Port Aransas

Paco

Yup no real damage from the storm and it is already crowded as fuck. July will be even worse but thankfully I leave town for the summer July 1st.

Sip Yard finally opens tomorrow. Should be a great new addition bringing much needed additional food options (and yet another bar).

https://www.sipyardporta.com not much info there but I do know that there is space for 5 or more “restaurants” (food court style), 2 bars, and a stage for live music. It’s a 3 level place and the upper deck has a really good 360 view of the water/beach/town. As far as the food i believe 4 spaces are leased out already - pizza and wings, taco joint, Asian-fusion, and I think Coffee Waves is doing something. I’ve already had the pizza and wings and also a taco and both were really good.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Beach wasn’t as packed as I expected yesterday but I imagine some people canceled because of the storm.  The jellyfish were horrible, but mostly some small variety that just stung a little bit.  

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I'll be in from the 14th to 18th.

Look out bitches!

Damn going to miss you again. Was supposed to fly to CR today for the rest of the summer but this storm coming made me push it back to the 11th. Catch you and Luna this fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:03 PM, Hook1997 said:

Beach wasn’t as packed as I expected yesterday but I imagine some people canceled because of the storm.  The jellyfish were horrible, but mostly some small variety that just stung a little bit.  

wow, didnt experience any jellyfish at mile marker 7.

the fourth of July was very windy though.

Bad accident in Port A this morning. I’m currently about 35 miles offshore fishing in Costa Rica so don’t really have any other details. Boat is believed to be called Todo Bien, maybe a 54 Hatteras Sportfish.

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/one-dead-one-missing-ship-channel-closed/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3xP04X65Tirqf-dzc5KVmJ16oJqGxGryJbcYVNmUJxPvgr9a-jyScM0xI_aem_lD7jH6PeBL77EygwKUhCfw

Last weekend was one of the best beach trips I've had in a long time. Maybe it was the post hurricane, post holiday weekend but there weren't many people around. Beaches were as clean as I'd seen in years...no seaweed, no tar, no trash. What a great weekend. 

MI.thumb.jpg.22121e9e0c847fe35b21b4eafe0432a5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2024 at 10:32 AM, justhookit said:

Bad accident in Port A this morning. I’m currently about 35 miles offshore fishing in Costa Rica so don’t really have any other details. Boat is believed to be called Todo Bien, maybe a 54 Hatteras Sportfish.

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/one-dead-one-missing-ship-channel-closed/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3xP04X65Tirqf-dzc5KVmJ16oJqGxGryJbcYVNmUJxPvgr9a-jyScM0xI_aem_lD7jH6PeBL77EygwKUhCfw

The missing boater from a collision between a sportfishing boat and a tanker ship was found this morning, Monday, July 15.
The body of Jared Hunt of Calallen, whose identity was released by a family friend, was recovered at the mouth of the jetties, not far from where the boat he was on, the Todo Bien, collided with the tanker ship Eagle San Antonio early on the morning of Saturday, July 13, according to Petty Officer 3rd Class Perry Shirzad of Sector Houston U.S. Coast Guard.
Hunt was found by Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens from Nueces County.
One other man, Colin Ocker, the co-owner of the boat, was found dead near the wreckage of his boat shortly after the collision.
Two other men were injured. Ken Culbreth of Corpus Christi was hospitalized for a gash on his leg, and Vic Huff, also of Corpus Christi, was treated by Port Aransas EMS.
Further details will be in the July 18 edition of the South Jetty.

43 ft boat v a tanker is no match. wonder if they were drunk ?

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/local/us-coast-guard-searching-for-missing-men-after-boat-crash-results-in-1-dead-1-injured-in-port-aransas/503-dc20d9df-36a2-4be8-a967-636b2bbb14a2

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

how in the hell does that even happen

lot of speculation ...

1. boat was having mechanical issues and adrift or anchored

2. capt left the wheel for the sec, came back and bam

3. boat was on auto pilot and no one was paying attention 

id expect a 42 ft viking to have modern electronics. who knows 

4 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

The boating accident occurred at 5:30 am in the dark so they were probably just heading out.  Ship was inbound in the channel.  
I’m sure @justhookit has the most details. Alcohol unlikely. Sad deal. 

I mean it’s Port A so you never discount alcohol, but yeah. Really sad deal. All I know about is what I posted above. They people involved weren’t Port A locals they were from the surrounding area and not in the fishing circles I know.

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

I mean it’s Port A so you never discount alcohol, but yeah. Really sad deal. All I know about is what I posted above. They people involved weren’t Port A locals they were from the surrounding area and not in the fishing circles I know.

