Blastfurnace 2024

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Give Me Five GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Went by there this afternoon and the water was clear/blue, and the pumps were running.   Really tempted to walk down tonight and take a dip, but I’ll end up In the hospital trying to scale the fence.

There was a group of us willing to do the city lifeguard training and staff it in the evenings, but the city said no.

6134v9GbdnL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Had to run an errand earlier at the absolute hottest part of this entire stretch. The 90 seconds I spent walking across the parking lot felt like walking through the Sonoran Desert.

Fortunately, it looks like we're past the worst of it here in Houston. Have already dropped down back to 96, and supposed to stay below 98 tomorrow and 95 or less this weekend. 

CenTex gotta suffer through 1 more scorcher tomorrow.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Forgetting to turn my upstairs AC down until I go to bed is the suck. Going to be a good hour until it’s comfortable enough to get some good sack time. 

Upstairs bedroom? Thoughts and prayers. Our previous house had that and I told myself never again.

• Rage+1 1

Lotta pussies here.

We drove down to the Domain to meet friends for Happy Hour at 4pm this afternoon.

It was pretty warm walking the two blocks to the restaurant, but we never broke a sweat. 
Leaving at 5:15, the temp was 108, but when we got into the car inside the shade of the parking garage it was only 106.

IMG_6109.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

I usually go to Sonic a couple of times a month to buy some bags of their ice.  I went today and they said they don't have any to sale.  It happens every now and then.  Most of the time the ice machine needs repair. I told them no prob I'll check back next week. They said check back in a month. The "cold water" coming out of the tap/ground is too hot and it's taking longer thank usual for their machine to freeze it into ice.

32 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I usually go to Sonic a couple of times a month to buy some bags of their ice.  I went today and they said they don't have any to sale.  It happens every now and then.  Most of the time the ice machine needs repair. I told them no prob I'll check back next week. They said check back in a month. The "cold water" coming out of the tap/ground is too hot and it's taking longer thank usual for their machine to freeze it into ice.

Yep. My tap water is in the 80s

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep. My tap water is in the 80s

I don’t have to turn on the hot water to take a shower these days. The “cold” tap is refreshing just by itself.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t have to turn on the hot water to take a shower these days. The “cold” tap is refreshing just by itself.

Yep. My water heater crapped out a few weeks ago and I realized it wasn’t even needed. Eventually got it replaced due to having a wife
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I wouldn’t say I trust them but being 8 degrees off when you’re forecasting 9fucking6 should face some consequences.

Was supposed to be 102 where I live. Wunderground said 103. My thermometer said 108. Mine is usually pretty accurate, but did not do a check with a different system. I will today if they are that off. 

I also wonder if they take into account other factors. Concrete and shit like that at the ground level.

It was hot. I even took a break and came inside at 2.

14 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Fortunately, it looks like we're past the worst of it here in Houston. Have already dropped down back to 96, and supposed to stay below 98 tomorrow and 95 or less this weekend. 

CenTex gotta suffer through 1 more scorcher tomorrow.

Right on schedule. 

Widespread cloud cover will prevent us from getting any higher than 95 today in Houston. Same tomorrow and may even catch some afternoon showers.

ATX/SA/SM gonna continue roasting in the sun today.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Drool 1

An older single guy, in our neighborhood, always takes walks for exercise right at dusk. He isn't real social, but has a few friends that he hangs out with occasionally. He went out walking on Monday evening. A buddy went to check on him on Wednesday, as the guy is starting to have a bit of dementia, and no one had seen him since then. He wasn't there, or any of the other times that the friend went by, so they put out a missing persons report last night. They searched all night with dogs and spotlights, we even went with the Ranger for lighting, since we can light up half of Hood county. No luck in finding him.

This morning they found him dead on Hole #1 of the golf course. All of that area was checked last night. Apparently he had been wandering since Monday where no one could see him, and died of dehydration, and heat exhaustion sometime in the early morning hours today.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just had to spend 20 minutes outside in direct sun doing unplanned somewhat physical labor (pool equipment emergency) and I feel like shit now. It’s brutal out there. No reason to be out in this shit.  

