Transfer Cycle 2024-2025 - It's Time For You Dorks To Worry About the Numbers

Posted (edited)

NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommends eliminating spring transfer portal window

ZACH BARNETT         6 HOURS AGO

The NCAA Football Oversight Committee has recommended eliminating the spring transfer portal window, Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports reported Friday.

If approved, the change would go into effect immediately -- eliminating a window that is currently scheduled to take place April 16-30, 2025.

The only window for the upcoming window would run Dec. 9, 2024 through Jan. 7, 2025. 

The proposal would have to be approved by the NCAA Division I Council, a 40-member group compromised primarily of faculty reps, athletics directors and commissioners. The Football Oversight Committee is a 17-member panel also populated primarily by ADs, but it also includes AFCA executive director Craig Bohl, Illinois head coach Bret Bielema, and one active player.

If and when the Division I Council approves the proposal, 2025 would be the busiest year of roster upheaval in college football since the NCAA went from 95 scholarships to 85 in 1992. 

The NCAA is moving to a 105-man roster limit (all of whom would be eligible for a scholarship) beginning July 1, 2025. Most FBS teams hover around a 120-man roster limit, which will lead to tough conversations in December and even tougher positional battles next spring, where players would either have to make the 105-man roster or sit out of college football altogether for the upcoming season, if the Oversight Committee's recommendation passes. 

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Wtf. That would be awful. The season isn’t even over for many teams during the first window. 

Awful for good teams that make it far and can afford top talent. This is interesting. I wonder what group got together to push the ncaa to propose this. A team like tech could realize the benefits of this. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They should get rid of December portal but keep spring. The December one makes no sense with playoffs and bowls plus very short time between fall and spring semester 

100% agree. That would make way more sense. It would give the athletes a much more realistic sense of their standing for the next season, too. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Wtf. That would be awful. The season isn’t even over for many teams during the first window. 

The season is over for all but 4 (maybe 8?) teams by January 7th. It's a perfectly fine change that won't go through because the NCAA will get sued. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

But of course coaches can still leave anytime and as many times as they damn well please in conference or out.

tumblr_ml2vo0hG7S1r4gei2o8_400.gif

The 30 day window will still exist for coaches leaving. 

I think it’s good to not have both because the transferring for a semester shit is more idiotic. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

• 3 weeks later...

While everyone is worrying about Quinn's abdomen, if being ranked #1 is good, Blue's ankle, why Michael Terry would even consider Neb, etc... how about we add to the worry list with some transfer needs for next year too

• QB: 0. We are set with Arch, Trey, and KJ
  • RB: 1-2. Seems like we should have a depth of 6 every season. With Blue gone and uncertainty on how CJ and Clark will recover, this number might be 2.
  • WR: 1, maybe 2? Even though we are bringing in 5 stars and we will Wingo, Cook, Moore, etc., I don't think Sark will turn down an elite talent if it's there.
  • TE: 1? Helm and Davis will be gone; Washington and Niblack will be back + Townsend. Does this room need another player?
  • OL: 0-2? This depends on how much of the right side of the line leaves. There is depth and talent here, but will the staff try to bring in some experience next year?
  • DE: 1? Sorrel is gone, but will Burke leave too? Current recruiting class has talent at this position and plenty of talent on the roster now. 
  • DT: 2-3. All signs point to bringing in 4-5 DT in the recruiting class this year. But with at least 5 DT leaving after this year, the staff will need the portal to bring in experience.
  • LB: 1. With Gbenda and Blackwell gone, will need to fill in experienced depth.
  • DB: 1-2. Last year's recruiting class should be ready to fill departures at S, NB, and CB next season, but the staff will need to bring in some depth.

• Like 1

I don't think they need to bring in a RB. There's no guarantee Blue will be gone. Through the first 2 games he looked ok before the injury but nothing like Brooks last year. He'll need to stay healthy and show real NFL potential otherwise it would be foolish to leave early. 

WR - 1 portal guy I'd imagine if they can pull in an elite guy like a Bond or Golden. Not sure they'd take 2. 

TE - might need one but going to be hard to find a guy who can block and get out and punish teams in the passing game like Helm. Or anywhere close. need Niblack to get better and Washington to be ready to go. 

OL - they don't typically take any here as Flood recruits that position really well. Maybe 1 at most if a big time guy is there but doubtful. 

DE - Burke isn't going anywhere unless it's to the portal. Doubt they take any. 

DT - Bledsoe probably to the portal you'd think. Dude can't get any snaps in his 3rd year on campus. Mitchell is still unknown. Probably take 3 again. 

