Blastfurnace 2024

On 7/1/2024 at 3:14 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I did a 10 mile hike with a full pack yesterday morning out at Lake Georgetown.  I started about 6:45am.  The sun was behind the clouds until about 10am and it was tolerable.  When the sun came out, I was not having fun.  The last mile was brutal and I'm glad I had a car with AC.

What do you put in a pack for a 10 mile hike?

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

What do you put in a pack for a 10 mile hike?

I was training so way more than necessary. About 30 pounds. I’ll be posting in the backpacking thread in hobbies soon. Heading to Lake Tahoe tomorrow morning for a week long backpack. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Gotta be good news in mid july when there has been 1 post in blastfurnace in the last 3 days and it's been about fucked up temps in Colorado. 

So far so good. This has been a decently hot summer so far but not blast furnace hot, at least with what it has been the past 2 summers. Even the 10 day is not awful and that takes us toward end of July. Then it's just worrying about August and maybe a week or 2 in Sept. One day at a time. 

I gave you a hook 'em, but I feel you just doomed us to hell.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I gave you a hook 'em, but I feel you just doomed us to hell.

The long term forecast allegedly looks pretty good.  A “back door” front (no aggy) is showing up on some models. Even if it doesn’t really cool anyone down, it increases the chances of rain. 

15 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

If you aren’t sitting in your underwear on your new sheets that are now yellow with sweat with nothing but a box fan blowing on you, no one in Htown wants to fucking hear it. If it wasn’t 85f in your bedroom Monday night because you hadnt cleared all the tree from your window to be able to open it, I don’t want to hear it. 

My bad - I didn't provide context.  I was born and raised in Houston.  The day in the blast furnace here in Oregon that I was posting about was 4f hotter than the all time record high in Houston.  It was 20f+ warmer here that particular day plus rain forest humidity.  It was the only summer day in 25 years that I would have traded for Houston weather.

14 hours ago, Hate said:

The long term forecast allegedly looks pretty good.  A “back door” front (no aggy) is showing up on some models. Even if it doesn’t really cool anyone down, it increases the chances of rain. 

Almanac says the average temp should by 96 today. 10 day looking solid with no 100's. And most importantly, lows are in the mid 70's in the morning. Last year it seemed it was in the low 80's every morning. 

image.png.c63719ee98896c55e7577683160f9837.png

Sure it's warm out, but its Texas in July. We're even ahead of average rainfall for the year. So far, no fucking complaints about this summer.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Seems like so far this summer we've avoided the big heat dome high pressure systems. Maybe Beryl helped that a little. Someone smarter than me can explain. 

La nina formation being pushed back to late summer, early fall has helped. Hopefully the neutral pattern we are in will hold until late Sept or early October. It's the best we can hope for. I also could be talking out of my ass. 

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

It would be interesting to see a comparison of this summer over the past 10-15 previous.  

We've got a lonnngg way to go but this has felt to be among the "nicest" 2-3 summers since '07.

2021 was ok, we didn’t hit 100 in Houston all year.  NYE was 97 though.  NYD was low of 18.

• Hook 'Em 1

Breckenridge was slammed this week. Crowds everywhere - gondola, hiking trails, bars etc. And roughly half of it felt like people from Texas escaping the heat. 

Headed there tomorrow to get the hell out of Houston for a week. If people would clear out of breck a bit it would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Leaving Salt Lake City today to return to Austin.  Temps were above 100 Tuesday through Saturday and probably today too. Very dry.

This place would go up in flames from one errant spark...from a positron collider perhaps.

image.png.3f55e37ea3c48ca87471f0101e5e6232.png

20240709_090654.jpg

20240709_090724.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

On 7/11/2024 at 10:22 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

It has been an annoyingly hot summer in Denver.

I have a former employer who has a 10 bedroom place in Aspen he bought about 25 years ago.  Two years ago he put in AC mini splits.  He said in 20 years, he never needed AC and then there were several heat waves in the mid high 90s that made him have to put AC in a home where AC was not anticipated or designed for

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

I have a former employer who has a 10 bedroom place in Aspen he bought about 25 years ago.  Two years ago he put in AC mini splits.  He said in 20 years, he never needed AC and then there were several heat waves in the mid high 90s that made him have to put AC in a home where AC was not anticipated or designed for

I'm in Littleton. Our house was built in '76. We put in an A/C unit when we bought it in 2021. Plenty of our neighbors have only small window units or evaporative coolers. They're slowly moving to install A/C because it's consistently getting hotter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Today is the first really shitty day in dfw. 103-105ish with heat indexes over 110. 96 or so by noon and low today was 81 for this morning. Looks like it's short lived though.  Tomorrow back down to 97 and then a cool front the rest of the week. 

