Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

Just now, Asithappens said:

No.

Why would you even think that? 

I mean really, this is just a very bad method of argument, imo, saying "oh, so b/c you think this about the dems then you must feel the same about all the similar stuff the GOP has done). 

Um, no. Look at the bills, the content, the purpose, who was presenting them, the party in power, what needs to be changed, who can change them, what needs/should be done to increase the odds of making those changes. 

I kind of blame the increase in law school graduates and the whole "thinking like a internet lawyer) thing. It leads to a lot of weak critical thinking. 

I don't want to see AOC marginalized b/c of her idealism and inexperience. She's in the House now. Time for her to get to work. 

And your evidence that she isn't working is that she is introducing bills, and generally doing her job while people notice her? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Perhaps, but your misogynistic views aren't too good, either.

So what if she is outspoken, doesn't know her role yet, etc. She's accountable to one congressional district in the entire country.  In two years, if that district does not like what they see in her, they can choose to replace her.

What I find amusing is people who fret and bitch and moan about a freshman representative and her methods who has (unless they live in her district) absolutely no standing over them.

This has nothing to do with gender. 

I hope she becomes a national leader, not just a leader for her district. 

That's all. I may be ineffective in making my point if you think this is based on sexism. 

9 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I do. AOC is the Freedom Caucus of the left. I agree with a lot of her ideals, but most of what she is going to do (I'm guessing) will be so far out of the main stream that it will go nowhere. Just bluster and stunts. Gets media coverage and lots of likes on twitter, red meat for the base. But hard way to get bills passed. 

Other than universal basic income, which I will give you, which of her main proposals are out of the mainstream?

When I look at public polling most of what she proposes has 60 to 90% public support. What seems more likely is that you are so far right that you have no clue what positions are popular with the general public.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

lol ppl are gonna love this.  wonder if anyone will mention that this is substantially lower than the top marginal tax rate during the great economic expansion that occurred during the 50s and 60s.

Considering the income tax under Eisenhower was 91% on all income over $400,000 for married couples, meh.  It isn't going to happen.  Shit, the top tax rate under Nixon was around 70%.

Funny, what the #MAGA crowd wants to return to (the 1950's!) had the highest tax rates for the wealthy.  

• Like 3

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Everyone obsessing over this woman who has been in Congress for one day should just do like Icono and admit they want to bone her. 

Actually, they'd probably rather be pegged by her like the cuck bitches they are.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

Other than universal basic income, which I will give you, which of her main proposals are out of the mainstream?

When I look at public polling most of what she proposes has 60 to 90% public support. What seems more likely is that you are so far right that you have no clue what positions are popular with the general public.

You may be correct. I haven't gone down in to the details to the extent of examining her views and the associated public support.

From her platform: 

Medicare for All (not a bad idea)

Housing as a Human Right (nice idea, how is it to be implemented? doubt it has 90% support)

A Peace Economy (who is against this? what does it mean?)

Federal Jobs Guarantee 

Abolish ICE

Solidarity with Puerto Rico

Higher Education for All

Support LGBT

Support Seniors

Build the Wall (Glass-Steagall)

So, many of those are good ideas. How to pay for them? 

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

You may be correct. I haven't gone down in to the details to the extent of examining her views and the associated public support.

From her platform: 

Medicare for All (not a bad idea)

Housing as a Human Right (nice idea, how is it to be implemented? doubt it has 90% support)

A Peace Economy (who is against this? what does it mean?)

Federal Jobs Guarantee 

Abolish ICE

Solidarity with Puerto Rico

Higher Education for All

Support LGBT

Support Seniors

Build the Wall (Glass-Steagall)

So, many of those are good ideas. How to pay for them? 

Mexico.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Universal income, banning fossil fuels by 2035, nationalizing health care,  70% marginal tax rate, shutting down ICE, canceling student debt, etc. 

I'm slightly left of center, but AOC is so far left of me I can't see her. I respect her. I like her. I just wouldn't bet any money on her getting anything done. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Universal income, banning fossil fuels by 2035, nationalizing health care,  70% marginal tax rate, shutting down ICE, canceling student debt, etc. 

