2024 Paris Summer Olympics - Death Squad

Esque

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

In all seriousness he should have played more, especially over Ant 

with you there. I think it's a little much for Ant mentally at this time... watch him prove me wrong the next game

Posted (edited)

It's been repeated ad nausem, but since 1992 or 1996 when USA had a chokehold on global basketball talent, the world writ large has made exponential gains and USA has made linear gains. The Law of large numbers works against USA here-- it's easier to double smaller numbers and harder when you are already great, but especially looking out to 2028, it's hard to see a future where Olympics basketball is a cakewalk to gold anymore.

Just look at the the 1st round of the drafts these days, liek 50% are foreign born.

I say all that to say, I'll cherish and be grateful for the Gold medal-- not taking it for granted.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MrX said:

Are the US going to be the favorites in 4 years?  I’d guess probably but it’s not sure thing…

Playing at home with what should be the deepest roster of NBA talent; they'll probably be slim favorites.

Are the US going to be the favorites in 4 years?  I’d guess probably but it’s not sure thing…

Joker will be like 34

Giannis 33?

Canada might be tough but Jamal Murray laid an absolute turd these Olympics

Wemby will be studied for science

Shroder and mills won’t be as good or even on the teams

So yea we should be heavy favorites
  • Haha 1

Curry sure shut me the fuck up. Thank you, Steph.

And though Joel played much better today, I still don't see how someone that big finishes a game with only four rebounds. Most of his performances this Olympics has been like that. Dude is afraid to ball for a board.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I see what he's getting at but none of these three have been at their zenith for years, though Curry certainly played like it on offense today

That was still insanely cool though. The three best players of their generation, and they all came through when it mattered, and we needed all of it to win.

Steph with a patented Curry flurry to keep it close early, and some sneaky good rebounding and defense late. LeBron with a triple double and getting downhill with his crazy soft touch at the rim. KD, despite early struggles and the superstars on the court with him, he's still the dude that gets the ball when you just need a bucket. Unstoppable.

Going to remember this one for a long time. Easily the best international game I've ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Gonna be an early one for derka and Chewbacca!

well, late for me. but i’ll be there, on my couch, face paint on, serbian flag wrapped around my back. 🇷🇸 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll bet 50 surly bucks that Simmons was 45 minutes into an emergency podcast to bitch about Kerr’s rotations before Team USA came back. 

They needed Embid’s scoring today, but he’s burnt toast on defense unless he’s standing directly under the basket defending a lay up. He can’t defend any switches or pick and rolls. Best of luck Morey. 

Embiid never looks healthy and/or is never in shape. This precise game is why he’s a benefit to the team because his sheer size can bother Jokic and slow him down with his back to the basket. Otherwise his ponderous PnR defense and his foul baiting bullshit gets exposed with the FIBA rules. 

7 hours ago, MrX said:

France is coming...... Wemby will probably be the best player or top 3 in the world.  They have 4-5 dudes under 25, their lottery pick isn't on this team and they have 3 more dudes expected to go top 20 next year.... The gold medal game could be the start of a sweet 8-9 year rivalry between France and the USA.  We should win in a couple of days, but by 28'..... shit, France is gonna be legit with health.

14 hours ago, aggie08 said:

That was still insanely cool though. The three best players of their generation, and they all came through when it mattered, and we needed all of it to win.

Steph with a patented Curry flurry to keep it close early, and some sneaky good rebounding and defense late. LeBron with a triple double and getting downhill with his crazy soft touch at the rim. KD, despite early struggles and the superstars on the court with him, he's still the dude that gets the ball when you just need a bucket. Unstoppable.

Going to remember this one for a long time. Easily the best international game I've ever seen.

yep.  it's cool enough that those three guys are all on the team, but to be the three guys most responsible for an epic comeback win that sent them to the gold medal game is something that is going to be remembered for a very long time.

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

KD has gone scorched earth on the American Joker Stans emoji24.pngemoji24.png

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

IMG_0654.thumb.png.bde1ae110488a8af25c307e894fdd5d8.png

Damn let me post it here too.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Derka said:

I know his playing time has been erratic, but he does not fit well with the best personnel groupings on this team. The old heads are carrying them across the finish line today. I hope Durant and Curry combine to put 60 on the board today and LeBron gets another triple double.

He was explaining some boring ass drill that I had done a thousand times before and I was watching the scrimmage at the other end of the gym instead of listening to him. One day I’ll get my revenge.

And for the record, I won camp co-mvp for my age group. Pretty sure that was the zenith of my basketball career other than the time I was shooting hoops by myself at Gregory when Travis Mays wandered over to join me. This was either right before or right after he got drafted. I caught fire from outside and he had to give me change for like 3 straight minutes. He didn’t seem happy about it. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He’s a fucking asshole. At least he was when he was coaching at Spurs kids summer basketball camp at Antonian High School in 1978. #neverforget

Damn. You're old. 

Tatum just doesn't really warrant minutes on this team. He isn't a better player than LeBron or KD. Still. 

Honestly, fuck him. He just had the biggest cake-walk title I've ever seen and shot like dick the entire playoffs. Boston sports are kind of an ass-whipping and the fact that they won that title is irritating.