Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Germany's footprint in Africa was relatively small and of little consequence compared to other European powers.  If you want to go down a rabbit hole this weekend, the rapid collapse of their small colonial presence also leads to so many Germans heading for a then unknown annexed place called Texas.   

The Revolutions podcast on the 48ers is excellent and talks about this as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, the story of Blacks in Germany is an interesting one (and tragic).  A few hundred come back from the Wilhelm colonies at around the turn of the century as administrators and government workers.  Many have children with white Germans.  Things go pretty well for about 30+ years.  While not officially targeted under the Nuremberg laws, shit goes sideways pretty quick for them and their children.  Another untold tale of history of horrifying results. 

Germany's footprint in Africa was relatively small and of little consequence compared to other European powers.  If you want to go down a rabbit hole this weekend, the rapid collapse of their small colonial presence also leads to so many Germans heading for a then unknown annexed place called Texas.   

I guess what I don't understand is people bringing this kind of stuff up like it's somehow unusual. 

On a long enough timeline, this is normal human behavior. The amount of times societies with different races/cultures ended up with violence are too many to count. The amount of times societies with different cultures peaceably lived side by side into perpetuity without some serious assimilation, including interbreeding to the point distinctions were lost, are extremely rare. I'm not sure there is one. 

We're going to figure out ways to create us/them dynamics. That's what we do. It's an easy way to power for those who crave it. Find an "other" to point to, generate fear, envy, contemptuousness, what have you. There's always going to be an other. But things like race, language, religion are easy pickings. Especially race. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I guess what I don't understand is people bringing this kind of stuff up like it's somehow unusual. 

On a long enough timeline, this is normal human behavior. The amount of times societies with different races/cultures ended up with violence are too many to count. The amount of times societies with different cultures peaceably lived side by side into perpetuity without some serious assimilation, including interbreeding to the point distinctions were lost, are extremely rare. I'm not sure there is one. 

We're going to figure out ways to create us/them dynamics. That's what we do. It's an easy way to power for those who crave it. Find an "other" to point to, generate fear, envy, contemptuousness, what have you. There's always going to be an other. But things like race, language, religion are easy pickings. Especially race. 

Yeah, it's definitely our default.  I mentioned this is another thread, and I still can't find the book in my stacks.  I may have donated it.  But was a gripping anthropological study about there is little evidence to show tribes/bands fighting one another close by.  They posit that unless there was a raid on food or young girls (which I'm sure was frequent), they had little to gain by invading the next group over the valley/mountain/river.  Because the next group over very likely looked and sounded almost identical.  It wasn't until we got on the move (domesticated animals, ability to cure food and build better footwear to endure longer walking trips, boats/ships, etc.) that we started finding people that were very much different from us.  And that's when the hostility and violence really ramped up.  99% of us would have been a part of that system of suspicion and fighting.  But in this day and age, like you, I am just at a loss.  There's no reason to fight like that anymore, but it's more pervasive than ever---because as you point out, it's an easy path to power and although we've never had more access to information as we do now, we're not a lick wiser for it.

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, it's definitely our default.  I mentioned this is another thread, and I still can't find the book in my stacks.  I may have donated it.  But was a gripping anthropological study about there is little evidence to show tribes/bands fighting one another close by.  They posit that unless there was a raid on food or young girls (which I'm sure was frequent), they had little to gain by invading the next group over the valley/mountain/river.  Because the next group over very likely looked and sounded almost identical.  It wasn't until we got on the move (domesticated animals, ability to cure food and build better footwear to endure longer walking trips, boats/ships, etc.) that we started finding people that were very much different from us.  And that's when the hostility and violence really ramped up.  99% of us would have been a part of that system of suspicion and fighting.  But in this day and age, like you, I am just at a loss.  There's no reason to fight like that anymore, but it's more pervasive than ever---because as you point out, it's an easy path to power and although we've never had more access to information as we do now, we're not a lick wiser for it.

