2024 Paris Summer Olympics - Death Squad

Esque

So what does 2028 look like?  Assuming everyone is willing to play that makes realistic sense:

Starters:

Ant, Booker, Tatum, Paolo, Embiid

Bench:

Haliburton, Morant, Jaylen Brown, Bam, Anthony Davis, Chet, Jalen Williams

That doesn’t seem great.  Am I missing somebody?

Ideally sure, but that's probably not reality. The all-NBA types would rather have the summer off than play in the World Cup, especially if they're coming off of deep playoff runs 

Yea. That’s where it’d be nice to have some cohesiveness since the Serbs and French will probably have the same team. Germany will probably not be as good

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don’t even know if Embiid will be able to walk in 4 years. Probably brow starting. Chet should be a tad stronger; he’d be a good addition. Maybe Jaren Jackson Jr but he was pretty horrible in World Cup

Chet seems like he'd be a great international player, given his all-around skillset and size.

3 hours ago, MrX said:

So what does 2028 look like?  Assuming everyone is willing to play that makes realistic sense:

Starters:

Bench:

If Kerr is the coach Tatum may sit it out.  Cooper Flagg and Zion could play as well

7 hours ago, Fud said:

don't really agree. The US can field a team of about 8-10 players who can knock down open or mildly contested FIBA threes at a 50% clip plus a few more who can do it at a 40% clip

what you have just described does not come remotely close to replacing steph curry’s shooting. his shooting is absolutely irreplaceable. he is 1 of 1.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

If Kerr is the coach Tatum may sit it out.  Cooper Flagg and Zion could play as well

They're both talented, but Zion doesn't defend, doesn't shoot threes, and doesn't stay healthy, and Flagg will be 21 years old. I'd say Flagg might have the better shot of the two 

4 hours ago, MrX said:

Starters:

Bench:

Big Body Brunson and probably Flagg jump out at me. Brunson can close games. I’d 86 Embiid, and roll with Bam.

Mikal Bridges could be a name to watch. Probably not elite, but does everything well. 

Maybe LeBron being retired clears the way for Jaylen Brown to finally be on Team USA. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

Non Curry USA players shot 46.2% from three in the tournament. Curry shot 46.8%

The shorter FIBA line is easy money for a lot of NBA stars 

reducing steph curry to his shooting percentage is a non starter for an honest discussion.

5 hours ago, MrX said:

Starters:

Bench:

Embiid already hinted he may play for Cameroon, if he does play..... 4 years from now, injuries may have ended him.  Tatum is awfully iffy after this go around.  Can't blame him if he sits out, he has 2 gold medals already.  Ja is also a question mark with all of his hijinks.  AD will be 35 years old.  I think a lot of people have Cooper Flagg being someone of interest.  Some like Jalen Brunson but another small guard?

embiid and zion seem like unrealistic candidates for 2028. so does Ja. you also have to sort of wait and see if chet’s body is going to hold up. we might end up with walker kessler as one of our big men lol. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Uhm if you’re asking me US or the field for gold, field easily

Yeah, I think this is the better argument. The US will still be the favorite, but I'd probably take the field over them in a single elimination bracket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I think this is the better argument. The US will still be the favorite, but I'd probably take the field over them in a single elimination bracket.

Maybe someone steps up, naturally it will happen, but the olds saved our asses this year.

• Like 1

The field is France, and Canada…maybe serbia(jokic will be 34) and Slovenia(that couldn’t even make the Olympics)

France will be replacing Rudy, batum and Fournier with exactly what, dunno. Gotta see how these young guys not named wemby pan out

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Embiid already hinted he may play for Cameroon, if he does play..... 4 years from now, injuries may have ended him.  Tatum is awfully iffy after this go around.  Can't blame him if he sits out, he has 2 gold medals already.  Ja is also a question mark with all of his hijinks.  AD will be 35 years old.  I think a lot of people have Cooper Flagg being someone of interest.  Some like Jalen Brunson but another small guard?

Fairly certain that Embiid was trolling France 

I'll be shocked if Embiid is in good form in four years. He already runs like a 40 year old man 

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Ja will be there in 2028. A lot easier to stay stateside than travel internationally with gun convictions.

