San Antonio Spurs 2024 Offseason Thread - Edging and Unleashing Wemby's Jumbo Package

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Spurs going to Spur....those picks won't matter when Wemby bails cause they don't do enough to put talent around him to win.

The picks will matter because we can use them to make future trades, dillingham wasn't ever gonna do shit for us and he won't do shit in Minnesota

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The picks will matter because we can use them to make future trades, dillingham wasn't ever gonna do shit for us and he won't do shit in Minnesota

Fair

3 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

That’s cap space that can be used this summer too. 

Hopefully that's what we'll use it for not historically we haven't been aggressive in FA.  But maybe that changes with Wemby.  

Right. Brilliant move to build for the future in 2034. So exciting.

Did you re-up for season tickets tonight?

Right. Brilliant move to build for the future in 2034. So exciting.

Did you re-up for season tickets tonight?

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't like the trade at all. 2030 and 2031??? Wemby is the NOW. This is not the time to prepare for the NEXT next rebuild.

Those picks will almost certainly be traded for a player in the next few years. Draft capital, fellas. 

Excited about Castle.

• Like 1

Obviously, it’s not ideal. It’s also not debilitating. They’re setting themselves up for numerous scenarios, but in the now, players are needed. This team is in serious need of an enema. There’s no way to know for sure, but it seems they’ve taken the “let’s see what we’ve got “ approach for one more year, hoping to get in the top 10 of next years prestigious draft. It’s smart, but the fans are frothing at the mouth and are disgusted and impatient. And rightfully so. I’m open to the idea of trading for Darius Garland if he becomes available, but when is the last time a trade was made for talent that didn’t include shipping out one of the best players in franchise history? Stephen Jackson? 

• Like 1

I think they got the best player in this cruddy draft in Castle. 

I actually like the Dillingham trade. He’s an exciting player but he’s going to get targeted endlessly in a playoff series. There will be moments of buyer’s remorse watching him but if you look at the Sochan experiment and now Castle, you can see where this roster building is going - they want to put long switchable wings on the perimeter and let Wemby clean everything else up. Dillingham does not fit with that vision at all. And the other options at 8 really didn’t move the needle either. I know it’s not sexy for now, but they are going to choke people out, as long as they don’t choke themselves out from three first.

As far as the picks go, that’s an absolute haul for the 8th pick in this mediocre draft.  Ant will probably be playing for the lakers by then. Look at it like this - they turned a stiff in Poeltl into an unprotected first and a swap that’s only first pick protected.  It’s insane value. They can either repackage it in the near future or they will have killer draft capital when they are carrying a huge cap number down the road. This team isn’t owned by Steve Ballmer or the vc bros in San Francisco. This is a small market franchise. They are going to have to work the cba rules like a mother to remain competitive when Wemby is the highest paid player in the league. 

For the win now crowd, it also opens up more cap space and a roster spot for vets this year. This was good business all the way around. That was a great night for the Spurs. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

The trade was more than fine. Netting an unprotected future first is good business. 

I'd have concerns about Castle. If the shooting comes around, he could be the best player from this draft. If it doesn't, you have a non-shooting guard when you really want to surround Wemba with shooters so he has space to operate on offense 

Just now, chainsaw said:

I'm not upset about losing Dillingham (yet, and I reserve the right to be upset if he pans out) but is 2031 really the best we could have done? Wemby wants to win now and might be gone before then if he hasn't been winning long before that.

You're allowed to trade 2031 picks