Agriculture, domestication of animals, permanent settlements, and the population that can support are requirements for high-intensity warfare and create things that are worth fighting over.  I wouldn’t look at encounters with diversity as the reason we invented war. 

On 6/19/2024 at 6:43 AM, Captainant said:

Mmmm yes I love having political commentary Twitter presented as unbiased news reporting. Very fair and balanced

If he posts a CR post report it and move on.

You just coming into the thread and shitting on the information being provided isn’t helpful. It’s lazy.

I would ask instead that you put in the effort and post your own twitter links or news stories. I think many would welcome some additional content to counter balance the current narrative that is being supplied in the thread.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 6/23/2024 at 6:23 AM, TKthunder2 said:

I would ask instead that you put in the effort and post your own twitter links or news stories. I think many would welcome some additional content to counter balance the current narrative that is being supplied in the thread.

Please dont invite Rachel Maddow into this thread

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cornell student Patrick Dai pleads guilty to online threats toward Jewish students
Jacob Mack
Ithaca Journal

Patrick Dai, the 21-year-old former junior at Cornell University, originally from Pittsford, New York, pleaded guilty Wednesday to posting threats to kill or injure another using interstate communications.

Dai’s threats, which targeted Jewish students, were posted on an online discussion site affiliated with Cornell.

The threats included plans to attack a kosher dining hall at Cornell and to murder and behead Jewish people and students. He made the threats under online monikers that included "hamas soldier" and “jewevil.”

Dai admitted to the threats in a seven-hour interview with the FBI earlier this year and in a court hearing Wednesday.

As part of his guilty plea, Dai admitted that, on Oct. 28 and 29, 2023, he posted threatening messages to the Cornell section of an online discussion forum, including posts that said “gonna shoot up 104 west” (a dining hall at Cornell University that caters predominantly to Kosher diets and is next to the Cornell Jewish Center, which houses many of the university’s Jewish students) and “gonna bomb jewish house.”

In another post, Dai threatened to “stab” and “slit the throat” of any Jewish man he saw on campus, to rape and throw off a cliff any Jewish women he saw, and to behead any Jewish babies.

In that same post, Dai threatened to “bring an assault rifle to campus and shoot all you pig Jews.”

“Patrick Dai used the internet to make horrific threats to kill and injure Jewish students attending Cornell University," said U.S. Attorney Carla Freedman for the Northern District of New York. "The federal felony conviction he sustains today underscores that those who break the law by making violent threats will be found and prosecuted, even if they attempt to hide by posting anonymously. His guilty plea today means he will be held accountable for his threats against members of his own Cornell University community.”

Dai was denied bail in 2023 by U.S. Magistrate Judge Thérèse Wiley Dancks, who cited the violent anti-Semitic threats he allegedly made and his apparent struggles with mental health issues. The judge noted that some past mass shooters have utilized online threats and communications before their crimes.

Dai has been using prescribed medication for severe depression and anxiety, though it had not helped him, according to his lawyers and his mother. Judge Dancks referenced Dai’s instability even with medication when deciding whether to release him before trial.
Sentencing

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for August 12 in Syracuse.

Dai faces a maximum term of 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000, and a term of supervised release of up to 3 years.

A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after considering the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2024 at 6:54 PM, mdmost said:

Congrats, you're a massive piece of shit. Someone defaced an Anne Frank statue in Amsterdam by writing "Gaza" on it in red paint. 

I don't have my glasses on.  It looks like "GWAR".

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Idiots and cowards. Can’t wait for your fan club to come by and be critical of the tweeter WHO POSTED A FUCKING VIDEO

It hasn’t stopped.  There’s a lot of clips I never posted.  Quite a bit going on lately in New York and Canada.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

It hasn’t stopped.  There’s a lot of clips I never posted.  Quite a bit going on lately in New York and Canada.  

Oh I know.  These fucking idiots are protesting the RNC. Talk about driving people to voting for the other side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Agreed - I can't believe these idiots are gonna get people heading the Republican National Convention to vote Republican!

