Port Aransas

Paco

On 7/20/2024 at 1:57 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Holy hell, fucking idiots 

RiP … the water and bigger ships gjve zero fucks 

that boat should have had a radar on it, but if there was a power loss I don't know if there is a battery backup of some kind to keep the radar going.  having a radar would possibly embolden them to go faster in the channel  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/1/2024 at 9:51 PM, CoachTex said:

20240901_131928.thumb.jpg.8e2d5662a6ddee907a8790cf15f233a0.jpg

20240901_155908.thumb.jpg.97adf4ca0ef157d6c6da1f278eb4be34.jpg

Water was awesome today.  Could see the bottom in chest deep water.  No sargassum, bait fish everywhere. Mustang island state park is never over crowded. Great decompression day.

It was crazy clear and the baitfish were crazy, felt like one of those feet soaks where the fish eat the crap off your feet.  Girlfriend got home and a dead fish fell out of here bathing suit when she took it off.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, justhookit said:

Just lost another restaurant. Moby Dick’s will be closing permanently Sep. 14th

I’m assuming it will be sold and re-open as a new restaurant.

Not my favorite restaurant, but the grandkids loved the decor. Actually, me too. Wife and I did love the Captain's Catch sandwich, which was great for a call in order after a hard day of yard work.  I remember when they had karaoke night once a week (Thursdays?).  Been there the over 25 years we've had a presence on the island.

Hey, justhookit, do you think they will auction off all those statues, etc. or maybe sell to the new owners?

Edited by abuelo gringo

39 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Not my favorite restaurant, but the grandkids loved the decor. Actually, me too. Wife and I did love the Captain's Catch sandwich, which was great for a call in order after a hard day of yard work.  I remember when they had karaoke night once a week (Thursdays?).  Been there the over 25 years we've had a presence on the island.

Hey, justhookit, do you think they will auction off all those statues, etc. or maybe sell to the new owners?

Yeah I didn’t go there much either maybe a few times a year. But they actually had fairly decent food and a ribeye steak dinner that was good.

I’m not in town and have really heard nothing yet about what is going to happen to the place. I have friends going there tonight to try to find out what the future plans are. Selling it as is seems to make the most sense to me - it’s worth a really nice chunk of change assuming they own the land. Last time Virginia’s sold it was for 18 million or something like that. Moby’s isn’t worth as much since it’s not on the water but they are going to get paid well.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Paying that much for a restaurant always blows my mind.  You are never going to make enough money to pay that off, but somehow people get the financing for it.

Location/land value is a huge chunk of it. I know the current and previous owners. That place is a gold mine, does ok during the off-season and then prints money for 4-5 months a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

This weekend on the island I learned about sea lice for the first time.  Not 5 minutes into the water and we were covered in them.  Especially the girls.  Apparently they are baby jellyfish.

People were lined up at the showers on the beach to wash them off.  Sucked because the water temp was perfect, unlike last month when it was like a hot bath.

22 hours ago, Hate said:

I hate to hear that. I’ll be there Thursday night through Monday morning. Where on the island are you? We will be at Access Road 1-A

That right where we were but I wouldn't sweat it.  Apparently it is a passing, localized thing.

Sale closed on our family place in Port A that we've had for 25 years.  Went down for decades before that either in the RV slots or friend's Condo or just rented.  Feels like end of an era.  Currently we don't feel like just going down and renting a place in Port A, it would feel weird.  Got what seemed like good money for a small older condo though.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, 3adays said:

I’ll be down there next Saturday, staying at Padilla Beach Club. Any good bars close by to watch the game? 

There aren’t any bars in Port A.

Ive never tried watching a game there, but the outdoor bar there at Palmilla has good TVs. I was there last night and they had live music. It was also overrun with families and kids so we left. If the weather is nice I’d probably watch the game at sip yard.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/9/2024 at 3:07 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Sale closed on our family place in Port A that we've had for 25 years.  Went down for decades before that either in the RV slots or friend's Condo or just rented.  Feels like end of an era.  Currently we don't feel like just going down and renting a place in Port A, it would feel weird.  Got what seemed like good money for a small older condo though.