Today was the first day that kicked my ass. I go out about 8 and am building a few gardens every morning, all summer, etc. Today am out and about noon it kicked my ass. Came in, chugged electrolytes like a mad man, and still felt off. Ended up taking a nap for 2 hours and now all I want is fruit.

Be careful out there.

38 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

An older single guy, in our neighborhood, always takes walks for exercise right at dusk. He isn't real social, but has a few friends that he hangs out with occasionally. He went out walking on Monday evening. A buddy went to check on him on Wednesday, as the guy is starting to have a bit of dementia, and no one had seen him since then. He wasn't there, or any of the other times that the friend went by, so they put out a missing persons report last night. They searched all night with dogs and spotlights, we even went with the Ranger for lighting, since we can light up half of Hood county. No luck in finding him.

This morning they found him dead on Hole #1 of the golf course. All of that area was checked last night. Apparently he had been wandering since Monday where no one could see him, and died of dehydration, and heat exhaustion sometime in the early morning hours today.

CHIEF

terrible story.   he and my business partner played bridge together.  I believe his wife passed a few months ago.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Right on schedule. 

Widespread cloud cover will prevent us from getting any higher than 95 today in Houston. Same tomorrow and may even catch some afternoon showers.

ATX/SA/SM gonna continue roasting in the sun today.

We hit 101 in The Woodlands today according to my car thermometer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Today was the first day that kicked my ass. I go out about 8 and am building a few gardens every morning, all summer, etc. Today am out and about noon it kicked my ass. Came in, chugged electrolytes like a mad man, and still felt off. Ended up taking a nap for 2 hours and now all I want is fruit.

Be careful out there.

You know it’s bad when our resident lizard has issues. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Man, thought about this. Walked over to check on my neighbors. Dude is in his late 70's and always out tending his garden. Was sitting on the front porch drinking iced tea. Talking about all the shit he has to get done this weekend. I think I convinced him to call for help or let it slide and I can come over Monday.

That really sucks for the dude in your neighborhood.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

SW Austin power outage

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — Austin Energy is asking some residents to conserve power Friday afternoon after an outage impacted thousands of residents Thursday night. 

At approximately 8:20 p.m. Thursday, crews responded to an outage after a transformer went offline in southwest Austin, which affected at least 6,400 customers in the area. 

An hour later, roughly 4,000 users had their power back on, while about 2,000 were still left in the dark. 

Around 2 a.m. Friday morning, those still without power were "switched to other circuits" as "a temporary solution."

Austin Energy is still trying to find a permanent fix as crews continue to address the issue. The company said it's testing the current transformer in an attempt to return service Friday, but that could take at least a day. 

During this time, a temporary transformer is in use, and some customers could lose power. 

Austin Energy said the outage is a local concern and is not impacted by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, ERCOT. 

The company plans to host a press conference at 10 a.m. Friday at Austin City Hall to update residents on a potential outage. 

Southwest Austinites asked to conserve power Friday

Southwest Austin residents are being asked to use limited energy between 2 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday afternoon. 

Austin Energy said customers should increase their thermostats slightly and avoid using vents in rooms that are not in use. Window units in unused rooms should also be turned off. 

Customers should also close blinds facing the sun, unplug all devices not being used, and they should also avoid using their ovens during the peak heat of the day. 

Other outages this week

This isn't the first time Central Texans have lost power this week. 

On Wednesday, nearly 15,000 East Austinites experienced outages as Austin tied itself for the ninth-hottest day on record at 109 degrees. 

The same night, Austin ISD's Central Office also lost power, and the building remained closed Thursday after a backup generator failed. The office will stay closed Friday following the outage. 

Like Thursday's outage, Wednesday's outage in East Austin was also caused by local infrastructure. Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said that the outage "was related to high energy usage causing substation equipment to trip offline." 

Temperatures are set to trend downwards this weekend, but it's uncertain whether these outages will continue. 

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

• Rage+1 1