San Antonio Spurs 2024 Offseason Thread - Edging and Unleashing Wemby's Jumbo Package

I don’t love Barnes, but he can knock down an open three, play some defense, is durable, and has championship experience. This is exactly the type of solid vet they should be signing. That second year on his contract isn’t perfect either, but it’s not the end of the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don’t love Barnes, but he can knock down an open three, play some defense, is durable, and has championship experience. This is exactly the type of solid vet they should be signing. That second year on his contract isn’t perfect either, but it’s not the end of the world. 

I like Barnes, too. He's the exact type of player that I kept screaming that we needed last season. 

I would have liked Huerter but I like what we're doing so far this offseason. 

I've been a bit hasty at times the past couple years - and I think we haven't ran the simulation perfectly - but I really like the position we're in right now and seeing our recent moves I'm more assuaged about the future.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, thepop said:

Castle looks promising 

A lot of things to like.  They hit it at the end..... He's strong at attack.  Too many wings/guards have a real problem coming in the NBA who aren't strong at attack and they aren't good at the rim.  His handle is better than I thought.  He has good vision, you love to see that.  Fantastic feet.  Just a good player.  The one criticism does stick out in a real way.  He'll need to alter his shot.  It's way too long and comes from a spot too low.  He'll be getting up a lot of shots from his forehead.  Other thing is I'd like to see him with a better jumpshot -- true jumper from like 15-18.  That could make him incredible with his quickness.

Good prospect, if he really works at it, he could be a very good player in 3-4 years.

• Like 1

They didn’t show the probably eight wide open shots he created where his teammates threw up a brick. I get that there’s some positional debate about him but he’s point guard. 

The one thing that really stood out to me was his pace. He doesn’t get speeded up. I thought he was the best player in the draft and I didn’t see anything yesterday to convince me otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Castle has a good floor with his defense and athleticism.  I wonder on his ceiling, I think he can be a starting PG in the NBA and hopefully will really soak it up from Chris Paul this year.  His handle is good but he's tall + vertical in his lean and dribbles a bit high, better defenders will rip him.

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They didn’t show the probably eight wide open shots he created where his teammates threw up a brick. I get that there’s some positional debate about him but he’s point guard. 

The one thing that really stood out to me was his pace. He doesn’t get speeded up. I thought he was the best player in the draft and I didn’t see anything yesterday to convince me otherwise. 

TBH I read him as a good handling SG who could take PG minutes but not the primary ball handler role...but am willing to see where it goes.  If he wants to be a true PG and develops that way, awesome.  His skillset today to me seems 3 & D + explosive slasher with good vision more than PNR God + primary ball handler.  Then again Tony didn't really have the "assist PG" early either he was more of a penetrate to score and then dish to a wide open Duncan and "no-matter-what-don't-turn-over-the-damn-ball" after Pop bashed that into his skull.

21 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Barnes always seemed like a bitch but he's got a good skillset fit for the Spurs and Wemby.  He is big enough defend, he can hit the three (like 37.x% last year), he has ok vision and playoff experience.  What's his contract after the first year to S.A.?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Barnes always seemed like a bitch but he's got a good skillset fit for the Spurs and Wemby.  He is big enough defend, he can hit the three (like 37.x% last year), he has ok vision and playoff experience.  What's his contract after the first year to S.A.?

$20,850,000 for 25-26. 

Edited by Kermit

So to put a bow on this trade, they also had to waive Bassey. They can get him back if he clears waivers, which he probably will. It looks like Barnes waived his trade kicker, Chris Paul took a little less than was originally reported, and those two second round picks to the Bulls are from Sacramento (not the Spurs). Since they are now at the cap, Spurs have access to the $8 million room exception that they can use to either bring back any of the guys they waived or go after another free agent.

Just fantastic work from the front office. Tremendous off season so far. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Castle was impressive again. The shot is still a work in progress but it’s not horrible.  He missed some easy middies kinda badly but some improvement there will go miles. He’s going to be able to get to his spots regardless. Great handle, great pace, he’s crafty in the pick and roll, and he’s smart beyond his age. He’s also very strong and physical on both ends, surprisingly so for a 19 year old kid. He will never be accused of playing soft.

He’s going to make winning plays on both sides of the court. One sort of throwaway play stands out. It was the end of the quarter and Portland had the ball. He was standing in the corner guarding his man at the three point line. There was a driver who was also covered heading toward him as the clock was ticking down. Castle stuck to his man until the last beat when he knew he could jump over to double team and force a more difficult shot but it was safe to leave his man because if they passed to him he wouldn’t have time to get the shot off. The little things, he understands them innately. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Castle was impressive again. The shot is still a work in progress but it’s not horrible.  He missed some easy middies kinda badly but some improvement there will go miles. He’s going to be able to get to his spots regardless. Great handle, great pace, he’s crafty in the pick and roll, and he’s smart beyond his age. He’s also very strong and physical on both ends, surprisingly so for a 19 year old kid. He will never be accused of playing soft.

He’s going to make winning plays on both sides of the court. One sort of throwaway play stands out. It was the end of the quarter and Portland had the ball. He was standing in the corner guarding his man at the three point line. There was a driver who was also covered heading toward him as the clock was ticking down. Castle stuck to his man until the last beat when he knew he could jump over to double team and force a more difficult shot but it was safe to leave his man because if they passed to him he wouldn’t have time to get the shot off. The little things, he understands them innately. 

makes me miss Chip Engelland. 

Edited by D3zii

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The pace is what really stands out.  He doesn't get in a hurry.  Unlike other high physically upside picks like Lonnie or Wesley who had dribble drive to their game, Castle looks like he's just getting to his spots leisurely and not in a panic or hurry.  This is huge.  I really have some high hopes for him.  As you stated, with this shot in disrepair, it'll take some time, but he's a guy who really has a chance to settle in as a foundational guy if he puts the work in.  The talent and feel for the game are there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The pace is what really stands out.  He doesn't get in a hurry.  Unlike other high physically upside picks like Lonnie or Wesley who had dribble drive to their game, Castle looks like he's just getting to his spots leisurely and not in a panic or hurry.  This is huge.  I really have some high hopes for him.  As you stated, with this shot in disrepair, it'll take some time, but he's a guy who really has a chance to settle in as a foundational guy if he puts the work in.  The talent and feel for the game are there.

Here’s some video that really shows this. He’s got such good pace and is really crafty in the pick and roll. It’s going to be deadly when they run it with Vic and they have to be conscious of the lob threat. 

I’m not worried about his shot. It’s confidence and decisiveness more than form. It will get better as he gets more comfortable in the offense and knows when and where the shots will come from. He’s got to think too much now. Just needs reps. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Yes, they are currently at 15. Still have two open two-way deals. 

Ingram gets one of them otherwise what a waste of a fairly high second round pick. They could have used it on Bronny. Can’t you have three guys on two way contracts now? Or did make that up in my head?

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Ingram gets one of them otherwise what a waste of a fairly high second round pick. They could have used it on Bronny. Can’t you have three guys on two way contracts now? Or did make that up in my head?

Yeah Ingram will get one. You can have three, and I think Cissoko is currently on one of them.