode at any time. AD and bam are more suited for international style. Too bad JJJ was so awful at world cup last year because he’d be more suitable than embiid

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Over Jaylen brown.  

Yeah... that's a head scratcher. Love me some Derrick White, but objectively Brown is a better player. 

Brown thinks he got snubbed because of Nike. He's currently playing without a shoe deal and called Nike out for their ethics when they dropped Kyrie. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/jaylen-brown-nike-tweet-explained-beef-usa-olympics-snub/d9579f85999119dc4b30492a#:~:text=When Brown was drafted by,for the past three seasons.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah... that's a head scratcher. Love me some Derrick White, but objectively Brown is a better player. 

Brown thinks he got snubbed because of Nike. He's currently playing without a shoe deal and called Nike out for their ethics when they dropped Kyrie. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/jaylen-brown-nike-tweet-explained-beef-usa-olympics-snub/d9579f85999119dc4b30492a#:~:text=When Brown was drafted by,for the past three seasons.

Political jmo

17 minutes ago, d2o said:

How can you not like Ant?  LOL

Yea but we got a KD and Lebron.  Lebron is better than Kobe. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Grant Hill tried to downplay it saying he wore Fila at one point and was still chosen.   Brands have always had sway in those choices though and I would not be surprised at all if they did with this one as well.  Brown is clearly worthy

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Political jmo

Yea but we got a KD and Lebron.  Lebron is better than Kobe. 

Peak LBJ is.  This aint peak LBJ and he plays a different position than Ant anyway.

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Idk I’m probably wrong

I think he's just mainly not a great fit for this team, although he's needed to match up with the big centers they might see, especially Jokic 

33 minutes ago, d2o said:

Grant Hill tried to downplay it saying he wore Fila at one point and was still chosen.   Brands have always had sway in those choices though and I would not be surprised at all if they did with this one as well.  Brown is clearly worthy

White is just a better fit with this team

Making this US team is tough. The team of players who didn't make it could win it all in their own right