There are other small athletic guards who are better shooters and defenders, and who are less of a headache. Like Maxey. 

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The field is France, and Canada…maybe serbia(jokic will be 34) and Slovenia(that couldn’t even make the Olympics)

France will be replacing Rudy, batum and Fournier with exactly what, dunno. Gotta see how these young guys not named wemby pan out

France's big leap will be in 2032. If their young guys pan out, they might have a chance at surpassing the US for that cycle. . Wemba might be the best player in the world in 2028, but the rest of their roster will either be really young or really old.

Canada will probably be the competition in four years; they'll be able to fill a roster with 12 NBA players who play regularly while being led by Shai

I'm assuming Jokic won't be elite in four years, and Luka and Giannis won't have good teammates 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

France's big leap will be in 2032. If their young guys pan out, they might have a chance at surpassing the US for that cycle. . Wemba might be the best player in the world in 2028, but the rest of their roster will either be really young or really old.

Canada will probably be the competition in four years; they'll be able to fill a roster with 12 NBA players who play regularly while being led by Shai

I'm assuming Jokic won't be elite in four years, and Luka and Giannis won't have good teammates 

France will be pretty stout in 2028.  They just had 3 lottery picks in the 24' draft and none of them played and 2 other drafted guys.  They'll have 2, maybe 3 more lottery picks next year including what most consider the best PG prospect in Traore.  Wemby is probably the best player in the world in 28 so that's 5 other lottery picks to see if they can pan out.  Gobert is probably a the old guard backup on the team in 28'.  I think the US playing at home will propel our guys to the gold medal but Frank could be pretty scary in just 4 years.  

Yahoo Sports must read surly.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-will-the-team-usa-mens-basketball-roster-look-like-at-the-2028-la-olympics-155757827.html

I’m mostly fine with it. Suggs is questionable, but he shoots and defends well enough to contribute. 

Did Donovan Mitchell kill 5 hookers at SLC? I’m baffled why he isn’t being considered for Olympic teams. 

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

what the hell happened to spain? spain, in my opinion, has long been the no.2 country in the world when it comes to sports. tennis, golf, soccer, basketball, you name it- for the last 20+ years they’ve been awesome. and unlike most other nations they have a seriously high level and competitive basketball league. what happened to spain?

18 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

France will be pretty stout in 2028.  They just had 3 lottery picks in the 24' draft and none of them played and 2 other drafted guys.  They'll have 2, maybe 3 more lottery picks next year including what most consider the best PG prospect in Traore.  Wemby is probably the best player in the world in 28 so that's 5 other lottery picks to see if they can pan out.  Gobert is probably a the old guard backup on the team in 28'.  I think the US playing at home will propel our guys to the gold medal but Frank could be pretty scary in just 4 years.  

All of those young guys will still be young, and some won't pay out. Traore might not even pan out, or he might not be ready for the big stage yet. They'll be scary because of Wemba though, plus Risacher and Coulibaly should be solid NBA starters by that point 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yahoo Sports must read surly.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-will-the-team-usa-mens-basketball-roster-look-like-at-the-2028-la-olympics-155757827.html

I’m mostly fine with it. Suggs is questionable, but he shoots and defends well enough to contribute. 

Did Donovan Mitchell kill 5 hookers at SLC? I’m baffled why he isn’t being considered for Olympic teams. 

After Holiday ages out, Suggs will likely be the best ball pressuring guard option, and if he's shooting threes, then he should be an option. Some of these teams don't have high quality guard play, and you can completely disrupt their offense with ball pressure on their point guard

There are a dozen great guards the US team can choose from, but the better you are without the ball and the better you are defensively, the more you separate from the others 

I'll take a way too early stab. Starters in bold

G: Ant Edwards, Devin Booker, Tyrese Maxey, Desmond Bane, Jalen Suggs

W: Jason Tatum, Paolo Banchero, Brandon Miller, Kevin Durant

'C: Chet Holmgren, Bam Adebayo, Dereck Lively II