I'm slightly left of center, but AOC is so far left of me I can't see her. I respect her. I like her. I just wouldn't bet any money on her getting anything done. 

None of that shit gets done in the political environment the Republican party has created, but talking about these issues changes the environment. 

17 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Everyone obsessing over this woman who has been in Congress for one day should just do like Icono and admit they want to bone her. 

Yeah, I would bet that a good chunk of those booing are doing so because they do want to bone her.  Or at least spend enough time around her to feel she wants to bone them because of their immense masculinity and charisma.  But they know they can't even appear to like her, much less spend time with her, or their support group would turn ugly on them.  So they boo her, just to make sure no one is in doubt about their feelings towards her. 

It's like a guy who is attracted to a girl, but then starts running her down in his mind, telling himself why she's not worth his time, because deep down he's scared of being rejected by her.   She has charisma, and with her looks that makes her hot and draws attention.  She stands for some things they feel they probably should be standing for, but can't for fear of losing support.  So she gets to them several ways, and makes them feel inadequate.  

Yes, she might not be doing everything right, but she's pushing against the right swinging pendulum, pushing hard left to stop the bleeding red and maybe get back some equality.   She will learn how to make things work eventually.  At least she is trying, and standing up to the assholes.

23 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

It is the freedom caucus strategy from the left. 

Which, for the record, isn't a bad strategy. 

You swing for the fences and eventually hit a double.

We're no longer in the world of measuring accomplishments by getting bills passed.

This is political warfare and AOC is a warrior, not an appeaser.    

The Freedom Caucus was able to pull the whole GOP and some Dems to the right.

No reason the same strategy can't work in the other direction.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

but talking about these issues changes the environment. 

Maybe. Maybe not. 

This ties into my point: At this point in her career AOC doesn't have the "gravitas" to change the environment merely by talking about things. She needs to earn that gravitas.

30 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

lol ppl are gonna love this.  wonder if anyone will mention that this is substantially lower than the top marginal tax rate during the great economic expansion that occurred during the 50s and 60s.

Most Americans couldn't tell you how marginal tax rates work nor do they have the slightest grasp of actual history. Most Americans are content to believe in myth and narrative. You know, bullshit.

Maybe. Maybe not. 

This ties into my point: At this point in her career AOC doesn't have the "gravitas" to change the environment merely by talking about things. She needs to earn that gravitas.

I don't know why you insist on continually being wrong on the internet. AOC has already had much more of an impact on the discussion than 99% of congressmen ever do in their lifetimes.

• Like 2

Just now, wildcat09 said:

I don't know why you insist on continually being wrong on the internet. AOC has already had much more of an impact on the discussion than 99% of congressmen ever do in their lifetimes.

Impact on the "discussion" doesn't really count for much at this stage. 

I'm not denying any impact on the "discussion", however short-lived it may turn out. 

None of my posts were directed at the "discussion". It is directed at achieving outcomes through passage of legislation.

It's like you're not even reading what I write.  

Maybe. Maybe not. 

This. This right here.

This is how you diminish a woman slyly. All without mentioning her tits or her fuckability.

(Can we stop with that by the way?)

She earned her “gravitas” by getting elected by her constituents. Period.

There’s no imaginary threshold for her to cross to appease the right.

Because I’m sure you’ll tell me you think Maxine Waters and Nancy Pelosi have that earned gravitas you’re looking for, right?
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I'm not denying any impact on the "discussion", however short-lived it may turn out. 

None of my posts were directed at the "discussion". It is directed at achieving outcomes through passage of legislation.

It's like you're concern trolling by establishing unrealistic expectations for what she should have accomplished literally one day into office.

You know the government is currently shut down over an idea some never-elected idiot started talking about two years ago?

Now tell me talking about it didn't make a difference. 

• Haha 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

It's like you're concern trolling by establishing unrealistic expectations for what she should have accomplished literally one day into office.

Wrong (again).

