Blastfurnace 2024

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Im at my kid’s track practice and it’s 87, nice breeze and normal to lower than normal humidity. Where’s my pullover?

Damn, how do you have the patience to attend a track practice?  I always waited at a nearby bar.

Kid’s soccer practice was canceled because of a few rain drops today. Practice would have been pleasant today.  However last week, when it’s 107+, practice was still held. Just ridiculous.  

• Rage+1 1

Just now, swraith said:

Kid’s soccer practice was canceled because of a few rain drops today. Practice would have been pleasant today.  However last week, when it’s 107+, practice was still held. Just ridiculous.  

It's easier to fake an injury when it's 107.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I prefer to not go to jail.

You don't HAVE to drink.  Get some wings or something.

Not that I care, but I found my kids' track practices beyond boring.  Spring 100 m, wait 20 minutes.  Do a couple of long jumps, wait 30 minutes.  Try to train handoffs on the 4x100 and fail.  Gah.

Sorry your kids did not receive good training. We’re part of a legit group of young athletes where there’s no fucking around.  Corch is serious bidness. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Maybe there's hot moms at the track practice. 

And this.  There are a few university hotties in the group as well.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Sorry your kids did not receive good training.

True, but 5X All-District nonetheless.  White dude.  Not very big.  Chip off the old block, except for the fact that I'm slow as shit.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

True, but 5X All-District nonetheless.  White dude.  Not very big.  Chip off the old block, except for the fact that I'm slow as shit.

We have two of Atascocita’s national record relay team members in our group.  Corch has trained a shit ton of D-I track athletes. My kid is not going D-I but it’s still great to give her exposure to other kids with the kind of drive they have and practice is certainly not boring.

But anyway, weather was quite pleasant this evening  

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We have two of Atascocita’s national record relay team members in our group.  Corch has trained a shit ton of D-I track athletes. My kid is not going D-I but it’s still great to give her exposure to other kids with the kind of drive they have and practice is certainly not boring.

That's fantastic.  No doubt that level of coaching is paramount.  My son didn't get it.  His coach was a moron.  Putting a kid in triple jump without any training is laughable (and he still medaled at district, by basically copying other better jumpers and online videos).  His other events were more "natural" (100/200/4x100/LJ).

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/are-triple-digits-done-for-the-year-in-austin/

It’s a tad too early to lock in a guarantee that triple digits are over for 2024, but the odds seem to be tilted in our favor.

Our long-term computer models keep highs in the 90s in Austin through the second week of September. In addition, while we do see the eventual redevelopment of high pressure to our west early next month, it doesn’t get nearly as strong as it was last week. Our ongoing wet pattern should add more moisture to the soil to help keep any brief spikes in heat to a minimum.

Typically we only see three triple-digit days a year in September, and most of those come during the first half of the month. Meanwhile, we’re losing ~1.5 minutes of daylight per day, the sun is getting lower in the sky, and our typical hottest time of the year gets farther in the rearview mirror.

Perhaps our best chance for triple digits to return would be if we were to see a late-day cold front approach from the north, providing compressional heating to boost temperatures prior to its arrival higher than we currently expect. That, or a down-sloping wind from the west that would also give temperatures a higher maximum than we currently are forecasting for the next two weeks.

So far we’re not seeing those two scenarios in the near term.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/are-triple-digits-done-for-the-year-in-austin/

It’s a tad too early to lock in a guarantee that triple digits are over for 2024, but the odds seem to be tilted in our favor.

Our long-term computer models keep highs in the 90s in Austin through the second week of September. In addition, while we do see the eventual redevelopment of high pressure to our west early next month, it doesn’t get nearly as strong as it was last week. Our ongoing wet pattern should add more moisture to the soil to help keep any brief spikes in heat to a minimum.

Typically we only see three triple-digit days a year in September, and most of those come during the first half of the month. Meanwhile, we’re losing ~1.5 minutes of daylight per day, the sun is getting lower in the sky, and our typical hottest time of the year gets farther in the rearview mirror.

Perhaps our best chance for triple digits to return would be if we were to see a late-day cold front approach from the north, providing compressional heating to boost temperatures prior to its arrival higher than we currently expect. That, or a down-sloping wind from the west that would also give temperatures a higher maximum than we currently are forecasting for the next two weeks.

So far we’re not seeing those two scenarios in the near term.

So you're saying we can go ahead and lock this thread? Hot weather won't bother us until June 2025! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Do not go spiking the ball yet boys. We still have September and most of October to contend with and that high is still liable to come back with no lube.

I will say it is amazing outside right now. 

On 8/27/2024 at 8:05 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

It Is Over Republican National Convention GIF by Election 2016

Doesn’t even matter what happens from here. Can’t remember a better summer weather wise in Austin. 

This thread title is wrong and should feel bad. 

