Jay Hartzell is not out standard

Dahobbs

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean the IT facet I get. Can and should be allowed to work from anywhere. I'd assume that's all down to managers. I guess my thought is...what other vast amounts of staff (not IT) are working 2-3 days off campus a week? Certanily not janitors, or librarians, etc. I guess my real question, is how many "staff" positions don't bascially have to be in person already? I guess I'm completely ignorant. 

The amount of staff has ballooned on college campuses in the last 3 decades to mind blowing amounts. It's one of the biggest reason that the cost of higher education is out pacing inflation at such a rate. 

Purchasing folks are another like IT that do not need to be butts in seats to do their jobs, and lots of the folks I have worked with that are in different states are project managers.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean the IT facet I get. Can and should be allowed to work from anywhere. I'd assume that's all down to managers. I guess my thought is...what other vast amounts of staff (not IT) are working 2-3 days off campus a week? Certanily not janitors, or librarians, etc. I guess my real question, is how many "staff" positions don't bascially have to be in person already? I guess I'm completely ignorant. 

Sure, I can get student facing and facilities personnel.  All positions is a big deal, especially when the university has reclaimed physical space and offices had moved to co-working areas.  

46 minutes ago, 1978horn said:
Figured this was the best place.  They are going to lose a lot of people.

Dear UT community,

Beginning this fall semester, the University will require almost all staff members to work on site full time. This will be a significant change for some members of our community, so it is important to take a step back and explain why requiring in-person work best supports our culture and reinforces the teaching and research mission of our University.

Staff members can most effectively serve our students, faculty, fellow staff members, and other stakeholders when working together in an environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, availability, and reliability. Our vibrant campus community helps distinguish our great University, and as members of our staff, you contribute to that vibrancy each day. We are here because of our students, and your consistent presence will help provide a more complete and engaging learning experience for students throughout campus.

Leaders of colleges, schools, and units will work through the logistics of these changes and, by early July, will finalize their plans to bring most staff members back to on-site work full time. All plans will be fully implemented by Aug. 19, which is one week before the start of fall classes. Based on the revised guidelines, a small number of roles will continue to be eligible for remote or hybrid work at the discretion of the supervisor and college, school, or unit leader. These roles will be characterized by observable productivity; work that is transactional, internal, or service related; or functions that require high levels of individual time to perform. 

For all staff members, some occasions may call for irregular schedules or intermittent remote work that does not require formal arrangements. Managers will continue to make those decisions on an as-needed basis.

Thank you for your work and your profound dedication to our Longhorn community. I look forward to having students, faculty, and staff together on the Forty Acres as we continue to make this the world’s highest-impact public research university. 
Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell
President

Yikes my mom runs one of the major call hubs for UT Austin and she's been able to do way more without driving in an hour from Pflugerville every day. This is a boneheaded business consultant brain move. 

10 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

The amount of staff has ballooned on college campuses in the last 3 decades to mind blowing amounts. It's one of the biggest reason that the cost of higher education is out pacing inflation at such a rate. 

No it’s not 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It's an hour to get from P-ville to campus these days? Maybe my memory is faulty but I remember driving out to Yager in like 15 minutes.

I'm in South Austin, 11 miles from campus, and work 7-3 so I don't have an hour commute each way. It's still 30 minutes in the morning and 30-45 in the afternoon. All on Mopac. I-35 would be double that drive time.

Edited by UnivTex34

11 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

It's an hour to get from P-ville to campus these days? Maybe my memory is faulty but I remember driving out to Yager in like 15 minutes.

During rush hour?  I don't think so.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Not the thread to get into it with you, but agree to disagree. 

Okay, but I mean my PhD is in higher ed policy and I deal with higher ed budgets everyday. Unless you’re the VP of budget and finance for UT, I’m going to continue to tell you that staff salaries have little to nothing to do with tuition increases. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

It's one of the biggest reason that the cost of higher education is out pacing inflation at such a rate. 

The cost or the price?  If your concern is the latter, that’s market economics.

31 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

P-ville is over 20 miles from campus. It'd be hard to do it in 15 minutes without any traffic or traffic lights, and going 75 mph from parking lot to parking lot. 

Why can’t they run all of the classes, lectures, and university services out of a Chinese call center? They’d save a lot of money that way. And it would make foreign espionage much more efficient. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Okay, but I mean my PhD is in higher ed and I deal with higher ed budgets everyday. Unless you’re the VP of budget and finance for UT, I’m going to continue to tell you that staff salaries have little to nothing to do with tuition increases. 

