Blastfurnace 2024

I think a lot of you are forgetting how bad it was last year. Austin had WEEKS of ~115 feels like days and/or 105+ temps.

The highest feels like I've seen so far this summer has been 108.

Yeah it's hot but it's very normal August hot. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think a lot of you are forgetting how bad it was last year. Austin had WEEKS of ~115 feels like days and/or 105+ temps.

This is true. BUT I think it’s the same ptsd we all have during winter now. Just knowing how bad shit can get, we automatically go into defense mode. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

August and September in Texas are the worst . . . we're all ready for summer to end and the heat ball just keeps fucking that chicken. 

October is the best.   

Really gotta caveat that as mid to late October is the best.  SOMETIMES October can be the best and sometimes sweat is still dripping from my balls in the Cotton Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Really gotta caveat that as mid to late October is the best.  SOMETIMES October can be the best and sometimes sweat is still dripping from my balls in the Cotton Bowl.

Yep. Have sweated out a gallon of beer at ACL Fest the first weekend of October plenty of times.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Bingo.  It sucks right now, but since it's only been like this for a week instead of two months it's not rage inducing (yet).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

It's at the point where a pool is just bath water now. Need some Barton Springs action.

Yep.  Going out to the lake this weekend and the pool is not even an option.  It's a hot tub.  Lake Austin still gonna feel good though.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

It's at the point where a pool is just bath water now. Need some Barton Springs action.

Yep. I hopped in the pool this past Sunday evening for the first time in about 3 weeks. It was 91 degrees and not the least bit refreshing. First time all Summer that it's been like that.

Caught some pop-up showers the last 3 afternoons here in Houston, but it looks like that well has run dry. Nothing better than a 20% chance any day in the 15-day forecast. Every day is basically 99/80 and sunny.  Likely have at least 30 more hot, sweaty days to slog through before any hopes of even a moderate cool down.

8/1 through about 9/15 is easily my least favorite part of the year weather-wise.

Edited by Storm the Field

Each August that passes down here has me more and more convinced I can't spend Summers for the rest of my life on the Gulf Coast. It obviously still gets hot pretty much anywhere in the country, but most places are hitting the part of the year where it starts getting pretty nice in the mornings and evenings. 

Shit, it's not like you have to go that far. Even in the Old South, the weather starts to drastically improve by this point of the Summer. Check the weather in Atlanta, Charleston, Nashville...etc.. right now. Highs in the low 90's, lows in the high 60's.

Wife and I have definitely started talking more and more seriously about eventually (~10 years or so) selling our house in Houston and downsizing to a condo and then buying a place somewhere much more tolerable. Spend part of the year living and working here, but GTFO for pretty much all of June-September. 

6 minutes ago, Okie State said:

August is the worst month and it's not even close. I dread it every year.

Well yeah the "hottest day of the year" on average is August 9th for Central Texas so at least the average high is starting to go down now.

Edited by SimonBolivar

It's also maddening as shit that we'll almost certainly have some rogue front blow threw about August 27th and dump rain somewhere and drive all the fucking dove to South Texas, but then immediately be 104 and wet ground humid on Sept 1.  

On 6/25/2024 at 6:16 PM, Chopper said:

making the rounds on bluesky - I guess it was originally posted to fb.

image.thumb.png.8786225585aa6385f3a7c4b8e0dfbc12.png

Shirley this is a joke and not real.  Nevermind, I just remembered every dumbass high school football coach I've ever met.  These are the guys we choose to overpay while we let real teachers struggle to make ends meet.  SMDH

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's also maddening as shit that we'll almost certainly have some rogue front blow threw about August 27th and dump rain somewhere and drive all the fucking dove to South Texas, but then immediately be 104 and wet ground humid on Sept 1.  

Yes, that's what I thought also...

On 8/15/2024 at 11:23 AM, Storm the Field said:

Each August that passes down here has me more and more convinced I can't spend Summers for the rest of my life on the Gulf Coast. It obviously still gets hot pretty much anywhere in the country, but most places are hitting the part of the year where it starts getting pretty nice in the mornings and evenings. 

Shit, it's not like you have to go that far. Even in the Old South, the weather starts to drastically improve by this point of the Summer. Check the weather in Atlanta, Charleston, Nashville...etc.. right now. Highs in the low 90's, lows in the high 60's.

Wife and I have definitely started talking more and more seriously about eventually (~10 years or so) selling our house in Houston and downsizing to a condo and then buying a place somewhere much more tolerable. Spend part of the year living and working here, but GTFO for pretty much all of June-September. 

True story. I travel to Birmingham for work sometimes. It was pretty hot this week but next week is all highs in the upper 80s and gets down into the upper 60s at night. They actually have a low projected at 61 one day next week. Totally different world than most of Texas.

On 8/15/2024 at 11:01 AM, Storm the Field said:

Caught some pop-up showers the last 3 afternoons here in Houston, but it looks like that well has run dry. Nothing better than a 20% chance any day in the 15-day forecast. Every day is basically 99/80 and sunny.  Likely have at least 30 more hot, sweaty days to slog through before any hopes of even a moderate cool down.

Got a completely unexpected half hour of light showers around 6:30 yesterday evening in my neck of town. Just enough to soak the ground. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

Long-term forecast has improved the past 48 hours. Highs start to drop back down closer to average towards the latter half of next week. Gotta make it through the gauntlet of the next 4 days though. Pretty good chance that Monday and Tuesday will end up being the hottest 48 hour stretch of the entire Summer. 101 in Houston. 105 in Austin. 

Sidenote: Today will be the last day of the year with a sunset of 8 pm or later in the Houston area.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2024 at 2:33 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Shirley this is a joke and not real.  Nevermind, I just remembered every dumbass high school football coach I've ever met.  These are the guys we choose to overpay while we let real teachers struggle to make ends meet.  SMDH

A healthy, well-conditioned athlete can safely train in the heat so long as their coaches are trained to recognize the beginnings of heat stroke.

But withholding water is incredibly dangerous.  Not just for heatstroke but concussions.  A dehydrated brain has less cushion inside it.

The whole, “water is for pansies” thing is an archaic vestige of a time when coaches were all old Boomer aholes.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

True story. I travel to Birmingham for work sometimes. It was pretty hot this week but next week is all highs in the upper 80s and gets down into the upper 60s at night. They actually have a low projected at 61 one day next week. Totally different world than most of Texas.

On my list of potential retirement spots.

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

You’re considering retiring to Birmingham? Please enlighten me with what it has to offer. My impression is that it’s a hellhole. 

It's quiet and cheap. Plus there's a low tier football team to follow. 

Oh and not hot as Satan's taint in the summer.