The 2024 Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup - general NHL playoffs discussion thread

Nice gut on Tkachuk though, eh. 

I've never quite understood the anti-Canada thing in regards to these types of games. I often wonder if Americans - especially in southern markets - comprehend just how big hockey is up there. 

I joke around with my buddies up in Canada about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander being the best Canadian athlete at the moment and I swear they don't even know who he is. If he doesn't shoot a puck, never heard of him. I think they might actually be serious. 

That’s why it’s funny. I once went to a Dallas/Montreal game like 12 years ago to kill a night when I was in town for the FCS championship. Fuck I followed license plates from Quebec into the parking garage outside of AAC, in early January. Tons of habs fans in the arena

It’s funny because it is their sport, and a bunch of warm city teams that don’t have lick of hockey tradition whether it’s youth hockey programs, high school hockey or a D1 college team winning these Stanley cups has to be just gnawing at them. Now im not sure if Calgary flames fans were rooting for Edmonton for the sake of Canada or would rather their team be the one to break the streak

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, C-Man said:

He lost it in Games 4 and 5

Meh, McDavid was invisible for more than half of the finals, including game 7. Not sure how that translates to Conn Smythe. Florida won the Cup because of Bobrovsky.

Because it’s for the entire playoffs and ice road jesus scored a lot of points. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’s why it’s funny. I once went to a Dallas/Montreal game like 12 years ago to kill a night when I was in town for the FCS championship. Fuck I followed license plates from Quebec into the parking garage outside of AAC, in early January. Tons of habs fans in the arena

It’s funny because it is their sport, and a bunch of warm city teams that don’t have lick of hockey tradition whether it’s youth hockey programs, high school hockey or a D1 college team winning these Stanley cups has to be just gnawing at them. Now im not sure if Calgary flames fans were rooting for Edmonton for the sake of Canada or would rather their team be the one to break the streak

Ca-na-da, Ca-na-da, Ca-na-da.  It just means more...

I was cheering for Edmonton for a couple of reason. One, I wanted to see sports history made. And two, I always liked Edmonton growing up watching hockey in the 80’s. Oh well, it was a good series and I’m glad there ended up being some drama. I was really hoping for a 2 or 3 OT Game 7. That would have been epic.

• Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Yeah, hockey in Canada is sort of like football in Texas. They act like they invented the sport and it's a huge part of the culture, but it's been ages since they won the big one. It will eat at you after a while. 

Well, they won basically every Olympic gold medal when the best NHL players participated.

Also, of the 35 players who appeared on Florida’s roster this season, only eight are American-born.

Yeah, was explaining this to my daughter last night watching game #7.  It's a big deal in Canada, but half the U.S. teams have rosters made up of Canadians and Europeans.  It's just a question of the return address of the player's paycheck is all.  

Reminds me of this time, i don't fully remember the context.  But I was lecturing at McCombs and used some corny analogy between finance and the World Series.  And this kid from Asia (NTTAWWT), raises his hand and says it shouldn't be called 'the World Series' because all of teams are from North America, and all but one from the United States.  So it's not really a championship series for all of the world.  So I have to go on a typical Lobo tangent and acknowledge, that yes---there are other pro leagues around the world but the best from every country for almost a century come to North America to play in the MLB.  Foreign leagues and WBC aside, the MLB World Series has the 50 best players and pitchers on the planet Earth.  Bar none.  Kinda like finance, there are geniuses from Gambia to Samoa, from Tierra del Fuego to Yakutsk.  But they are all drawn to handful of cities just like players are drawn to handful of cities in baseball.  For the very simple reason, the best want to play with the best and against the best.  Geography is a mere footnote to them.  

That said, I've love a pro NHL team in Austin someday...

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
Because it’s for the entire playoffs and ice road jesus scored a lot of points. 

Except when it mattered. That part is kind of important, IMO.

Im not arguing for or against him, was more of a reminder, beyond bettman making sure to say it during his overly long speech, that it’s supposed to be a playoff award not a finals award. 

22 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Nice gut on Tkachuk though, eh. 

I've never quite understood the anti-Canada thing in regards to these types of games. I often wonder if Americans - especially in southern markets - comprehend just how big hockey is up there. 

I joke around with my buddies up in Canada about Shai Gilgeous-Alexander being the best Canadian athlete at the moment and I swear they don't even know who he is. If he doesn't shoot a puck, never heard of him. I think they might actually be serious. 

You must not hang around Habs/Leafs fans too often, eh? Fuck all of them and let them soak in misery for many years to come. 

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  This is rich coming from a Boston bro

Those people are 10x worse than me, trust me. I live adjacent to them. I travel to Toronto/Montreal for work and talk hockey with coworkers. These people are absolutely out of their minds and actively think the NHL is conspiring against teams from Canada. One could even describe them as northern aggies. They deserve their hockey misery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't matter now. 

Edmonton Oilers coach Kris Knoblauch said Wednesday that some of the team's top stars were playing through injuries during their Stanley Cup playoff run.

Knoblauch said Leon Draisaitl had hand and rib injuries that left staff questioning whether he could play, forward Evander Kane had a sports hernia, and captain Connor McDavid was also playing hurt.

Knoblauch declined to disclose what ailment McDavid, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as playoff MVP, was dealing with, saying that was best left to the team's medical staff. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40439252/oilers-connor-mcdavid-leon-draisaitl-played-hurt-postseason

18 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

You must not hang around Habs/Leafs fans too often, eh? Fuck all of them and let them soak in misery for many years to come. 

I found Dangle when the Stars acquired Seguin from y'all. He is a window into Canadian hockey fan, in particular the tragic Toronto fan. I mean that's the name of his book, "This team is ruining my life".

The closest sports comparison I have is the Cowboys. The fan bases are nearly totally unaware of each other. Dangle couldn't describe cover 2 if you held a gun to his head, but he knows stick and puck. 

His most watched video is his epic meltdown when they lost to the Zamboni driver. He knows we are sickos. He knows we are going to show up in droves to watch his rants. 

I don't mind if it irks them no end that the other Florida team beat them this year. 

I would have been fine if EDM had won. It would have irritated Calgary and been another stab at the ego of Toronto. 

Well, someone start an off season thread. Free agency looming large.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

LOL! Not sure I agree with the misery aspect. I played overseas for five years with Canadians and they're the best teammates and people you could ever meet. Very passionate fans.  

However, I will say, if you play against a guy wearing #67, you know he's from TO. Ha! 

My comments are solely directed towards their fans. The players are great! Fans are horrible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

My comments are solely directed towards their fans. The players are great! Fans are horrible. 

I'm just saying you don't appreciate the irony that literally all sports fans in the US (with no dog in the fight, i.e., not Yankees fans) universally think Boston sports fans (along with Philadelphia sports fans) are terrible.  I've actually never minded any of the Boston teams (other than being over Brady/Bellicheck) and I love the City itself, but the Boston fanbase has always been annoying AF.