While I'm not the CFO, I do and have worked closely with their office for the last 18 years. And I didn't say staff salaries was the reason. But the total cost of supporting a staff force of 5000 vs 25000 is a major drag on a CSU's budget. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Why can’t they run all of the classes, lectures, and university services out of a Chinese call center? They’d save a lot of money that way. And it would make foreign espionage much more efficient. 

To be fair, their espionage is already prettay, prettaaaaaaaaaaay efficient. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My wife (no pics) is on a team that that does accounting for the research arm and half of her team is not in Austin.  Let's say there was not good communication on this.  Her boss didn't know until the letter was sent out.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Based on the revised guidelines, a small number of roles will continue to be eligible for remote or hybrid work at the discretion of the supervisor and college, school, or unit leader. These roles will be characterized by observable productivity; work that is transactional, internal, or service related; or functions that require high levels of individual time to perform. 

There's a carve out here for certain roles, so my guess is this is aimed squarely at those whose jobs are outward facing but are digging in their heels about coming in more.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

All I know is I'm really tired of communicating with WFH people with crappy phone connections.  Someone fix this and I'd be more on board with WFH crowd.

That’s a pretty simple fix. Require that any WFH employee maintains a minimum level of bandwidth for their home internet connection. My wife and I both work primarily from home. We have a gigabit connection and rarely have issues unless there’s something fucky going on with AT&T’s network, but that can happen anywhere. When I worked from an office we had more network issues there than we experience at home.

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

All I know is I'm really tired of communicating with WFH people with crappy phone connections.  Someone fix this and I'd be more on board with WFH crowd.

sounds like you work with some bad IT boomers, most VOIP solutions have decent to good echo cancellation and can make most microphones sound halfway decent

2 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

There's a carve out here for certain roles, so my guess is this is aimed squarely at those whose jobs are outward facing but are digging in their heels about coming in more.

I mean, I'm listed as quoted here but that is not a post I made. 

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

They need crystal clear ISDN lines installed 

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

That’s a pretty simple fix. Require that any WFH employee maintains a minimum level of bandwidth for their home internet connection. My wife and I both work primarily from home. We have a gigabit connection and rarely have issues unless there’s something fucky going on with AT&T’s network, but that can happen anywhere. When I worked from an office we had more network issues there than we experience at home.

LOL same.  I have fiber at home, rarely ever goes out during the day. 

At least 3-4 times a month, I get an email that our network at the office is out. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I'm listed as quoted here but that is not a post I made. 

Sorry, I was quoting from Hartzell's email that was in your post. My bad.

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Hartzel is so good at his job. 

Abbott to Hartzell: are you a branch of a 75 foot oak? Because you’re crushing it 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

It's pretty well documented that this is a myth.

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

I just wonder what's going to happen if Ted Cruz loses this year. Like what would be possible if that happened. 

I wouldn’t waste the brainpower wondering about that.

Using Abbott’s logic, he needs to be butts in seats (to be fair, his butt is always in a seat) in the governor’s office instead of going to photo ops at the border or out of state.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There are a lot of things to hate Abbott or Hartzell for but requiring faculty and staff to return to work on campus isn't one of them to me. Tough shit you won't be able to work from home anymore...

This is probably a difficult concept for you to wrap your head around, but certain people and certain jobs benefit from not having to commute.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

The rightwing nuts view WFH as a holdover from the pandemic which they don't believe was real. But WFH is it's own thing now, and people fucking love it.

I've been working from home since 2002.  It's not new, GQP is dumb. 

8 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Tuition hikes at public colleges are directly correlated with state funding cuts. In Texas, that ratio is actually < 100%; i.e. universities have increased tuition by less than funding losses.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fancy-dorms-arent-the-main-reason-tuition-is-skyrocketing/

15 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

There’s a surprising number of Surly posters who say they don’t care, but take the time to post anyway.

Our board activity would go down 50% if people who claim not to care about something just didn’t post about it 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Tuition hikes at public colleges are directly correlated with state funding cuts. In Texas, that ratio is actually < 100%; i.e. universities have increased tuition by less than funding losses.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/fancy-dorms-arent-the-main-reason-tuition-is-skyrocketing/

Don’t confuse cost and price