San Antonio Spurs 2024 Offseason Thread - Edging and Unleashing Wemby's Jumbo Package

55 minutes ago, Hate said:

Someone please post all of Chris Paul’s “winning” that he can use to transfer knowledge to the young players on this team? Do you want them taught how to make it to the Conference Finals once in your career over the course of almost 20 years? 

Plus, his best skill--suffering a nagging soft tissue injury when your team needs you the most--can't be taught anyway. That's god given.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Hate said:

Someone please post all of Chris Paul’s “winning” that he can use to transfer knowledge to the young players on this team? Do you want them taught how to make it to the Conference Finals once in your career over the course of almost 20 years? 

What a stupid fucking take. We have a first ballot HOF head coach that has won five titles, so we're sure as fuck not bringing in Chris Paul because we lack someone capable of teaching teams how to win.

At this point I'm just happy at the thought of having someone that can model how to throw lob passes and run the god damn pick and roll at a reasonably high level. 

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

First off, fuck you for making me defend Chris Paul.

Second off, here's what the records were of every team Chris Paul joined the year before and after he got there.

2011 Clippers: 32-50
2012 Clippers: 40-26

2017 Rockets: 55-27
2018 Rockets: 65-17

2019 Thunder: 49-33 (They traded PG13 during this offseason)
2020 Thunder: 44-28

2020 Suns: 37-36
2021 Suns: 51-21

2023 Warriors: 44-38
2024 Warriors: 46-36

I think the Warriors stat is useless given context to everything else going on there, but the only time he didn't improve the team was when the Thunder decided to gut their entire roster, and they still were only 4 games worse. People were expecting them to completely bottom out, and they made the playoffs.  I hate that sumbitch, but he plays winning basketball.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Plus, his best skill--suffering a soft tissue injury when your team needs you the most--can't be taught anyway. That's god given.

And third off, well, duh. You already know this, but signing Chris Paul to a one year deal isn't about this team making a run this year. It's about instilling a winning culture and mentoring young players. His being healthy for a playoff run isn't going to be the difference in playing for a championship. Even if he plays 82 games and never gets hurt, this team's ceiling is probably the play-in. The west is still brutally deep. The only outright tanker is going to be Portland, potentially Utah, and maybe any other team that still owns its own FRP and gets its star injured and decides to throw in the towel on the season.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

First off, fuck you for making me defend Chris Paul.

Second off, here's what the records were of every team Chris Paul joined the year before and after he got there.

2011 Clippers: 32-50
2012 Clippers: 40-26

2017 Rockets: 55-27
2018 Rockets: 65-17

2019 Thunder: 49-33 (They traded PG13 during this offseason)
2020 Thunder: 44-28

2020 Suns: 37-36
2021 Suns: 51-21

2023 Warriors: 44-38
2024 Warriors: 46-36

I think the Warriors stat is useless given context to everything else going on there, but the only time he didn't improve the team was when the Thunder decided to gut their entire roster, and they still were only 4 games worse. People were expecting them to completely bottom out, and they made the playoffs.  I hate that sumbitch, but he plays winning basketball.

And third off, well, duh. You already know this, but signing Chris Paul to a one year deal isn't about this team making a run this year. It's about instilling a winning culture and mentoring young players. His being healthy for a playoff run isn't going to be the difference in playing for a championship. Even if he plays 82 games and never gets hurt, this team's ceiling is probably the play-in. The west is still brutally deep. The only outright tanker is going to be Portland, potentially Utah, and maybe any other team that still owns its own FRP and gets its star injured and decides to throw in the towel on the season.

That all felt gross, didn't it? Don't worry, I can relate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Conventional wisdom is that PGs (like RBs) hit the cliff pretty abruptly. He's obviously not starting material anymore, but this is the right move for him to make if he wants to transition to coaching and it's the right move for PAFTO to make if they want veteran leadership on the team. I am not sure if I buy the idea that he would be a good mentor to Castle and the other young guards, because he is kind of a bitchass. Hopefully he has changed, but for the price paid I don't hate the move and I definitely prefer it over Trae Young.

50 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Super hopeful that he doesn't kick any Minnesota players in the nuts this year.

He’s totally going to do something that infuriates me. The only saving grace I have is that he will undoubtedly make the team better and elevate Wemby. I can swallow my loathing, but this fucking sucks. Dude might be the only player in the league who can hit a game winner in San Antonio and hear complete silence.

Lavine and a top 3 protected first in 2027 for Keldon. Would the spurs say no?’

Lavine is technically the better player. The spurs would think they have a couple of chances to flip him for even more assets. If they could rehab his image they should be able to get 1 or 2 more firsts for him. Worst case in 2 years they drop him to someone as an expiring before paying Wemby the super fun max.

6 hours ago, Kermit said:

He’s totally going to do something that infuriates me. The only saving grace I have is that he will undoubtedly make the team better and elevate Wemby. I can swallow my loathing, but this fucking sucks. Dude might be the only player in the league who can hit a game winner in San Antonio and hear complete silence.

He can also buy a six pack for the guys. Wemby won't need his "McLovin" fake ID anymore.

McAmour?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RichUT said:

What a stupid fucking take. We have a first ballot HOF head coach that has won five titles, so we're sure as fuck not bringing in Chris Paul because we lack someone capable of teaching teams how to win.

At this point I'm just happy at the thought of having someone that can model how to throw lob passes and run the god damn pick and roll at a reasonably high level. 

You mean like a HOF coach with 5 rings and his assistants?

Let the warriors overpay for him. I like LM but it’s not worth what they have to give up. And the timing isn’t right. 

PSA if you need a wemby fix you can catch him live tomorrow:

The NBA App, NBA.com and @NBA YouTube will stream France’s five exhibition games ahead of the Olympics (local blackouts may apply). Game schedule and NBA players competing are below.
Schedule

DateOpponent

July 3vs. Turkey

July 8vs. Germany

July 12vs. Serbia

July 19vs. Canada

July 21vs. Australia

*All games will tip off at 3 p.m. ET