Why Can't I Quit You, Austin?

texasdago

On 5/24/2024 at 11:04 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Seems like it was closed for a while, wasn't it?  I haven't been in years.  Great spot.

It was open last summer.  I can confirm in person come June.  

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

In town for a week and to my surprise inflation didn’t fuck with my neighborhood shithole bar. Still has $3.25 LoneStar and $11 pitchers. 50 cents wings on Mondays and BOGO burgers on Wednesday. Rusty Cannon Pub

User name checks out

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2024 at 9:14 PM, Brisketexan said:

We live near Conan’s, and it’s a fave. As is Top Notch.
I dig our green belts, we live on one now. Hike it, hunt for fossils and arrowheads, listen to the water running.
The Little Longhorn has changed, but it’s still a damned fine beer joint.
The Asian food scene in this town has EXPLODED since we moved here 35 years ago, lots of great places now.
Taco trailers on N. Lamar. And my old school barber shop, Bob’s, is up there too.

There’s plenty to love in this town. Still…it ain’t paradise.

I feel like this is a perfect summary to relate to my kid before he goes to UT in the fall.  I'd only add that Austin "used to" always feel a little bit seedy.  It was a feature.  And there still are places that touch on that, but you have to look for them a bit harder.

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

I feel like this is a perfect summary to relate to my kid before he goes to UT in the fall.  I'd only add that Austin "used to" always feel a little bit seedy.  It was a feature.  And there still are places that touch on that, but you have to look for them a bit harder.

South Austin says hey

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

rundberg.jpg.653bf366ee34b025d4a659171ddbf320.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

We booked a downtown hotel last night for the 4th, and because GoFuckYourself is a man of the people, I walked over to a muy rico taco truck and stood in line with my Austin brethren, and sistren, after the fireworks display.

The earlier noise of the pyrotechnics was rivaled by the sounds of the street. In line, little kids giggled and played bottle flip, thrilled to be out of school, up late and reveling in the summer. A group of teens laughed and flirted and got embarrassed and laughed again. Three extremely hard-working, but always smiling, food truck owners slung pastor tacos to a long line of Austinites.

And even I, and another white boy, pitched in and helped hold down their canopy as the wind gusted and threatened to hurl it into traffic.

Maybe "Anywhere USA," adjusted for cuisine, after a 4th of July celebration but it happened to be here.

Viva Austin. Muy rico.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday morning... weather was actually really nice and we headed over to BSP to pretend we're at the beach.  Never gets old.  Quick drive over to Guero's for lunch on the front patio.  Hook it up to my veins.

3 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

How can you eat at gueros? Literally one of the worst restaurants in the whole city. 

We can disagree on that. 

Know how to order.  I've never, not once, ordered standard Tex-Mex fare on that menu.  Tacos or salads.  That's it.  Nothing else, ever.  Oh... but lots of beverages.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

We can disagree on that. 

Know how to order.  I've never, not once, ordered standard Tex-Mex fare on that menu.  Tacos or salads.  That's it.  Nothing else, ever.  Oh... but lots of beverages.

This.  Utterly mediocre tex-mex.  But pretty decent tacos al pastor.  That's my only order there.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Utterly mediocre tex-mex.  But pretty decent tacos al pastor.  That's my only order there.

Literally never had a single enchilada or any of the usual "covered with cheese" Tex-Mex stuff.  But for people watching, the patio on Guero's is the way to go.  Get yourself a margarita, load up on jalapenos from the salsa bar, enjoy some queso and a couple of tacos.  Then catch a show in the garden.  All good to me.

Just now, Bevo said:

I thought they only sold tacos. I've only been there for live music on Wednesdays though - and even then it is very rare because of work on Thursday.

In the Oak Garden, that is correct.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Quick trip out to Coupland Dance Hall on Saturday night to see Bob Schneider, was a great show as always.  Had late lunch at Louie Mueller's beforehand, 1 beef rib, $75, totally worth it.

Taylor/Coupland, why can't I quit you?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Never noticed 

Double Take Idk GIF by Laff

I'm working in the same shopping center now.

Feel like it's going to be a regular fixture for me during lunch.

"Hmmm... let's see... I brought my lunch today... but I'm sure there's SOMETHING I need from WF..."

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Didn't you and I first meet over al pastor tacos at Gueros? Or was is Maudes.. shit, I'm old.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just wanna say, the MILF talent at the Arbor Trails Whole Foods is strong to very strong. 

Not a milf, but Google Agatha Pottenger. She was a partially deaf chick that used to work there stocking shelves. I found her OnlyFans and Reddit and told the guys in the butcher shop about it.

She’s in Chicago now, so don’t expect to find her there, but the internet is forever.

https://www.instagram.com/agathaa_anne/

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure it was a lovely date wherever it was.

Don't be so fucking jealous. You had your shot many times at the Hole.. (Or one of many other random music joint where I was shit faced)

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ztejas said:

What is this - a fucking divorced dads hangout now?

Three nights of free music along Red River.  Went last year - some hits and misses but lots of good bands mixed in.  All free.

https://redriverculturaldistrict.org/hot-summer-nights/

Depends of what you like... mix of rock, dark wave, metal, rap, everything... Ben Buck is great... (son of Mike Buck), The Past Lives is amazing live, Don't Say Lemon has a great Joy Division/Manchester sound, Chancla Fight Club is good (plus wins the band name contest), Club Coma should be good... trying to come up with a list of bands to see Friday night with a friend... Ghost Wolves, Figure Factor, Glass Mansions, Subpar Snatch, etc

Obligatory...

Saturday Night Live': All of Stefon's clubs

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1