Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Royalfan5

Spent an hour trapped between 2 flash floods on the way home. Was less than 2 miles from home. One finally went down enough to drive back through. Wound up going 40 miles out of the way to get home.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RPM said:

Spent an hour trapped between 2 flash floods on the way home. Was less than 2 miles from home. One finally went down enough to drive back through. Wound up going 40 miles out of the way to get home.

Glad you did that.  A few years back, I was heading to a meeting in Hunt, up 1340 (driving there at night for a meeting the next morning).  Hellacious rain.  I started hitting periodic high water on39, just as I got past Ingram.  I was in my big F-150, so I wasn't worried about going through a few inches here and there, but I got to one stretch where I started going through...it started getting a bit deeper, and was running at a decent speed over the road....and I said NOPE.  And I knew that if it was bad here, there's no way I could make it down 1340, which has like 5 low-water crossings of the river.  Turned around and ALL the way up to Mountain Home, down 41, and then hit 1340 from the north end.  Finally made it to my meeting location, and people were anxiously waiting for me, because one of the Hunt school board members had already died that night on 1340 on the same route I would have taken.

Take that shit seriously.  It cost me an extra hour or so.  But I ain't dead, so, winning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, a guy died near our house a few years back after getting swept off a low water crossing into Bull Creek.  Years prior to that, a woman got sent down Bull Creek in her car, got stuck at the 2222 overpass, then got pushed over it, at which point she ignored 911 dispatch instructions and got out of her car.  She swam to the County Line.  Crappy BBQ, but not drowned.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

She swam to the County Line.

A fate worse than death. She will never make the mistake of attempting to cross high water ever again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2024 at 10:36 AM, jimmyjazz said:

"We're in it!  We're in the tornado!  What do I do?"

Not to diminish the power of a tornado, but oh, I don't know, maybe stop driving once you see shit flying horizontally across the road and back up?

I know it must've been terrifying but the first "HOLY SCHITT!" really got me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wait, wut?

- CNN - 

Rescuers were on Monday searching for six people – including British tech tycoon Mike Lynch – who went missing after a luxury yacht was hit by a tornado and sank off the coast of Sicily, killing one of the 22 people on board.

The vessel was hit by the tornado at around 5 a.m. Monday, according to a spokesperson for Italy’s Coast Guard. The yacht was anchored about a half a mile from the port of Porticello on the Mediterranean island.

Four Britons and two Americans are among those missing, the spokesperson said.

A source told CNN that Lynch, the founder of software giant Autonomy, was a passenger on the yacht. His wife, Angela Bacares, was rescued. The source spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity, as they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Fifteen others were rescued from the scene and one child was airlifted to the children’s hospital in Palermo. Eight people were hospitalized in total, according to the mayor’s office. One body was found on the hull of the yacht, the Coast Guard said.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/19/europe/tornado-sinks-luxury-sailing-yacht-sicily-intl/index.html

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

People in the UK don’t understand how they work

I mean, tornados are no laughing matter but I cracked up on the second video hearing some guy in the background saying, "Fucking hell!", in his most British of accents.