Blastfurnace 2024

Lloyd's CEO: “You’ll never find an insurer saying, ‘I don’t believe in climate change. [...] The frequency and severity of weather-related losses are exponential. The US had the highest number of convective thunderstorms in 10 years last year, and it’s already worse this year.”

image.thumb.png.a5987c043f3fb8680a1f75bdfc092ee7.png

https://on.ft.com/3VGapUK

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Zero degrees with a tornado. I'll take it, I guess. ee3f65934b4b7f2db127fbff5cf89f66.jpg

A freezenado?  That's pretty much the one fucking thing we DIDN'T get in the big freeze of February 2021.  Great, just great, you asshole....now we're gonna get that this coming winter.

On 6/15/2024 at 2:29 PM, drt said:

My grass has given up already. Last week it looked healthy. This week it looks like it could die tomorrow. 

was going to water on my day, Sunday.. but i held off due to the mid week prediction of rain.

i (and my lawn) have been burned before on that though.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My weeds are about to die out.  We need some damn rain.

yeah, those weed green zones that make my lawn look great in May every year are turning brown.

Today is the Summer Solstice. Longest day of the year.

Starting tomorrow, sunrises get later and sunsets get earlier. Just a few seconds off each end at first. Doesn't really pick up steam until you get closer to the Equinox in late September. At that point we start losing nearly a minute off each end every day.

5 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Starting tomorrow, sunrises get later and sunsets get earlier.

Actually, that's not true.  Tomorrow's sunset will be at 8:36 PM, whereas today's is 8:35 PM.  The website linked below doesn't parse it out below the minute, so I can't tell the absolute latest sunset or earliest sunrise. 

I do believe it's true that today will be the longest duration of sunlight, though.

Sunrise & sunset in Austin TX

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Today is the Summer Solstice. Longest day of the year.

Wait, is this when we are supposed to go out and have an orgy or something?  Whatever the Swedes are doing?

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think today officially started the "Fuck this shit" stretch.  On Sunday, it was 94 and a pretty nice breeze.  I spent most of the day outside and had no complaints.

Today it is 96 and still as can be.  It's fucking miserable.  I was soaked after 5 minutes out in this shit, and it's only going to get worse.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Which HS is this?

It’s not a real high school, it’s some Boomer bullshit probably.  Because that’s a great way to kill a kid or at a minimum end up with lawsuits that will cost you your job and any future coaching jobs.  I’ve seen plenty of people with heat problems and there’s nothing “woke” about it.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s not a real high school, it’s some Boomer bullshit probably.  Because that’s a great way to kill a kid or at a minimum end up with lawsuits that will cost you your job and any future coaching jobs.  I’ve seen plenty of people with heat problems and there’s nothing “woke” about it.

I'm surprised at your take. If it's a parody, it's extremely well written. I don't believe it's a parody or bullshit but it's just an opinion. Molly Knight (author, journo) posted it on bsky but gave no indication it's bs. Maybe she and I fell for a fake. However, on average, over the past 25 years, an average of 2 hs football players per year have died of heat stroke. And in Texas, as you probably know, they passed a law to prevent cities mandating water breaks for outdoor workers. The attitude of the coach is pervasive.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/how-extreme-heat-affects-young-athletes

At least 50 high school football players in the U.S. have died from heat stroke after falling ill on the field in the past 25 years. And high school athletes in other sports are not immune from the risks – female cross-country athletes are twice as likely to suffer from heat-related illnesses as athletes in any other high school sport.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Eh...maybe it was just a shitpost. I think the coach's name would be outed if it's real. If not today, certainly tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm surprised at your take. If it's a parody, it's extremely well written. I don't believe it's a parody or bullshit but it's just an opinion. Molly Knight (author, journo) posted it on bsky but gave no indication it's bs. Maybe she and I fell for a fake. However, on average, over the past 25 years, an average of 2 hs football players per year have died of heat stroke.

42 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Eh...maybe it was just a shitpost. I think the coach's name would be outed if it's real. If not today, certainly tomorrow.

If it was an actual coach and the school district starts fielding questions about why they are denying kids water, that coach is gone.

I don’t doubt that there are people who believe this, but any football coach doing drills in the summer in the South has seen the effects of poor water management, and if he ignores it, he’s playing with his job. Hell, he could be playing with a civil lawsuit.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If it was an actual coach and the school district starts fielding questions about why they are denying kids water, that coach is gone.

I don’t doubt that there are people who believe this, but any football coach doing drills in the summer in the South has seen the effects of poor water management, and if he ignores it, he’s playing with his job. Hell, he could be playing with a civil lawsuit.

My argument is diminished capacity - my sense of skepticism was temporarily over-ridden by Shloss-related giddiness. I believe it's a fake.

• Hook 'Em 1

Atlanta summer has been weird. Hot but humidity around 30% in the afternoon. We haven’t had rain and there’s none in sight, so my grass is unhappy, and a couple trees around the pool are dropping a lot of leaves, but it’s unusual to get out of the cool and feel the chill of the air drying you off. I’ll take it because I know the humidity will last until October once it arrives.

18 hours ago, Chopper said:

making the rounds on bluesky - I guess it was originally posted to fb.

image.thumb.png.8786225585aa6385f3a7c4b8e0dfbc12.png

What a fucking idiot.

The first time I heard of heat index was basic training. Once it got to 100 we went inside for classroom training, and that was 30 years ago.

These fucking regards call anything based on reality, "woke".

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1