2025 NFL Draft

Wulaw Horn

40 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Some of these mocks have an insane amount of recency bias.

Does Carolina take a QB and give up on Young? He's still on his rookie deal so trading him would be cheap cap-wise.

Cleveland isn't taking a QB - they can't get rid of Watson until after next year at the earliest unless they can get some sucker to take him in a trade.

And to make it Shadeur brings along potentially the worst helicopter parent in the history of the NFL.

To drop Quinn completely after a rocky start throwing (after a month recovering from an injury that affects throwing) is pretty dumb. A good game Saturday and he's right back up there.

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

To drop Quinn completely after a rocky start throwing (after a month recovering from an injury that affects throwing) is pretty dumb. A good game Saturday and he's right back up there.

It's also possible that being injured again contributed to that rather than his performance. The biggest question mark for Quinn is his inability to stay healthy. From that perspective it's reasonable to leave him out of first round mocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Cleveland isn't taking a QB - they can't get rid of Watson until after next year at the earliest unless they can get some sucker to take him in a trade.

Sure about that? They are stuck with Watson (or at least his salary), but if they land top 5 in the draft and there’s a QB they like (on a rookie contract), you think they’d pass? An OT, WR, DL isn’t going to fix their team and Watson. Trading out helps them less short term and sets them up to maybe be in a position to draft a QB next year. Why chance that if there’s a QB they like on the board in 2025?

I didn’t catch the edit time limit to add the recency bias on Watson: in 2024, he is passing at 61%, 5 TD, 3 INT, 31 sacks, 148 yards rushing as the team sits at 1-5.

In 3 seasons with Cleveland, he’s played 18 games, passed 60%, 19 TD, 12 INT, 68 sacks and the Browns went 9-8 in his starts. I would move on if I were the Browns. The pitchforks and torches are waiting. 

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Sure about that? They are stuck with Watson (or at least his salary), but if they land top 5 in the draft and there’s a QB they like (on a rookie contract), you think they’d pass? An OT, WR, DL isn’t going to fix their team and Watson. Trading out helps them less short term and sets them up to maybe be in a position to draft a QB next year. Why chance that if there’s a QB they like on the board in 2025?

I should clarify - they aren't taking a QB in the first round and almost certainly not with the first overall pick IMHO. I also don't think anyone will take a QB 1/1 this year unless it's Carolina.

Watson's contract is a great tanking mechanism since they are stuck with him for this year and next (barring injury). Trade away the older guys for draft picks and rebuild. Then launch Deshaun after 2025 and take the dead money hit. 

5 hours ago, The Dog said:

Some of these mocks have an insane amount of recency bias.

Does Carolina take a QB and give up on Young? He's still on his rookie deal so trading him would be cheap cap-wise.

And to make it Shadeur brings along potentially the worst helicopter parent in the history of the NFL.

I agree with the recency bias on QBs

I think Carolina views Young as sunk cost and wouldn't be surprised if they look to trade him away for whatever they can get. Cleveland might have to move on from Watson as the starter regardless of the contract, he's been playing historically bad

Shedeur has been playing better recently. I think the top six QBs can go in pretty much any order, so I'm not going to quibble with how they're ranked at this point in the draft 

3 hours ago, The Dog said:

I should clarify - they aren't taking a QB in the first round and almost certainly not with the first overall pick IMHO. I also don't think anyone will take a QB 1/1 this year unless it's Carolina.

I could any of Cleveland, Carolina, Las Vegas, Tennessee, and NYG taking one at 1.1, and I could see LAR and Miami taking one in the top ten as QBs to groom

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

I could any of Cleveland, Carolina, Las Vegas, Tennessee, and NYG taking one at 1.1, and I could see LAR and Miami taking one in the top ten as QBs to groom

I don't think there's any question the Cleveland front office wants to move on from Watson - it's that Haslam won't let them. So if they are picking first it would require Haslam's blessing to take a QB. 

Carolina makes perfect sense to move on from Young and he's still on his rookie deal and they are likely to be picking first overall. They're horrible.

As for the others - the only reason I don't think they take a QB at 1.1 is because none will be there and I doubt any of them trade up to the spot.

I don't think there's any question that someone like the Giants are taking a QB for example but why trade up to the top spot and pay a premium? Nobody wants to give up a king's ransom like Carolina and get burned.

Another team you didn't list that might make a play for a QB in the first round is the Steelers - both Fields and Wilson are gone after this year.

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I don't think there's any question the Cleveland front office wants to move on from Watson - it's that Haslam won't let them. So if they are picking first it would require Haslam's blessing to take a QB. 

I understand all of this, and I think Watson having the worst QB'ing season in decades will lead to Haslam blessing it