UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Team Rex and Hartzell. This was dismissing the arrest from when they started to camp and wouldn't move (i.e., not the first incident).   If the prosecutor doesn't want to do their job that's an Austin problem (of which there are many and doesn't surprise me in the least).  But hey, I'm sure not supporting rights of a bunch of douchebag purple haired kids and their far left instigators to camp in violation of rules and resist arrest makes me a trumper per Surly standards. 

"team Rex & Hartzell"?  That sounds like the lamest band ever.  

I'll leave it to the law dogs to explain, but since many of the arrests were made by UTPD and DPS (both state, not local Law Enforcement agencies), and made on state lands/properties...there could have been a case made against these young people by someone other than Travis County.  Yet they didn't make an attempt.  Do your own research.  

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

"team Rex & Hartzell"?  That sounds like the lamest band ever.  

I'll leave it to the law dogs to explain, but since many of the arrests were made by UTPD and DPS (both state, not local Law Enforcement agencies), and made on state lands/properties...there could have been a case made against these young people by someone other than Travis County.  Yet they didn't make an attempt.  Do your own research.  

I don't care enough to "do my own research" beyond snippets in an article.  I'm just glad these losers have an arrest record allowing potential employers to make their own decisions.

• Like 1

Oh, I agree.  Most of 'em are dipshits who couldn't find Gaza on a map or describe what "Hamas" is.  And they are certainly old enough to live with the ramifications of their behavior.  But to be fair to them, several of these young people were pretty roughed up by police and didn't need to be.  There's force posturing and then there's just being fucking assholes.  But, as you say, they answer for it all the same in an interview one day soon.  

I was directly in front of the dozens of Free Palestine protestors at the Bari Weiss talk at LBJ a few months back.  Little too close for comfort.  I'm losing my edge, but I'm still just barely young and big enough to handle myself, and it got fucking weird for a minute before UTPD was all over them.  Most of them were just chanting and holding signs and Palestinian flags and that's all well and good, I'm for robust debate in academia.  And Bari handled it well.  But there was a few folks there holding the green&white militant Hamas flag, who were clearly plants.  And they got real fucking awkward real fucking quick.  It went from "Well it's interesting to hearing from Kate McKinnon's ex-girlfriend discuss Middle Eastern affairs whilst seated near UT luminaries to "Oh shit, like I'm gonna have to fight my outta this and explain to my wife while I was on camera brawling with college kids."  

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I went to a Free Palestine concert at Far Out Lounge the other night because my daughter's band played.  I didn't so much care for the message in a vacuum, although I do wish Israel would stop being genocidal maniacs.  Tomato, tomahto.

You are now antisemitic and so is your commie daughter, expect your badges in 3-5 business days.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The two bolded things - which I may find as offensive/more offensive than a "cobbler without ice cream" stance - are, without attendant violence/destruction of property, protected by the Constitution.

You can attention whore all you want for/against Israel, Palestine, or cobbler.  You can be anti-semitic, pro-jewish, or ambivalent on jews but just protest all of it because you're sick of the argument.  As long as you don't commit or incite violence, it's protected by the Constitution.

Being happy that someone's speech was shut down by the government because you disagree with the content is about as un-American as it gets.  So, I'm quite unsurprised to see that approach championed here, and by you.

K

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Lol, he hates attention whoring, but is being pushed further right, a side that is led by the most attention whoringest whore of all time.

Oh yeah, but he totally doesn't like or support him . . .

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

I wouldn’t vote for him if I had non-Magic Johnson full blown aids and that motherfucker had the cure. This site absolutely makes me more conservative. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I went to a Free Palestine concert at Far Out Lounge the other night because my daughter's band played.  I didn't so much care for the message in a vacuum, although I do wish Israel would stop being genocidal maniacs.  Tomato, tomahto.

Of course you did. 

Dude, you've voted for him IRL.  Just man up to it.  74mm other people did it, too.  It's a curious decision, but sometimes we gotta vote our industry.  But this incessant deflection is just embarrassing fo you.  This site probably every once in awhile drive people to extreme ends.  I'm still about where I started, but just more zero'd in on small changes.  You took a wildcatter gamble and thought embracing the cruel stupids would help you out, and now it's come back to be a burden to your reputation.  That's okay.  We all make mistakes.  Just don't double down on it, which is exactly what I'd tell these dipshit protestors on UT's campus---I'm sure we're 20 minutes away from them declaring the war in Hamas is about oil.  

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  But you vote for Trump.

I mean, I fully support the idea of Israel not bombing the living shit out of Gaza, but I realize that gives you the creeps.  One of us is a shitbag, and it ain't me.

I don’t vote for substandard candidates and have never voted nor will ever vote for that guy. 

43 minutes ago, softlynow said:

You would never support your daughter?