My point isn't that she hasn't accomplished something in her first day, it's that I'm worried she will marginalize herself and not be able to work within the system to achieve meaningful change. 

I'll stop responding here b/c it's pretty clear you don't care enough to actually have a discussion on the actual points being made. 

Good day, sir. 

1 minute ago, Asithappens said:

Wrong (again).

My point isn't that she hasn't accomplished something in her first day, it's that I'm worried she will marginalize herself and not be able to work within the system to achieve meaningful change. 

I'll stop responding here b/c it's pretty clear you don't care enough to actually have a discussion on the actual points being made. 

Good day, sir. 

hahaahaha who the fuck is this guy? 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

No, it's like not even agreeing with what you write.

You're wrong.

48 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

That was proven to be a failed approach.  We bounced and out of recessions during these high tax periods.  Even JFK realized that the tax rates were too high.

Wrong (again).

Good day, sir. 

This is pretty rich from someone who said this earlier:

"AOC presenting a bill (or whatever it is she did) for "green" energy and having it go down in flames doesn't bolster her political credentials. For her to actually accomplish something, and not just beat her chest with feel-good progressive platitudes, she's going to have to buckle down. Imo, that is. Some obviously feel otherwise."

"Or whatever she did." What she actually did was get Dem leadership to establish a select committee on climate change, which arguably would not have happened without her. Nothing "went down in flames." If you're not concern trolling, then why are you misrepresenting the facts?

• Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I don't agree with her on certain policy issues, but she's smart, doesn't take herself too seriously, and is a master troll.  I mean, she really has game in that regard.

It's almost like millenials were made to troll back on Twitter, because it's OUR platform.  Don't fight a land war in Asia and don't try to troll millenials on social media.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't agree with her on certain policy issues, but she's smart, doesn't take herself too seriously, and is a master troll.  I mean, she really has game in that regard.

It's like she is playing trump's diversion game.  Got everyone watching her dance and push the librul agenda while pelosi and the others build the gallows down at the square.   

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It is the freedom caucus strategy from the left. 

Which, for the record, isn't a bad strategy. 

You swing for the fences and eventually hit a double.

We're no longer in the world of measuring accomplishments by getting bills passed.

This is political warfare and AOC is a warrior, not an appeaser.    

The Freedom Caucus was able to pull the whole GOP and some Dems to the right.

No reason the same strategy can't work in the other direction.  

To add to this, it's very clear what the GOP defense strategy is against AOC, which is very similar to their tactics against Warren. 

They're not going to make the mistake of platforming her ideas by criticizing the substance of what she brings to the table. 

They will discredit her by calling her dumb, crazy, or goofy.  Make fun of her looks or her personal background story. 

Attack her anywhere possible but NEVER go after the ideas she's fighting for, because if they do that, her ideas might get actual traction. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

54 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

These two right here have a lot of support of everyday Americans whether you want to believe it or not. The others, maybe, it's absolutely a popular opinion that we need to significantly curb our fossil fuel consumption to combat climate change and that has the support of the majority of Americans as well.

32 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That was proven to be a failed approach.  We bounced and out of recessions during these high tax periods.  Even JFK realized that the tax rates were too high.

It certainly failed to yield the absurd wealth/income inequalities we witness today.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

These two right here have a lot of support of everyday Americans whether you want to believe it or not. The others, maybe, it's absolutely a popular opinion that we need to significantly curb our fossil fuel consumption to combat climate change and that has the support of the majority of Americans as well.

I think you are right to some extent.  But when Americans finally have the veil pulled back and are finally shown that so many of the small businesses they work for (S, sub-S, LLC, PC)...have flow-thru taxation...that 70% marginal rate is gonna make them drop to their knees and weep.  It's easy to tell a guy with an AGI of $1.0mm to pay 70% at top margin.  It's another thing when you find out your boss' Sub-S has a top line of $1.0mm and also has to kick in 70% at top margin. Where do such employed Democrats think that tax bill is going to come from?  He's not just going to zero out his books and tax bill and then get around to payroll.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez