Blastfurnace 2024

8 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Floating Martindale to Staples today. Kiddo’s first kayak trip. This is my fav stretch on the SM.

Bad ass, that's a beautiful stretch. I believe my last time to paddle that was with the Shaggy Flotilla. Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Even my Grandpa who was pretty anti-climate change for most of his life was ranting about how the data was obvious to any dumbfuck who actually cares to look at it. He was an engineer so data was his life.

Anyway, probably turning too CR for this thread.

• Hook 'Em 3

Completely disagree. As you said, the evidence points in only one direction. The planet is getting warmer and both qualitative and quantitative data prove it. Now if you want to talk about the role of the government in solving the problem, then sure, that can be a political discussion. But to argue that climate change is not happening is not politics, it is pure, uncut dumbassery. 

Coincidentally, we’re going to start stamping “pure, uncut dumbassery” on our coinage.
What’s happening shouldn’t be political…yet it is one of the most inflammatory political issues of our time.
So. Fucking. Dumb.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

People on Nextdoor like to say 'It gets hot in Texas!' because the heat warnings annoy them. Someday it will be 98 degrees in February and the same comments will be posted.

It's not because the heat warnings annoy them. It's because their masters on Fox News are telling them that this isn't abnormal and they shovel that dumbassery into their gullets because they can't think for themselves. They care more about keeping brown people and gays down than what the future climate looks like for this planet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Completely disagree. As you said, the evidence points in only one direction. The planet is getting warmer and both qualitative and quantitative data prove it. Now if you want to talk about the role of the government in solving the problem, then sure, that can be a political discussion. But to argue that climate change is not happening is not politics, it is pure, uncut dumbassery. 

Agreed. Unfortunately people are unable to see the difference so nobody wants to talk about it at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

Bad ass, that's a beautiful stretch. I believe my last time to paddle that was with the Shaggy Flotilla. Good times. 

We need to get the flotilla going again. Before the river dries up. Great float yesterday, and the kiddo is hooked. That heat was oppressive though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Okie State said:

Someday it will be 98 degrees in February

Someday? I've seen triple digits in January before. You say this like it would be something new.

Edited by Deej

On 5/25/2024 at 12:51 PM, immamac said:

My problem with the heat lately has been the nights staying hot. Heat during the day has always been a thing and yeah it's hotter but it's not so much hotter than it's ruinous to an otherwise already hot as fuck summer. 

What's with all this humidity in Austin though? That seems a bit strange that the dew point is significantly higher than even 3-5 years ago. 

The high humidity right now is partially due to the amount of water in the soil that is beginning to bake out as temperatures begin to rise with summer coming quickly.   

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The high humidity right now is partially due to the amount of water in the soil that is beginning to bake out as temperatures begin to rise with summer coming quickly.   

The dew point in Austin is higher than Houston. When I say humidity I mean the feeling outside not the actual relative humidity %age. 

Something weird is going on causing much higher than usual dew points. 

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

The dew point in Austin is higher than Houston. When I say humidity I mean the feeling outside not the actual relative humidity %age. 

Vape condensation.

talking butters stotch GIF by South Park

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

Fitlump's tears.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I've been hitting the gym. It's probably the collective female response picking up on my newfound musk.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, another historical global heat record!!!!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/record-high-temperatures-12-straight-months/

World hits 12 straight months of record-high temperatures — but as warming continues, it'll be "remembered as comparatively cold"

The world has now marked one full year of back-to-back monthly heat records, the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service announced on Wednesday. It said last month was the hottest May in recorded history — the 12th consecutive month in which the monthly high temperature record was broken.

It was also the 11th consecutive month where the global average temperature was at least 1.5 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial average. If that trend continues, it would mean the world is passing a major climate change milestone.

May's average temperature was 1.52 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial average, Copernicus reported, while the global average temperature from June 2023 to May 2024 was 1.63 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial average. 

The pre-industrial average refers to the period before there was a sharp increase in emissions of greenhouse gases, which trap heat from the sun within the Earth's atmosphere and warm the planet. Experts have long warned that keeping average global temperatures no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius above that mark is critical to reduce the risk of rampant damage caused by rising global temperatures. As the planet warms, the heat leads to more precipitation and melting sea ice, fueling extreme weather conditions that can result in shifting coastlines, agricultural issues, mass migration and harmful health consequences. 

Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said that the 12-month streak "is shocking but not surprising," and that while the streak will likely see an interruption at some point, "the overall signature of climate change remains." 

"There is no sign in sight of a change in such a trend," he said. "We are living in unprecedented times. ... This string of hottest months will be remembered as comparatively cold."

• Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Yay, another historical global heat record!!!!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/record-high-temperatures-12-straight-months/

World hits 12 straight months of record-high temperatures — but as warming continues, it'll be "remembered as comparatively cold"

The world has now marked one full year of back-to-back monthly heat records, the European Union's Copernicus Climate Change Service announced on Wednesday. It said last month was the hottest May in recorded history — the 12th consecutive month in which the monthly high temperature record was broken.

It was also the 11th consecutive month where the global average temperature was at least 1.5 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial average. If that trend continues, it would mean the world is passing a major climate change milestone.

May's average temperature was 1.52 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial average, Copernicus reported, while the global average temperature from June 2023 to May 2024 was 1.63 degrees Celsius above the pre-industrial average. 