Neither of my daughters would be in a band. If they were, they wouldn’t play a Free Palestine show unless it was some youthful oversight. If one of them did, fucking no, I would not go and support her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Neither of my daughters would be in a band. If they were, they wouldn’t play a Free Palestine show unless it was some youthful oversight. If one of them did, fucking no, I would not go and support her. 

I'll make sure to inform her of your thoughts.  It's been a little hard to keep up, given their increasingly larger budget tours and multiple record deals on the table.

Translation:  fuck you and your bad dad instincts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I don’t vote for substandard candidates and have never voted nor will ever vote for that guy. 

That’s pretty sad. About your daughters not being the types to be in a band, that is. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll make sure to inform her of your thoughts.  It's been a little hard to keep up, given their increasingly larger budget tours and multiple record deals on the table.

Translation:  fuck you and your bad dad instincts.

Good for her I guess. Not sure why she’d care about some rando message board guy, but tell her. 

7 minutes ago, softlynow said:

That’s pretty sad. About your daughters not being the types to be in a band, that is. 

One of them is a dancer and sprinter. The other will get a lacrosse scholarship. They’re not band girls. 

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Rex apparently wouldn’t. That’s pretty telling.

I support them without reservation. I do not support all of their actions always. But I wouldn’t be caught dead there. And they’d never attend any Free Palestine bullshit. Wouldn’t matter if Taylor Swift was playing. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Tell me, Rex:  what is wrong with Gaza not being under seige?

You wouldn't happen to be a bigot, would you?  Don't answer that.

How many hostages are still alive? How many Hamas members are still active?

Can Gaza have a future with a thriving terrorist organization being part of its fabric.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Including the decision not to prosecute?  Or are you good with it all right up till then, and THEN, well, they got it all wrong?

In my future dictatorship, you'll be one of the first ones to the gallows.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

And you REALLY don't want to hear my edict about assholes who serve red beans and rice without sausage.

I didn’t know it was physically possible to make red beans wo sausage 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Tell me, Rex:  what is wrong with Gaza not being under seige?

You wouldn't happen to be a bigot, would you?  Don't answer that.

Keep in mind you're arguing with a guy who, completely seriously, told immamac that his rich friends won't donate to UT's NIL because the CR is too toxic. This is not a serious person.

12 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Keep in mind you're arguing with a guy who, completely seriously, told immamac that his rich friends won't donate to UT's NIL because the CR is too toxic. This is not a serious person.

Nah, just said they’ll route it through a non-Surly conduit. Good effort though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Captainant said:

Wow, look at that! Even more arrests with charges getting dropped because the cops were just out there to silence speech that abbott didn't like

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/06/26/university-of-texas-protesters-79-charges-dropped/

Criminal charges were dropped against 79 people arrested at a pro-Palestinian demonstration at the University of Texas at Austin on April 29. Travis County Attorney Delia Garza announced the charges would be dismissed at a press conference on Wednesday.

The protesters were charged with criminal trespass, a Class B misdemeanor. Although the arrests met the initial requirements for probable cause, the County Attorney’s Office could not meet their legal burden to prove these charges beyond a reasonable doubt, Garza said.

The police crackdowns on pro-Palestinian protests on April 24 and April 29 at the University of Texas at Austin are part of a larger wave of law enforcement and university administrators responding to pro-Palestinian demonstrations on college campuses across the country. Gov. Greg Abbott and other state leaders lauded the arrests, calling the protests “hate-filled and anti-semitic.” Abbott ordered the Department of Public Safety to help UT-Austin police crack down on the protests.

“The decisions that were made in response to these protests continue to show, as I’ve said before, the severe lack of leadership we expect from our leaders, as they continue to prioritize extreme government overreach over actual public safety,” Garza said.

Abbott will go after them a different way 

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Abbott will go after them a different way 

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Abbott way: let someone murder them, then pardon the murderer.  Easy-peasy.

Or perhaps he was trying to deter media coverage of embarrassing shit. And was successful. Y’all are probably right though. He’s up to something sinister. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Abbott is in office for life, he doesn’t care about negative media coverage. 

You missed my point. Or maybe you didn’t. He was trying to keep the Free Palestine nonsense away from his school, his state and his city. He’ll take any negative perception from Surly and type that are critical of him here all day long, and so will I. He handled it appropriately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

He was trying to keep the Free Palestine nonsense away from his school, his state and his city. He’ll take any negative perception from Surly and type that are critical of him here all day long, and so will I. He handled it appropriately. 

Translation: Abbott used the force of the state to suppress a message that he didn't like.  And Rex approves.

Rex hates the First Amendment.  Which we already knew.  It only applies to positions he agrees with, if he disagrees with it, it has zero application and should be disregarded.  Cool, cool.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Translation: Abbott used the force of the state to suppress a message that he didn't like.  And Rex approves.

