Dark Matter, Apple TV, Jennifer Connelly, Alice Braga, Multiverse Stuff, May 8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_(2024_TV_series)

Dark Matter is a sci-fi thriller series based on the blockbuster book by acclaimed, bestselling author Blake Crouch. The nine-episode series features an ensemble cast that includes Joel Edgerton, Jennifer Connelly, Alice Braga, Jimmi Simpson, Dayo Okeniyi and Oakes Fegley. Dark Matter makes its global debut on Apple TV+ on May 8, 2024, premiering with the first two episodes, followed by new episodes every Wednesday through June 26.

Hailed as one of the best sci-fi novels of the decade, Dark Matter is a story about the road not taken. The series will follow Jason Dessen (played by Joel Edgerton), a physicist, professor and family man who — one night while walking home on the streets of Chicago — is abducted into an alternate version of his life. Wonder quickly turns to nightmare when he tries to return to his reality amid the mind-bending landscape of lives he could have lived. In this labyrinth of realities, he embarks on a harrowing journey to get back to his true family and save them from the most terrifying, unbeatable foe imaginable: himself. Crouch serves as executive producer, showrunner, and writer alongside executive producers Matt Tolmach and David Manpearl for Matt Tolmach Productions, and Joel Edgerton. Dark Matter is produced for Apple TV+ by Sony Pictures Television.

William Blake Crouch (born October 15, 1978) is an American author known for books such as Dark Matter, Recursion, Upgrade, and his Wayward Pines Trilogy, which was adapted into a television series in 2015.

Posted (edited)

I think you and JS1 have mentioned it but really loving the growing collection of sci-fi and sci-fi adjacent content here. Also Jennifer Connelly... still amazing

Edited by YChang
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, YChang said:

I think you and JS1 have mentioned it but really loving the growing collection of sci-fi and sci-fi adjacent content here. Also Jennifer Connelly... still amazing

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I’m in because Apple is producing some well done, very expensive sci-fi. I’m glad they’ve taken the mantle on it 

Every now and then I check and see if SciFi Syfy is still aorund.  Resident Alien is a reminder I suppose.

They are taking the mantle of prestige TV away from HBO. And I read something where one of the Apple TV execs said they are still releasing a lot of shows weekly not because of hooking people into the subscriptions, but because they feel like binging has cheapened things and I tend to agree.  When something drops all at once, it’s hard to have conversations or read about it because some people binge it all within 24 hours, some people watch one or two episodes here and there, some people put it off because they know it’ll be there in a week or two, etc. The people who binge it have to wait for everybody else to catch up, and the bingers might have moved on by then, etc.

When something drops weekly, anticipation and buzz is easier to generate for the show, and everybody who is interested is on the same page for the most part and can carve out an hour a week to watch it.  Masters of the Air is the best recent example of this. Really built anticipation each week.  Three Body Problem is the opposite, and I did binge it over three days, but I have friends who are not finished, and meanwhile I’ve moved on to Fallout and other shows,  I can’t easily discuss Three Body Problem with friends because they are all over the place on what episodes they are at.

Three Body Problem should have been dropped weekly, and I’m glad that Dark Matter is.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...
17 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Watched episode 1 and thought it was good. Read the book a few years ago but I forgot most of the details.

I read the book too so I can’t wait to watch the show. Glad they actually filmed it here in Chicago too.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

Yeah, poor timing on my part to have the gummy kick in at the start of this week's episode. All the other Jasons caught me off guard, and it was difficult to keep up from scene to scene. 

Also, I don't think Jason2 thought his plan through very well. 

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Jennifer Connolly will be hot when she’s 70…

She’s gorgeous. But she looks like she’s either got an eating disorder or something else is wrong. Really thin like unhealthy thin. 

• Hook 'Em 2

She’s gorgeous. But she looks like she’s either got an eating disorder or something else is wrong. Really thin like unhealthy thin. 

Her face is still great but the way she looked in the long shots oh her running around would make me want to put her in the hospital for anorexia.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Her face is still great but the way she looked in the long shots oh her running around would make me want to put her in the hospital for anorexia.

in the 90s she looked curvy and spectacular.. ie: career opportunities, rocketeer, inventing the abbots, waking the dead

some where around Beautiful Mind, she started to look emaciated/angular to me.

(Vic Mackey alert)

I liked this episode. This show is good and makes your brain work a little bit.

Jason2 should’ve headed straight back to his box and peaced out to a new world after he murdered Jason? In the library bathroom. He’s made such a mess of things that it’s hard to imagine a happy ending for him here, plus he doesn’t even seem to like Daniela and Charlie that much. From his standpoint, cut your losses and try again.

Jason1 should consider the same. Go to the storage unit and get some ampules, then take his family to the box and try to find the world that Amanda stayed in. Once there, destroy the box in that world. It sucks starting over, but at least his family would be together and be in a world without all the other competing Jasons.

A thought

Spoiler

If Jason! was replicated each time he visited a different world, wouldn't the same have happened to Jason2? In other words, there would be the multiple Jason1s (both damaged or a little late) AND the various Jason2s who might've been late in finding the specific world he was looking for. I guess that's still possible with the show we were given, but it'd have been interesting to have that extra layer (not that there weren't plenty of vengeful or angry Jasons already).

Having said that, good show. It's a good reminder that every decision we make at each moment is within our control and can lead to a different reality. It makes me wonder why I waste so much time on this goddamned site. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

A thought

Hide contents

If Jason! was replicated each time he visited a different world, wouldn't the same have happened to Jason2? In other words, there would be the multiple Jason1s (both damaged or a little late) AND the various Jason2s who might've been late in finding the specific world he was looking for. I guess that's still possible with the show we were given, but it'd have been interesting to have that extra layer (not that there weren't plenty of vengeful or angry Jasons already).

Having said that, good show. It's a good reminder that every decision we make at each moment is within our control and can lead to a different reality. It makes me wonder why I waste so much time on this goddamned site. 

i would happily executive produce (provide the funds) a version of this show that chronicles the version of bolverk that decides to get with danger girl long-term and moves to new orleans forever.

episode 8: bolverk is dead and offered up as a ritual cannibalistic sacrifice to all the small titty emo girls of the bayou.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, bolverk said:

A thought

Reveal hidden contents

Or we are stuck riding the rails of determinism without any choice and our world is just the result of many possible outcomes that we experience.

This is why you waste so much time on this goddamned site, you never had a choice, it was already determined. In another world there is another Bolverk that has no choice but to live his life to the fullest.

Spoiler

I thought the detective would play a bigger role. The way she interacted with Jason 2 made it seem like she knew things.

Personally, I would have liked an epilogue covering the Jason Hunger Games aftermath. That would be a serious mindfuck for the police.

I also wouldn't mind knowing what happened to the army of hobo Jasons.