LB and DB I have no idea. Took a big DB class last year so if a couple of those guys are ready might not need any. Or just 1. LB probably 1 but Ty'Anthony, Hill, and Lefau look like they'll be the top 3. 

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's not just that, OL are very hard to find in the portal.  You can't rebuild through it like you can at other spots.

I also just use "portal" as a "poach who you want" since backdoor chats can happen. I still don't see that happening in the Oline room while flood is here.

On 9/15/2024 at 4:45 PM, Danimal said:

While everyone is worrying about Quinn's abdomen, if being ranked #1 is good, Blue's ankle, why Michael Terry would even consider Neb, etc... how about we add to the worry list with some transfer needs for next year too

• QB: 0. We are set with Arch, Trey, and KJ
  • RB: 1-2. Seems like we should have a depth of 6 every season. With Blue gone and uncertainty on how CJ and Clark will recover, this number might be 2.
  • WR: 1, maybe 2? Even though we are bringing in 5 stars and we will Wingo, Cook, Moore, etc., I don't think Sark will turn down an elite talent if it's there.
  • TE: 1? Helm and Davis will be gone; Washington and Niblack will be back + Townsend. Does this room need another player?
  • OL: 0-2? This depends on how much of the right side of the line leaves. There is depth and talent here, but will the staff try to bring in some experience next year?
  • DE: 1? Sorrel is gone, but will Burke leave too? Current recruiting class has talent at this position and plenty of talent on the roster now. 
  • DT: 2-3. All signs point to bringing in 4-5 DT in the recruiting class this year. But with at least 5 DT leaving after this year, the staff will need the portal to bring in experience.
  • LB: 1. With Gbenda and Blackwell gone, will need to fill in experienced depth.
  • DB: 1-2. Last year's recruiting class should be ready to fill departures at S, NB, and CB next season, but the staff will need to bring in some depth.

RB- We will have 6 RBs. Wisner, Gibson, Baxter, Clark, Stewart and Simon. 7 scholarship guys at that spot seems like a lot, but I do understand it is a tricky situation with 2 guys coming off season-ending injuries who won't even be participating in spring practice.

OL- It's been brought up several times, but I doubt we will see all 5 starters depart. I think Campbell is playing relatively well but you usually need to be a total badass to justify entering early as a guard. I think the most likely scenario is Campbell and Hutson return to occupy the two guard spots in 2025 with Robertson/Cruz competing at center. Cam Williams is obviously a big wildcard.

LB- I agree that a veteran guy is likely needed here. After Hill it is a bunch of young pups who we think will be good but will be mostly unproven. 

DB- Are we assuming Guilbeau is leaving early? If he returns, I'm not sure I see the need for a portal DB. Maybe a safety could make sense, but with Taaffe, McDonald, and Williams all set to return and Jonah Williams coming in, I wouldn't say it is a dire need. Where Johnson-Rubell and Wardell Mack slot in long-term will be interesting. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

RB- We will have 6 RBs. Wisner, Gibson, Baxter, Clark, Stewart and Simon. 7 scholarship guys at that spot seems like a lot, but I do understand it is a tricky situation with 2 guys coming off season-ending injuries who won't even be participating in spring practice.

OL- It's been brought up several times, but I doubt we will see all 5 starters depart. I think Campbell is playing relatively well but you usually need to be a total badass to justify entering early as a guard. I think the most likely scenario is Campbell and Hutson return to occupy the two guard spots in 2025 with Robertson/Cruz competing at center. Cam Williams is obviously a big wildcard.

LB- I agree that a veteran guy is likely needed here. After Hill it is a bunch of young pups who we think will be good but will be mostly unproven. 

DB- Are we assuming Guilbeau is leaving early? If he returns, I'm not sure I see the need for a portal DB. Maybe a safety could make sense, but with Taaffe, McDonald, and Williams all set to return and Jonah Williams coming in, I wouldn't say it is a dire need. Where Johnson-Rubell and Wardell Mack slot in long-term will be interesting. 

They’re playing Lefau a lot and he had some meaningful minutes against UTSA. Taking a LB with that many in the room wouldn’t be very productive.

Why are you assuming that Guilbeau goes pro?

Late round pick grades might be reason for various guys to come back, get paid, and try to boost their draft prospects.  

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The OP said replacing guys at NB, S and CB so I thought he was inferring that. I don't share that opinion. He is a guy who probably needs to come back as things currently stand.

I should have explained this better. I still think of Barron as a NB/STAR. Mukuba will be gone at Safety. And Gavin Holmes will gone at CB.