One guy was from calallen 

First hand report from someone heading out and saw it happen-

“Tanker was coming straight into the jetty. We were chugging out at like 6-8kt tanker was on are port side that sporty came up behind us at like 17-18kt went around us on port side me and me and the other mate said “surely he see the tanker right?” Then it was a “holy shit he’s going it hit it” it looked like they tried turning to go on starboard side of tanker but they stopped and that tanker hit them and shattered that boat and plowed over them and it didn’t pop out till the tanker fully went over them I just saw them get hit and I started scrambling for medical kit life jackets and throwable’s.”

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, tequila said:

First hand report from someone heading out and saw it happen-

“Tanker was coming straight into the jetty. We were chugging out at like 6-8kt tanker was on are port side that sporty came up behind us at like 17-18kt went around us on port side me and me and the other mate said “surely he see the tanker right?” Then it was a “holy shit he’s going it hit it” it looked like they tried turning to go on starboard side of tanker but they stopped and that tanker hit them and shattered that boat and plowed over them and it didn’t pop out till the tanker fully went over them I just saw them get hit and I started scrambling for medical kit life jackets and throwable’s.”

Holy hell, fucking idiots 

RiP … the water and bigger ships gjve zero fucks 

• 1 month later...

Heading to town tomorrow, but don't think I've ever been in Port A for labor day weekend previously.  Can we expect a 4th of July or Memorial Day type shitshow in beach / town?  Or does school having started limit some of the crowds?

59 minutes ago, Teebox said:

Heading to town tomorrow, but don't think I've ever been in Port A for labor day weekend previously.  Can we expect a 4th of July or Memorial Day type shitshow in beach / town?  Or does school having started limit some of the crowds?

Yes a shitshow….  Go early if you plan to eat at a restaurant.  Looks like a chance of rain now, I’ve got tickets to an outdoor concert at Palmilla Beach Resort Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Teebox said:

It’s definitely not as bad as those holidays. Still crowded though. The weather forecast doesn’t look great either and that will also help keep the crowds down.

The food scene sucks in Port A these days. There’s Venetian Hot Plate and then nothing. Sip Yard is ok if you have a group that can’t agree on where to go. Upstairs the bar has a good view and there are 5 different options for food. I’ve been out of town most of the time since they opened, but really liked their pizza place and the brisket taco at the taco place was good. The Asian place was barely mediocre. All of that was almost 2 months ago though and I think there’s a seafood place open there now.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, HenryJames said:

That sucks. That was my favorite restaurant in Port A.

In the last 10 years tourism has grown a billion percent. Despite that we’ve lost Marcel’s, Pelican CLUB (lost Pelican Landing too but that place sucked), Inferno/Liberty Hall, Shell’s, Irie’s, Harbor Lights, Giggity’s, and La Barateria. All those places were good to excellent. I’m sure I missed one or two. The few new restaurants that have opened range from mediocre to suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Boathouse Bar near the causeway is out of the way enough that it's not too crowded with tourists.  They have tv's inside and outside if the weather is nice.  It's a tad rundown since covid for full disclosure.  Looking at some recent reviews I'm not sure if the food is still solid.  They used to have really good fish and chips.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

@justhookit Is there any place to watch the game Saturday that won’t be too busy?  A nice restaurant with a bar with TV’s or something the tourists wouldn’t flock to. 

It’s Labor Day weekend everything will be busy. Good luck. Not sure if you care about sound but if you don’t, I’d probably try 1886. TV is decent enough.

same goes for Black Marlin. I think both their inside and outside bars have TV’s but honestly I don’t remember if they are good for game watching or not.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

@Hook1997I bet Black Marlin is the best choice the more I think about it. But I’d go check out their setup first.

Thanks I was thinking that possibly. Going to a concert at Palmilla after anyway.  Looks like one tv in the bar, probably won’t have sound anywhere in Port A anyway.  

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Thanks I was thinking that possibly. Going to a concert at Palmilla after anyway.  Looks like one tv in the bar, probably won’t have sound anywhere in Port A anyway.  

361 is the only place that you can count on to have sound. I just don’t like going there. I’ll be streaming the game while we are billfishing tomorrow down here in Costa Rica. Welcome to join me.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/1/2024 at 9:51 PM, CoachTex said:

20240901_131928.thumb.jpg.8e2d5662a6ddee907a8790cf15f233a0.jpg

20240901_155908.thumb.jpg.97adf4ca0ef157d6c6da1f278eb4be34.jpg

Water was awesome today.  Could see the bottom in chest deep water.  No sargassum, bait fish everywhere. Mustang island state park is never over crowded. Great decompression day.

Was there over the holiday weekend.  Busy, but not as much as usual for Labor Day.  Lots of carts still in the lots.  IGA was a zoo, but the parking lot wasn't as full as usual for heavy weekends.  Early back to school?  Fear of weather?  BTW weather was great.

• Hook 'Em 2