2024 Paris Summer Olympics - Death Squad

Esque

After nearly losing to South Fucking Sudan, I expected this team to dropkick Germany to the moon.  The fact that they didn't plus the fact that Lebron again had to take over the game to prevent another loss is concerning.  Steve Kerr had better get shit figured out ASAP or this team is going to fuck around and gack the gold when the real games start.

Maybe.

However, I've watched every game so far and the impression I get is that of a cat playing with its food. There are many lapses in concentration and intensity that result in careless offensive turnovers, poor perimeter defense, and an excessive amount of second-chance points for the opponent.

These other squads might not be as deep or talented, but they're still pros and plenty good enough to punish any team caught sleepwalking.

Also, a friendly reminder: these were mere exhibitions. Much like how pros elevate their effort for the playoffs versus the regular season, I imagine they'll do likewise for group play and even more so during the knockout rounds.

On the flipside, Germany, South Sudan and Australia sure looked to be giving it maximum effort from start to finish.

We're getting Durant, too.

I'll believe a team of middling NBA players beating LeBron, Steph and Durant in a 40 minute game when I see it. Tatum and Booker can be as shitty as they want.

To some degree, the Dream Team is responsible for the sport's boom in popularity.

And even though it means the US can't win every FIBA or Olympic event, I'm thrilled that basketball has evolved into a truly international sport. The game is far better for it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Probably the last time USA will be the favorites for awhile

I think USA will still probably be the favorite *if* everyone plays (even with Lebron, KD, and Steph aging out), but France might be the next best team next cycle. Obviously they have Wembanyama and Gobert, but they also have a lot of young perimeter players who weren't quite yet rip for this run 

On 7/23/2024 at 3:03 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

To some degree, the Dream Team is responsible for the sport's boom in popularity.

And even though it means the US can't win every FIBA or Olympic event, I'm thrilled that basketball has evolved into a truly international sport. The game is far better for it.

Nike used to do a Europe summer tour. That was a big deal 

No fucking way Ant gets a point off of them. Have you seen those women play?

I’m saying he’d get a cheap point or 2 if they serve into the net. Unless they go into super conservative serve mode which is still impossible for the common man to hit..

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m saying he’d get a cheap point or 2 if they serve into the net. Unless they go into super conservative serve mode which is still impossible for the common man to hit. 

They would definitely go into super conservative serve mode. It's like the question of could I get a point off Serena in a match. I could if she gets a double fault, but she wouldn't double fault against me.