Port A is overbuilt and real estate prices are finally dropping here. Glad you are happy with your sale. Short term rentals have come way down too so if you do decide to come down you will find good prices. For example, my wife’s 3 bedroom condo at island moorings is renting for about 250 a night. It was double that or more just a year ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Port A is overbuilt and real estate prices are finally dropping here. Glad you are happy with your sale. Short term rentals have come way down too so if you do decide to come down you will find good prices. For example, my wife’s 3 bedroom condo at island moorings is renting for about 250 a night. It was double that or more just a year ago.

Good to hear as a former frequent visitor. We just couldn’t justify the price anymore for a quick getaway weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Good to hear as a former frequent visitor. We just couldn’t justify the price anymore for a quick getaway weekend. 

Just stay away from the hotels they are still ridiculously overpriced. If you can come down with another couple or 2 the condos and houses are a great deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2024 at 11:20 AM, justhookit said:

Someone needs to tell Kevin Kieschneck.

Came out to the beach today with the holiday and I’m really amazed how clear the water has been most of the summer.  Has to be a different air stream blowing thru this year or something because it’s usually chocolate milk a lot of times.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2024 at 8:01 AM, NoName said:

At this point, who has the best breakfast tacos in Port A?

Gone to Cancun historically but anyone better? Coaches is my other go to unless I'm getting a bunch of them.

I've gone to San Juan the last few times and they are good.  Plus there is the Ice machine nearby at the laundry mat, so for my early fishing needs it's a good choice.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:59 AM, Hate said:

Great day to be at the beach. Fuck ou.

IMG_2199.jpeg

On 10/12/2024 at 6:34 PM, Hate said:

Great to celebrate kicking ou ass down at the beach!!

IMG_2221.jpeg

First Texas OU weekend I haven't been in Port A the last 20 or so years.  Trying like hell to get down at the end of the month, this is a lost year with all the stuff with my folks.  And only been down a few times. But October is my go to...   

I imagine the land for Moby Dicks is prime for redevelopment for some deeper pocketed investors.  As that building is how old?  I am sort of the same opinion as others, the kids loved it but only decent fare.  I actually think Virgina's food is as good as it's ever been.  I finally got forced into Grumbles by my buddy because of his Pina Colada love, and when you add a dark rum floater it was pretty good.  Still haven't been to Sip House, but it looks fairly happening.

Fingers crossed down in two weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ended up doing leftovers for our breakfast day.

Went to Fins though with a big group and it was so bad we probably won't be back again. Prices are way up, quality was way down. Really just about one step this side of Long John Silvers. How you screw up grilled fish, grilled shrimp, fried fish, and French fries is beyond me but they found a way to do it. On the plus side the fried pickles and jalapeños were good.

Fins is now literally more expensive than Tortugas and Black Marlin for grilled/blackened/fried fish. Was 39 for blackened Mahi Mahi at Fins and the same thing at Black Marlin is 29. Charbroiled fish at Tortugas is 35 vs 37 at Fins.

I've recommended that place to so many people based on our prior trips, never again.

On the plus side the beach was great, the house we stayed at was great, the people we went with were great and we stopped at Burger Boy on the way back. Fantastic trip but Fins is probably gone forever from the rotation.

Don't think I'm complaining about the prices, I live in a tourist town and that's a spot on the water. But expensive plus very poor quality food is a bad combo when there are much better quality and priced options for fish in that town.

Also got seafood from Pauls, which was great.

On 10/20/2024 at 5:01 PM, kevwun said:

Lelo's has pretty good tiki drinks.  We didn't eat there, but the food looked good.

Our relatives who have a house there love the burger at Lelos. 

Anyone been to the food truck yard place down by where Coaches used to be? Looks great.