Rex hates the First Amendment.  Which we already knew.  It only applies to positions he agrees with, if he disagrees with it, it has zero application and should be disregarded.  Cool, cool.

Fine with the first amendment for the most part. Hate hate speech and violence inciting. You’re the kind of guy that keeps the ex Harvard president in her current position. Luckily you’re in the minority. 

1 minute ago, Rex Kramer said:

Hate hate speech and violence inciting.

Cool.  That's fine.

But that's not why you said that you liked Abbott cracking protester skulls.   You didn't say "he acted to stop violence."  You said you were happy that "he was trying to keep the Free Palestine nonsense away from his school."  That is, cracking down on the speech because of its message, without regard to whether it was inciting violence or not.

Which, of course, is exactly what Abbott said he was doing, in plain violation of the constitution.

Someone protests and demands that all cobbler from now on be served WITHOUT ice cream?  While I find that deeply offensive to my values, that is protected speech.

If those protesters start throwing cobbler pans at the public/the cops as they yell "all cobbler, no ice cream!"?  Arrest them.

You support arrests for the first thing -- a message you don't like.  That makes you deeply, deeply un-American.  It makes you an authoritarian.  I'd prefer that you just moved to an authoritarian paradise of your choosing instead of trying to turn the land of the free into another authoritarian shithole.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool.  That's fine.

But that's not why you said that you liked Abbott cracking protester skulls.   You didn't say "he acted to stop violence."  You said you were happy that "he was trying to keep the Free Palestine nonsense away from his school."  That is, cracking down on the speech because of its message, without regard to whether it was inciting violence or not.

Which, of course, is exactly what Abbott said he was doing, in plain violation of the constitution.

Someone protests and demands that all cobbler from now on be served WITHOUT ice cream?  While I find that deeply offensive to my values, that is protected speech.

If those protesters start throwing cobbler pans at the public/the cops as they yell "all cobbler, no ice cream!"?  Arrest them.

You support arrests for the first thing -- a message you don't like.  That makes you deeply, deeply un-American.  It makes you an authoritarian.  I'd prefer that you just moved to an authoritarian paradise of your choosing instead of trying to turn the land of the free into another authoritarian shithole.

Sure

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

With a vast catalogue of dumb analogies, you’ve somehow hit rock bottom.  Amazing.  Cobbler and authoritarianism. 

I’m not even reading. It’s a typical bombastic display with a theme of forced humor. He’s 100% wrong on this but will never admit it, so I’m just responding like a slapdick. 

6 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not even reading. It’s a typical bombastic display with a theme of forced humor. He’s 100% wrong on this but will never admit it, so I’m just responding like a slapdick. 

How am I wrong about you approving of the governor sending the cops to bust up protesters because "He was trying to keep the Free Palestine nonsense away from his school?"  How is that not a content-based decision to use the power of the state?

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

With a vast catalogue of dumb analogies, you’ve somehow hit rock bottom.  Amazing.  Cobbler and authoritarianism. 

And yeah, the extremes of the analogy is the point.  The First Amendment applies to the trivial, the incredibly important, the things everyone agrees with, and the things nobody agrees with.  That's the whole point -- the applicability of the law and its protection applies regardless of the content.

3 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

You missed my point. Or maybe you didn’t. He was trying to keep the Free Palestine nonsense away from his school, his state and his city. He’ll take any negative perception from Surly and type that are critical of him here all day long, and so will I. He handled it appropriately. 

It's astonishing how little you understand about the role of higher education, and in particular public higher education.  UT should revoke whatever degrees they might have bestowed on you.

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's astonishing how little you understand about the role of higher education, and in particular public higher education.  UT should revoke whatever degrees they might have bestowed on you.

It’s astonishing you don’t understand the statement being made when you attend a Free Palestine rally. I wouldn’t have ever considered the notion of the university revoking your degree(s). 

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

It’s astonishing you don’t understand the statement being made when you attend a Free Palestine rally. I wouldn’t have ever considered the notion of the university revoking your degree(s). 

The next Free Palestine rally I attend will be the first.  Pay attention, dumbass.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:58 PM, Rex Kramer said:

I support them without reservation. I do not support all of their actions always. But I wouldn’t be caught dead there. And they’d never attend any Free Palestine bullshit. Wouldn’t matter if Taylor Swift was playing. 

Kelly’s dad wouldn’t be caught dead at any Save Miracles fundraiser. Until he realized that he raised his daughter to take action in causes for which she believed. When Douglas Construction rolled in with the heavy machinery, Ozone and Turbo turned them back with nothing more than a boom box, some pop & lock, and pizza boxes. Kelly’s dad was impressed with the resolve and went on down to support his daughter as she and her friends danced their way to building community among those with different beliefs. If all dads would just support their daughters, Hamas, Palestinians, and Israel could learn from Breakin 2, and maybe the Middle East could electric boogaloo themselves to peaceful existence. 

• Like 1