Overall, DT is the only position right now that we will need to use the portal to get starter-level players. Everything else would be about rounding out experience in the 2-deep, if needed.

Unless Jerry Jones gets a hard on for him, teams usually don’t draft lineman that high who commit 1-2 procedural penalties a game. Williams has to clean that up or I would expect him back. 

DJ Campbell lol at that one. If he declares good luck to him. That will not go well for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea, I’d be shocked if we take a portal LB. Maybe one CB if guys aren’t showing enough and a clear upgrade presents itself. I could see a S too to maintain the ability to rotate quality guys. 
DT is the key spot on defense, probably 2-3 guys. I could also see a DE or two. 

Taking a TE makes sense, but that may be it for offense. I’m sure Sark will go after a badass receiver though. 

The number at WR should be zero unless Golden also moves on. It is possible he enters the draft but I haven't seen the same kind of projected buzz around him as I have with Bond. So far anyway. If Golden leaves I think that opens the door to adding someone but otherwise you have to feel really fucking good about a 2025 WR room with Wingo, Golden, Cook and Moore. Especially when both Lockett and Ffrench are likely going to be able to contribute meaningfully as first year players. 

TE is where I hope we go hunting for an elite player. Niblack is yet another useless pussy so bad at blocking he becomes a liability if he steps on the field. Didn't understand that take at all. Sark has a fetish for shitty weak TEs. I don't count him still being here in the future as a positive. Give me a big lumbering TE who can put someone on their ass and still somewhat reliably make a catch after posting up in space please. Would be huge for Arch in his first year to have that kind of security blanket. Maybe Washington and the others are developing nicely enough that we don't have to dip into the portal but it seems an obvious spot to pursue a top end player and buy those guys another season to develop. 

RB seems like an obvious one for one situation where if Blue or anyone else leaves we replace them in the portal. I don't see how you can go into next year with just Gibson, Wisner, Simon and two guys coming off major injury. If Blue moves on I think we add a guy even if its not some top end dude. 

I wouldn't hate seeing us pursue a Center. I get we like the internal options being groomed and developed behind Majors and ideally one of them would end up starting next year but it never hurts to have at least one experienced guy in that room. There tend to be a lot of pretty decent experienced centers in the portal every cycle looking to jump to bigger programs with better academics just so they can get that more impressive degree before being done with football. Grabbing one of those for depth would be sensible and not that costly. 

On defense the big one is ofc IDL with probably needing another two starter rotation quality guys from the portal. 

The rest of the defense honestly seems fine. LB should be in a great spot. Edge is going to be loaded even with Moore and Sorrell moving on. Honestly even if we lose an unexpected Edge to the portal I still think we are good there. We have guys coming in that can contribute in the rotation as freshman. CB and safety are likewise probably not 'needs' but if we see some true elite difference maker out there it never hurts to try and starfuck to improve the roster. Will be more about replacing any unwanted portal departures than anything else probably. 

TLDR version:

RB: 1 if Blue leaves

TE: 1 if we can find someone elite who isn't a massive useless pussy at blocking too. If we are going to hunt for a 'big ticket item' this cycle I'd prefer it be at TE honestly. 

OL: Maybe 1 experienced center just because that position being a mess can kill an entire team. Depth floor setting type.

WR: 0 unless someone other than Bond and Bolden leave. If Golden or someone unexpected were to move on or portal out you would probably replace them one for one. 

IDL: 2 starter quality types even if we lose no one unexpected. Probably a third after we see who all departs.

CB/NB/S: Probably a 'need' of 0 but as always if there is some badass difference maker out there at one of those spots you probably kick the tires. 

QB/Edge/LB: 0 unless something major and unexpected happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jordan Washington is our big ticket item at tight end. Unless something derails his development curve, he seems to be the most likely starter next year. 

I also do not see us taking a RB early in the transfer portal with six scholarship backs on the roster next year. That needs to be a wait and see if guys are not on track for recovery or we lose someone to the portal. If Baxter is on track to play, you have a logjam again. 

I would imagine there will be some bridge starters on the OL for the first time. They LOVE what they have in the room but taking a starter to give the young dudes like Goosby, Cruz and Baker an extra year would be smart. RB will depend on how baxter recovers from injury and if Blue leaves. TE may make sense again but Washington will be a stud. Probably some more patchwork on the DL. Otherwise too early to speculate on anything really. The best part of all of this is that it is pure replenishment and depth not complete patchwork bullshit. This staff is excellent at prioritization, just keep winning, just keep getting donations and this thing will be a fucking ROCKET

• Hook 'Em 4