Blastfurnace 2024

the arabs might be on to something with the protecting the skin thing.  soccer practice this monday and wednesday 5:30 to 8 and yesterday had a softball game at 6:30 and was none the worse for the wear.  cowboys cap, LS fishing shirt, shorts. keep the sun off the skin, stay hydrated, and it's not so bad. 

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Why? I laugh when I go visit clients and everyone is wearing jackets and Meredith at the Front Desk is wearing a sweater. Meanwhile when they walk to their cars they melt in those 50 feet.

My building is so cold that leaving to lunch in 100-degree weather feels amazing. Of course it's only a minute walk.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My building is so cold that leaving to lunch in 100-degree weather feels amazing. Of course it's only a minute walk.

Yep, used to freeze my ass off in our office in Dubai. Would go out with the smokers on their smoke breaks to thaw.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

the arabs might be on to something with the protecting the skin thing.  soccer practice this monday and wednesday 5:30 to 8 and yesterday had a softball game at 6:30 and was none the worse for the wear.  cowboys cap, LS fishing shirt, shorts. keep the sun off the skin, stay hydrated, and it's not so bad. 

I started noticing last Summer, much more so than in the past, that guys working construction on roads and large building projects now go for nearly 100% coverage. Long sleeve shirts, neck gaiters, large sunglasses, helmet shrouds....etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Yeah, they sure do. Dumbass americans in the Middle East and SW Asia wearing polyester golf shirts. Europeans in suits in August. Both trying to keep regular work hours. Arabs kicking it in the evening smoking shisha had it going on. Those were great meetings.

When I am working outside I wear unbuttoned long sleeve linen shirts. They get all fucked up but they are cheap. Hydration is key. Real cold liquid is not the best. Try luke warm green tea.

36 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I started noticing last Summer, much more so than in the past, that guys working construction on roads and large building projects now go for nearly 100% coverage. Long sleeve shirts, neck gaiters, large sunglasses, helmet shrouds....etc.

Check out what a farmer/worker is wearing in Latin America. Wide brim hats, cotton long sleeve, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

When I am working outside I wear unbuttoned long sleeve linen shirts. They get all fucked up but they are cheap. Hydration is key. Real cold liquid is not the best. Try luke warm green tea.

i love everything about linen except the laundering.  if you're unbuttoned doesn't your front side get sunburned?

Just now, gsoda3 said:

i love everything about linen except the laundering.  if you're unbuttoned doesn't your front side get sunburned?

It is buttoned. Sleeves down, not buttoned. Army does the same when real hot.

Get tan and call it a work shirt and fuck ironing.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

I have landscaping guys that I have used for new builds to put in flowerbeds and sod, and I have used them at my home for almost a decade. If they came in and robbed me, I couldn't pick out a single one in a police lineup. They are covered from head to toe.

CHIEF

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

It is buttoned. Sleeves down, not buttoned. Army does the same when real hot.

Get tan and call it a work shirt and fuck ironing.

unfortunately that's what my wife said.  

• Haha 3

Just now, gsoda3 said:

unfortunately that's what my wife said.  

I do the ironing, which is fair since I am the one that wears suits when needed.

Wife loves it, thinks the ironing board is a place to lay out clothes to decide what she wants to wear. I don't fight it, lost that battle before it every started.

Undefeated.

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I do the ironing, which is fair since I am the one that wears suits when needed.

Wife loves it, thinks the ironing board is a place to lay out clothes to decide what she wants to wear. I don't fight it, lost that battle before it every started.

Undefeated.

i feel your pain. i called her out on the ironing thing once.  it didn't go well for me.  now i fight a more passive aggressive battle.  she folds the still wrinkled shirts and hides them in the middle of the pile for me to put away.  i take them back out and hang them by the ironing board.  they basically stay there until i need to wear it and then i iron it.  right now i have one shirt i wore to cancun hanging there, waiting for an iron.  i'm being stubborn about this one.  we last went to cancun in july 2022. 

• Haha 1

I used to do DCI drum corps in the summers.  We'd rehearse 8 hours a day outside, regardless of where we were in the continental 48.  Most of the time it was hot as balls, and most of us wore little more than boxer shorts.

One dude had a weird sun sensitivity, and so he would wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, a long-sleeved cotton button down, and khakis.  We started to realize he wasn't sweating nearly as much as the rest of us.  We all started covering up more, and it made a difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I used to do DCI drum corps in the summers.  We'd rehearse 8 hours a day outside, regardless of where we were in the continental 48.  Most of the time it was hot as balls, and most of us wore little more than boxer shorts.

One dude had a weird sun sensitivity, and so he would wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, a long-sleeved cotton button down, and khakis.  We started to realize he wasn't sweating nearly as much as the rest of us.  We all started covering up more, and it made a difference.

this just brought back a memory i haven't thought of in a while.

i was a sophomore living in jester east when 9/11 happened.  a few weeks passed and life went more or less back to normal.  our IM football team was practicing one saturday on the IM field closest to the shack with a smattering of other groups around the complex.  we gradually noticed a growing group of people speed walking toward the shack where we were which is weird because the parking lot's in the other direction.  we looked over to where they were coming from and at the parking lot gate there were a handful of figures dressed in middle eastern robes and scarves.  we never found out who they were (prob a student group), we got outta there with everyone else. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Undefeated.

Do you lay her out on the board when you decide you want to wear her?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Suckers ^^

Only 95 with a feels like of 105 in Houston. 

On a side note, looking forward to getting outside on Sunday morning and taking the dogs for a long walk. If it weren't for the humidity, you could almost describe these conditions as "pleasant."

Sunday.jpg.8728f5e0f28ade5b5bd1c321f420d25d.jpg

It really hasn't been bad today. Down to 97 with a 106 feels like. 

Hopefully we're getting out of the woods but I'm guessing mother nature's got a few tricks up he sleeve still. 

Baked in the sun moving the kid into his dorm in Austin Thursday evening and this morning.  When we left Austin, it was 103F (about 3:30 pm).  By the time we were about an hour northeast of Austin, the outside temperature was 87F.  Going to get into the 70s tonight in Tyler and not much higher than low/mid 90s this week and going forward.  Stoked!

• Hook 'Em 1

Crazy how just a little bit of improvement can feel so much better. Currently 96, but with pretty low humidity, and the feels like is "only" 100. Compared to the 110+ heat indices of this past week, it's downright tolerable outside today. 

Decent rain chances starting tomorrow through Labor Day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, but I am seeing the rain heading south of Austin start to dissapate and I will blame you.... You and your forcefield. DAMMITTTTT

I was born with too many midichlorians.