The pre-industrial average refers to the period before there was a sharp increase in emissions of greenhouse gases, which trap heat from the sun within the Earth's atmosphere and warm the planet. Experts have long warned that keeping average global temperatures no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius above that mark is critical to reduce the risk of rampant damage caused by rising global temperatures. As the planet warms, the heat leads to more precipitation and melting sea ice, fueling extreme weather conditions that can result in shifting coastlines, agricultural issues, mass migration and harmful health consequences. 

Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, said that the 12-month streak "is shocking but not surprising," and that while the streak will likely see an interruption at some point, "the overall signature of climate change remains." 

"There is no sign in sight of a change in such a trend," he said. "We are living in unprecedented times. ... This string of hottest months will be remembered as comparatively cold."

The if's and histrionics/posts on this board read like the pundits in front of the '06-'09 housing bubble as thought nothing can ever change...it can only continue.    It doesn't happen until it does, and then it does.  Just like dynamic systems have always done.   

39 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

image.thumb.jpeg.bc44aefd069d57e2bd97d7892ac441cd.jpeg

A lot of mathematically inclined people decide to shit on their keyboard when it comes to dealing with the idea that shit doesn’t go straight up forever, or realize that we may also be in a period where it doesn’t matter a fuck.   There’s lots of ways we need to be better, but we don’t and can’t control everything. 

On 5/28/2024 at 12:36 PM, Trey3216 said:

Is that the sweat that originates in the boobs, or that gathers on Hairline Creek and runs down Forehead River

On 5/28/2024 at 1:02 PM, jimmyjazz said:

OK, that's just gross.

When it's this humid, boob sweat is indeed a thing, but I prefer not to talk about it and just shower when I finish a work out and that's all there is to it. I have been known to run through an irrigation geyser (those early morning runs where certain homeowners have not noticed they have a wonky sprinkler head spraying the sidewalk) to cool off but five minutes later it's just back to sweat. Ugh, Texas heat is no joke.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/13/weather/el-nino-la-nina-summer-forecast-climate/index.html

El nino is dead. La nina coming fast and that means drought and heat for texas. I was hoping el nino would last another month so we could keep getting this rain but it's not gonna happen. Had really enjoyed the El nino weather so far this year in dallas. Well fuck. 

We had La Nina last year and fuck all for storms thank goodness.  The heat and lack of rain was utter shit though.

I noticed today the high temperature was in line with recent days, maybe a degree or two higher but got damn it felt fucking miserable.

Just so some of you can feel more fortunate - friends with a house in Tarrytown had their AC break in the middle of last week and have been waiting for HVAC repair to get to them ever since. They called every reputable repair company but they all have a lengthy waiting list. The family (have 2 kids) stayed a couple nights in a hotel but the past several have been getting by with a bunch of fans they purchased. As of yesterday the report was the repair guy would be there today but since it's Friday, you know how that goes...

Service vendors of all kinds are slammed.  My wife's 4Runner just suddenly stopped accelerating.  I had it towed to a shop one of my closest friends works at -- 10 days to even look at it.  My buddy managed to sneak it in and we got it fixed within a few days, but most shops were similarly bogged down.

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

To celebrate the east coast and Great Lakes region will be receiving an exceptionally long and strong heat dome.

Good.  If it stays away from here I’m all for someone else getting roasted for a change.  Never thought I would say it, but any day between June 1 and September 30 under 100F feels like a win.  I’ll take as many as I can get

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

Just so some of you can feel more fortunate - friends with a house in Tarrytown had their AC break in the middle of last week and have been waiting for HVAC repair to get to them ever since. They called every reputable repair company but they all have a lengthy waiting list. The family (have 2 kids) stayed a couple nights in a hotel but the past several have been getting by with a bunch of fans they purchased. As of yesterday the report was the repair guy would be there today but since it's Friday, you know how that goes...

Ours died on the 4th of July last year and it took 10 days to get everything fixed. House got up to 92. Tell them to buy a portable unit on Amazon. At least it’ll cool a bedroom down enough to sleep in comfortably. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Service vendors of all kinds are slammed.  My wife's 4Runner just suddenly stopped accelerating.  I had it towed to a shop one of my closest friends works at -- 10 days to even look at it.  My buddy managed to sneak it in and we got it fixed within a few days, but most shops were similarly bogged down.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

What was wrong with it? As a fellow 4 runner owner I’m curious

Same

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

What was wrong with it? As a fellow 4 runner owner I’m curious

Dirty mass air flow sensor.  This is the second time the 4Runner has gone into "limp mode" to protect itself.  Beats serious damage to the motor, I'm sure.

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Ours died on the 4th of July last year and it took 10 days to get everything fixed. House got up to 92. Tell them to buy a portable unit on Amazon. At least it’ll cool a bedroom down enough to sleep in comfortably. 

Don't you have to dick around with some sort of window exhaust kit to use those things?

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

First day of summer is next Thursday. Rejoice. To celebrate the east coast and Great Lakes region will be receiving an exceptionally long and strong heat dome.

I always thought it was funny that the first day of summer was in late June. Who the fuck came up with that? 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

It blows the warm air out a window. Takes a few minutes to set up.

Ah, I thought it was more involved than that.  I had already decided those wouldn't work for us since our main room (living/kitchen/kitchenette) has no windows that open.  Picture windows + a couple of doors.

I guess they would work in a bedroom.