Leaving Salt Lake City today to return to Austin.  Temps were above 100 Tuesday through Saturday and probably today too. Very dry.
This place would go up in flames from one errant spark...from a positron collider perhaps.
image.png.3f55e37ea3c48ca87471f0101e5e6232.png
20240709_090654.thumb.jpg.d9b51654908e98a7d4de61d903b2c484.jpg
20240709_090724.thumb.jpg.b4d641b873b8fcd5eba0d2c44c5c192a.jpg

Even the dirt is screaming…

Nice to see the more average summer temps across Texas, for y’all’s sake.   I still think this is the new outlier, and the last couple summers is the new normal.  But, insufficient data right now. 

New home builds in this Seattle area are now including hvac systems. I can tell that as recently as 20 years ago, they did not install a/c in homes here. Most that age now have a couple of window units sticking out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I lived in Dubai for 6 years. Fuck that place in the summer (year round after the first year.)

To make it worse, at night a fog would come in and seem like living in a sauna. Visibility would be a couple of hundred yards. Moved the kids sleep schedule to day time so they could go out and play at night.

It was fun to sit in an air conditioned bar and watch the UK and German tourists bake on the beach in July. Fun times.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Apparently it's monsoon season in Houston the rest of July starting this weekend. Forecast 50-60% rain chances and highs below 90 every day from 7/19-29.

Raining The Shawshank Redemption GIF

Fine with me! Best news I've heard all week. 

All my friends with pools are still dealing with debris cleanup, fence repairs and whatnot, so it's not like I have a pool to use for a few weeks. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Raining The Shawshank Redemption GIF

Fine with me! Best news I've heard all week. 

All my friends with pools are still dealing with debris cleanup, fence repairs and whatnot, so it's not like I have a pool to use for a few weeks. 

My pool is a lovely shade of green after not having the pumps running for 8 days. Pool guy has his work cut out for him tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

All the pool guys in the Houston area are going to be busier than normal over the next few weeks, cleaning dirty pools and banging neglected housewives.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

All the pool guys in the Houston area are going to be busier than normal over the next few weeks, cleaning dirty pools and banging neglected housewives.

And all the swim coaches in Kingwood with no summer classes will be competing for those housewives.

On 5/6/2024 at 2:47 PM, bolverk said:

The average among the four is 65 days, and we're going to hold you to it. Pitchforks if you're wrong, and to be clear, I fucking hope you're right.

Not gonna spike the football yet, but the odds are looking pretty heavily in my favor right now. 

Was quite nice to take the dogs on a walk this morning and not get back home drenched in sweat. Current forecast through the end of July is basically the exact opposite of last Summer.

At this point in July 2023, we were already a few weeks into the seemingly never-ending stretch of brutal heat and drought at this point last year and didn't finally catch a break until the middle of September. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Was quite nice to take the dogs on a walk this morning and not get back home drenched in sweat. Current forecast through the end of July is basically the exact opposite of last Summer.

At this point in July 2023, we were already a few weeks into the seemingly never-ending stretch of brutal heat and drought at this point last year and didn't finally catch a break until the middle of September. 

They’ve already started moving our rain chances in Austin from Sunday towards Monday, so I’m not counting our chickens just yet.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

They’ve already started moving our rain chances in Austin from Sunday towards Monday, so I’m not counting our chickens just yet.

It's not weeks straight of triple digits and zero chance of rain. It's an improvement.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Looking at historical daily temps for dfw flower mound, it seems the absolute hottest days of the year are the first few days in August. Then average highs and lows start to decrease. The average highs/lows on August 1st are 98/77 and by the end of the month are 93/72. This is on the weather underground almanac. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It seemed like there were weeks on end  in summer's previous where the temp never dropped below 80 even at night.  Weather underground has the bergstrom temp at 78 f'n degrees at noon in late July. 

jack-faps.gif.5889bb85f26c1c14667f9d056af0c5dc.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

It seemed like there were weeks on end  in summer's previous where the temp never dropped below 80 even at night.  Weather underground has the bergstrom temp at 78 f'n degrees at noon in late July. 

jack-faps.gif.5889bb85f26c1c14667f9d056af0c5dc.gif

Yup and there were some days last summer when we would hit 100 by noon.

I know y'all are usually three to five degrees hotter in Austin than over here in the Houston area, but one week forecast here shows highs of 94-96.  After the last two years, I'm f'ing ecstatic.  This past week was great, a couple of days we barely got into the 80's with plenty (almost too much) rain.  No complaints.