Funny thing is that it was the 7th hottest summer in Austin recorded history.  We are forgetting that it used to be much nicer.  Check out the 2020s... it is 2024.  Got a few more summers to go to dethrone the 2010s.  More enjoyable content here - https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/austin-is-hitting-100-degrees-more-frequently-heres-when-its-most-common/

image.png.2ce5b7a031c1c505047fd18c049e36db.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Funny thing is that it was the 7th hottest summer in Austin recorded history.  

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Calling bullshit. We've only had 10 days breaking 100. 

Yeah that doesn't add up. 

Source google AI, can’t fund any specific rankings other than last year was the worst 

As of August 27, 2024, Austin, Texas had 30 days over 100°F, which is more than the average of 29 days, but fewer than the 80 days in 2023. The first 100°F day of 2024 was on June 27, which was a week earlier than normal, and as of August 19, 2024, Austin had had 25 triple-digit days

8 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah that doesn't add up. 

It doesn't.  I'll dig deeper but here is an article from July:

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/texas-summer-2024-cooler-heat-dome-records-temperatures/

But yes, the data does show that this is less hot than where we were last year at this time and in 2022 at this time. And I think most people remember what awful summers those were.

But right now, the data is indicating that if you look at just June 1 through July 15, our temperatures have been averaging about 2 to 3 degrees above normal, which is still significant. I mean, that’s still hot. But last year at this time, we were running about 3 to 4 degrees above normal – so at least one more degree above normal than where we are at the current time.

Also, a lot of people use the number of triple digit days as a barometer of how hot it has been. And right now, so far this year, Austin has recorded 14 100-degree days up through the middle of July. Last year, at this time, we’d had 25 of those.

Also keep in mind nights are getting warmer...

A recent New York Times analysis of nighttime low temperatures in America’s fastest growing cities, found that the number of abnormally hot nights in Austin has increased by 137% since the late 1900s. Austin now experiences 60 nights a year, on average, when the temperature never drops below 76 degrees.

https://www.kut.org/austin/2024-08-19/hot-triple-digit-heat-temperature-austin-texas-summer

With the higher nightly lows, I wouldn't be surprised to see this year finish in the top 10 warmest years as measured by average temperature. It was a fairly warm spring if I recall correctly. 

44 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Source google AI, can’t fund any specific rankings other than last year was the worst 

As of August 27, 2024, Austin, Texas had 30 days over 100°F, which is more than the average of 29 days, but fewer than the 80 days in 2023. The first 100°F day of 2024 was on June 27, which was a week earlier than normal, and as of August 19, 2024, Austin had had 25 triple-digit days

39 minutes ago, texasdago said:

It doesn't.  I'll dig deeper but here is an article from July:

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/texas-summer-2024-cooler-heat-dome-records-temperatures/

But yes, the data does show that this is less hot than where we were last year at this time and in 2022 at this time. And I think most people remember what awful summers those were.

But right now, the data is indicating that if you look at just June 1 through July 15, our temperatures have been averaging about 2 to 3 degrees above normal, which is still significant. I mean, that’s still hot. But last year at this time, we were running about 3 to 4 degrees above normal – so at least one more degree above normal than where we are at the current time.

Also, a lot of people use the number of triple digit days as a barometer of how hot it has been. And right now, so far this year, Austin has recorded 14 100-degree days up through the middle of July. Last year, at this time, we’d had 25 of those.

I don't think either of those numbers are correct - if they are it seems like stretching the data. 

Weather underground only has 6 days all year over 100 at ABIA. Zero until August. Including 99 degree days gets you to 14 in total. Including 98 degree days gets you to 21. https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/us/tx/austin/KAUS/date/2024-7

So - maybe if you're taking the hottest data available you can pump those numbers up - but you're going to be including a ton of days where it barely cracked 100. Versus last year where it was fuckin 105+ for 30 days or whatever ridiculous numbers we wound up with. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't think either of those numbers are correct - if they are it seems like stretching the data. 

Weather underground only has 6 days all year over 100 at ABIA. Zero until August. Including 99 degree days gets you to 14 in total. Including 98 degree days gets you to 21. https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/us/tx/austin/KAUS/date/2024-7

So - maybe if you're taking the hottest data available you can pump those numbers up - but you're going to be including a ton of days where it barely cracked 100. Versus last year where it was fuckin 105+ for 30 days or whatever ridiculous numbers we wound up with. 

Pretty sure the official numbers come from Bergstrom.  ABIA is more rural and always has lower numbers.

Yup... found it... https://www.kut.org/energy-environment/2023-08-22/camp-mabry-austin-airport-weather-station-temperatures

"People have been recording the temperature at Camp Mabry since the late 1800s. Record-keeping started later at the airport."

Edited by texasdago

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Funny thing is that it was the 7th hottest summer in Austin recorded history.  We are forgetting that it used to be much nicer.  Check out the 2020s... it is 2024.  Got a few more summers to go to dethrone the 2010s.  More enjoyable content here - https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/austin-is-hitting-100-degrees-more-frequently-heres-when-its-most-common/

image.png.2ce5b7a031c1c505047fd18c049e36db.png

Further proof that the 70s were the best decade. Makes me want to have a dance party. Less swamp ass and more tight ass shorts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1