Heading *to* the convention?  They’re not. What they’ve consistently done is show their asses to undecideds. I doubt people in the convention care. What they’re doing is visible to the watching world. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 8:28 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Agriculture, domestication of animals, permanent settlements, and the population that can support are requirements for high-intensity warfare and create things that are worth fighting over.  I wouldn’t look at encounters with diversity as the reason we invented war. 

Well, I sort of agree with you, SLX and YGIFS. 

As I, and many sociol anthropology and current days sociologists see it, it's sort of a combination of all of the above. In a off shoot but related topic, serial killer numbers shot up in the US after the completion of the interstate highway system. We're people serial killing before, most certainly. Was it JUST the interstate, nope, news coverage and cross jurisdictional engagement also occurred at the same time as an ability for serial killers to be far more mobile and heavier traffic cross state. All if that made it easier to "hide" or commit acts further from home.

So, were language and racial variations a reason for early man's "war" or violence on others tribes. Absolutely. I want to be careful here as I don't recollect the specifics, but iirc our "pre-current day human ancestors" might have proactively worked to irradicate earlier "verision" of humanity. I actually recall hearing a hypothesis that that might be where a part of "trolls" and other similar creatures originated from in our lore. (Don't hold me too accountable on the specifics, it's Sunday am and I'm on my 1st cup of coffee).

Now, given that, or move past agricultural during the industrial revolution, bigger cities in which racial divides/violence were FAR more prevalent, a bigger new cycle, the larger economical reach and ultimately a global economy... the increased violence makes sense in a very ironic way. When you couple all the factors the 3 of you mentioned and cross it with an ever growing large corporate oligarchy globally AND a news feed that is heavily incentived to report "scary" things of all sorts for clicks/viewers etc... well.

How do you controll a population as the power structure? How do you do it globally? 

Use the old tried and true, race, religion and other factors to distract from the real money factors underlying it. Make the plebes fight one another over whatever to keep them from looking up the chain at the real cause. At the same time use these fears to make them focus on one another to try and reduce one anothers freedoms for your own oligarchy aims. Easier to control.

A Renaissance Florentine Republic dude wrote about it long ago. 

If I sound like a conspiracy theorist... well, I guess I am. However, most here and elsewhere largely agree the silent majority in the US is the one never heard over the squeaky wheels of the extremes on either side. 

... that's part is NOT a conspiracy I came up with on my own.

Edited by BurntEyes

I have conservative friends who 1) are all pissed off by this (as they should be), but 2) say Jan 6 was a nothing.
The voices who bitch about this have no fucking credibility. These protesters are shitty people doing shitty things who should face the full weight of the justice system…but the people yelling for that are mostly hypocritical fuckheads who only want the law applied to the people they disagree with.
Fuck that shit. Put these people in cells next to the Jan 6 assholes. If you believe anything less than that, you’re the problem.
  • Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Put these people in cells next to the Jan 6 assholes. If you believe anything less than that, you’re the problem.

I'm just gonna chime in here and make it clear, I don't really give a shit if they are in cells next to one another or not. 

As long as they are all in a cell. To be clear, cell= jail cell (not terrorist/anti-american cell) and then hopefully prison cell for a short period. Not because I want to further overcrowd our prisons. I just want them to know what real oppression feels like for a bit and understand there are repercussions to your actions. Seems both concepts are fucking lost on too many here in the US.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 4

Graffiti, yelling obscenities and threats in an officer's face, creating tension, being fucking idiots.  Cost of the First Amendment I suppose.  

You start destroying physical property which belongs to the people of our country and start literally throwing cops to the ground and dragging their bodies around?  Sorry your message is lost and so is your freedom.  

All you did was bring shame to a just protest for a cause worth further examination by many Americans.  That's all you did today. 

If even one of those kids can accurately describe to me in 30 seconds or less what Sykes-Pico Act was/is, I'll post their bail.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

All you did was bring shame to a just protest for a cause worth further examination by many Americans.  That's all you did today. 

When was the last time this wasn't the case?  May?