2024 Paris Summer Olympics - Death Squad

Esque

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

White is just a better fit with this team

Making this US team is tough. The team of players who didn't make it could win it all in their own right 

I dont know about that unless we are saying Kawhi was a bad fit.   Brown is much more similar player to Kawhi than White is.

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t know what it is about embiid…but I don’t think he’s a good fiba player. Am I overthinking this or does he look big, slow and injured out there? International fiba refs are going to laugh at his foul baiting tactics that works in America but won’t work in fiba.

Idk I’m probably wrong

Dude doesn't know how to play tough.  He's Charmin soft even though he's a 7 foot monster. I laughed when he had 4 fouls halfway through the 3rd.

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont know about that unless we are saying Kawhi was a bad fit.   Brown is much more similar player to Kawhi than White is.

Kawhi can be a top five player in the world when healthy. He's in his own bucket

White is a better connector, a better off the ball catch-and-shooter, and better at defending quick guards. Brown is a better one-on-one scorer and better wing defender. Looking at the roster, they already have all the one-on-one scoring they need and they have plenty of wing defenders. 

I think he's just mainly not a great fit for this team, although he's needed to match up with the big centers they might see, especially Jokic 

Jokers could be double fisting drinks, shirtless listening to whoever the Eastern European version of Hall and Oates and still run circles around last nights version of Embiid
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Jokers could be double fisting drinks, shirtless listening to whoever the Eastern European version of Hall and Oates and still run circles around last nights version of Embiid

Jokic doesn't put Embiid into the basket like he does with Davis and Bam 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Fud said:

Jokic doesn't put Embiid into the basket like he does with Davis and Bam 

Embiid hasn't played Jokic outside of Philly since 2019.  We have no idea how he'll play him in the Olympics. I wouldn't count on him, though.  Look at that cheap shot elbow from last night.  He's soft and he's dirty. He'll foul out early (again).

I think Bam is probably their best defender against Jok.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Embiid hasn't played Jokic outside of Philly since 2019.  

So what? He's physically the best matchup the US can throw at Jokic. Davis, Bam, Chet, Draymond, etc are all too short or too light in the ass or both 

17 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Team USA "survived" their friendly against Australia. Because that's what we call it now when you're blowing someone out, empty your bench, and they make a run to end the game.

The Boomers aren’t a bad team. They are in a state of building this thing around Giddey. The thing they lack is competent big men. They have good guards and wings, but trotting Jock Landale out there is humorous.

Team USA "survived" their friendly against Australia. Because that's what we call it now when you're blowing someone out, empty your bench, and they make a run to end the game.

Australia has probably had this team for a few years now and it’s filled with nba players so obviously they don’t suck at the game of basketball. This US team has been practicing for like 8 total days? At least embiid bounced back after that Canadian disaster but AD is still the better FIBA player by far

Other than Embiid not looking good (or even healthy), this Team USA roster seems much better constructed than previous iterations. Lots of outside shooting from guys who can still create when needed, bigs like Brow and Bam eager to do the dirty work inside, and defense for days.

Once the real games start, I expect the D to get even better--Ant, Tatum, Jrue, et al. are going to lockdown the perimeter. If Team USA can limit turnovers, I don't see anyone coming close.

And Durant--possibly the greatest international player ever--hasn't even seen the floor yet. It should be fun to watch.

(What a refreshing change from three years ago, when most of the big names were too cool to represent their country.)

You know I hear Bill Simmons say Tatum is a better player than KD and should start over him on this team and then I watch games like this and wonder who he thinks Jayson Tatum is.

• Hook 'Em 1

It seems that everyone but Kerr thinks that Embiid coming off the bench would be for the best since he's clearly not fitting in well, but I'm guessing that the program feels obligated to start him after talking him into picking USA over Cameroon and France

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

It seems that everyone but Kerr thinks that Embiid coming off the bench would be for the best since he's clearly not fitting in well, but I'm guessing that the program feels obligated to start him after talking him into picking USA over Cameroon and France

Kerr is too interested in not hurting anyone’s feelings. That’s why his rotations have been mostly just subbing all 5 guys out at once. Everyone has to get their minutes, regardless of the flow of the game.

45 minutes ago, Fud said:

wish he would have picked france just to see them start wemby, embiid, and gobert all together.

Posted (edited)

I think Bird, Barkley or Jordan (one of them) said it right when they said the players these days are too soft and don’t care about winning enough over looking out for themselves and aren’t competitive enough these days…. I mean Sudan.  Can pretty much guarantee this team doesn’t win gold. 

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Fuck Magic Johnson for how he treated Luol Deng over his last couple of years in LA. Dude has never been anything other than a consummate pro and stellar human being.

16 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Can pretty much guarantee this team doesn’t win gold. 

You're going to be disappointed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fud said:

He had a nice game today. Dude's a walking bucket when he's on. 

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Can pretty much guarantee this team doesn’t win gold. 

We looked way worse in the lead up to '21 and still took gold home. I don't think it's guaranteed, though. There's so much talent now across the board - it isn't hard to lose one game. 

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I think Bird, Barkley or Jordan (one of them) said it right when they said the players these days are too soft and don’t care about winning enough over looking out for themselves and aren’t competitive enough these days…. I mean Sudan.  Can pretty much guarantee this team doesn’t win gold. 

Its not even regular Sudan, it's fucking South Sudan. Bird, Barkley or Jordan (probably all 3 would say it to be honest) is/are exactly right

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Its not even regular Sudan, it's fucking South Sudan. Bird, Barkley or Jordan (probably all 3 would say it to be honest) is/are exactly right

lebron james’s goals: become a mogul, become a billionaire, become an icon 

michael jordan’s goals: 

even if your enemy is olden polynice and your team is up 25 pts in the 3Q on the second leg of a back to back.

these young kids love to talk shit about how much us “old heads” love to talk about the mentality difference, but it’s simple fact: michael, larry, hakeem, chuck, stockton, malone- they just wanted to punk your bitch ass and make you suffer, whoever you were. the league was not about your social media presence, your following, or your brand. it was about elite athletes with bad attitudes and worse intentions going toe to toe trying to crush each other in order to win titles. this generation would be in absolute shock were they to be thrust into a late 80’s/early 90’s eastern conference playoff series. total shock. they would need a safe space and several weeks of therapy just to cope.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 2

Embiid is an insane talent but has a well defined track record of being a huge bitch. 

Kerr is not dumb. I’m guessing when it’s nut check time his rotations will tighten and we’ll be putting our best lineups on the floor. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Fud said:

I remember reading about this more than a year ago. Deng is the man for doing almost all of this out of pocket for the land where he was born and Ivey is pretty awesome for coaching this for free. What an adventure that he’ll remember for the rest of his life. He will never have a job that he does that is more meaningful and memorable than being the head coach of the Bright Stars. 

3 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Second half starts with a fizzle .. 

Q:  Do USA players pay admission to stand around and watch?

I mean we have Franz Wagner and Daniel Theis hitting 3s on us. We can live with it.