Blastfurnace 2024

Have a 2 week vacation lined up for the second half of July to mexico city so I'm hoping the next 2 weeks aren't ridiculous. Looks like dfw has a temperature break coming in 4 days too. Hopefully it lasts until.the 17th when we fly out. My tolerance has changed i think. I'll take this past June every year moving forward. Yes last week kinda sucked at right around 98-100 but it didn't feel oppressive to me. 

It's when it's 100 at 11am and 108 by 3pm where you'll hear me start screaming. So far so good. Hopefully I'll just be upset in August. I can handle 1 month a year of bullshit temps. 

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I did a 10 mile hike with a full pack yesterday morning out at Lake Georgetown.  I started about 6:45am.  The sun was behind the clouds until about 10am and it was tolerable.  When the sun came out, I was not having fun.  The last mile was brutal and I'm glad I had a car with AC.

I drank a lot of beer on Canyon Lake yesterday. The last hour wasn't that brutal because I jumped out of the boat and just floated in the water with a Mexican wide brim hat on my head.

Sunburnt and a little drunk, I stopped off at a local restaurant for some catfish, fried okra and sliced tomatoes.

I then punished myself this morning working out for the fried food and beer consumed. But seriously, drinking on the lake and fried food will get you through the summer with a smile.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

spent a week in vancouver and on the washington coast and when we landed at midnight on friday and stepped outside it was like a gut punch of humidity and heat. fuck this.

Always the worst part of Summer trips to visit my wife's friends in Aspen. After a week spent in temps ~78/48 and dry, you land back in Houston and it's 97 and 100% humidity, an extremely unpleasant sensation that hits you the second you step into the jetway. Makes you start re-thinking your life choices on the drive back home from the airport.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Always the worst part of Summer trips to visit my wife's friends in Aspen. After a week spent in temps ~78/48 and dry, you land back in Houston and it's 97 and 100% humidity, an extremely unpleasant sensation that hits you the second you step into the jetway. Makes you start re-thinking your life choices on the drive back home from the airport.

You have a lot more money in the bank because you live in Texas. 

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

We drove back from Vail a few weeks ago, and although the temperature shift was gradual, the geography/culture shift was not.

We drove back on the back side of the Rockies through New Mexico and hit Amarillo from the west side.

Even in northern New Mexico heading east to the Texas border there were plateaus, hills, extinct volcanos, rolling high grass praries, and other lovely features.

As soon as we hit the Texas border it was a hell scape of desolate flat scrub and monoculture dotted with grain silos and Dollar Generals.

The drive got better a bit latter, but that is some bullshit up there.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

We drove back from Vail a few weeks ago, and although the temperature shift was gradual, the geography/culture shift was not.

We drove back on the back side of the Rockies through New Mexico and hit Amarillo from the west side.

Even in northern New Mexico heading east to the Texas border there were plateaus, hills, extinct volcanos, rolling high grass praries, and other lovely features.

As soon as we hit the Texas border it was a hell scape of desolate flat scrub and monoculture dotted with grain silos and Dollar Generals.

That’s why I always go through big bend on way back

On 6/26/2024 at 7:03 AM, BabaYaga said:

It's a carry over from the "Junction Boys" mentality.  The same "boys" got the absolute crap beat out of them that next season because they were so depleted.  Back in the day smaller, thinner kids could operate better in the heat.  Now that HS kids are the size of NFL players, not so much.  

Back in the day, smaller, thinner posters could operate better in the heat.

Just being honest, including myself. 

6 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

image.jpeg.6bde74d4933894004099623084017dd9.jpeg

• Haha 7