Blastfurnace 2024

57 minutes ago, dimyh said:

Further proof that the 70s were the best decade. Makes me want to have a dance party. Less swamp ass and more tight ass shorts.

1) That vid makes me so happy.

2) MIA beat me to the other thing I was gonna say.

• Haha 2

Yeah it didn't hit 100 14 times before Mid July. It maybe hit it once or twice tops. 

I'm no climate change denier, but inflating numbers to help your argument is not the right way to go in this day and age. 

24 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah it didn't hit 100 14 times before Mid July. It maybe hit it once or twice tops. 

I'm no climate change denier, but inflating numbers to help your argument is not the right way to go in this day and age. 

We had a 9 day streak by mid-July.

Again, y'all are only looking at highs... highs don't tell the whole story but, whatever y'all... keep arguing nuance

This Is Fine GIF

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/2024-could-be-worlds-hottest-year-june-breaks-records-2024-07-08/ 

• Haha 1

Felt like fall this morning in Brazoria. In the low mid 70s, cloudy, and windy. Got a lot of work done on the kids treehouse. 

No 90s in the 10 day forecast. Upper 60s for the lows next weekend. Blast furnace is done. 

• Like 1

Forecasts are pretty well locked in agreement with a moderate cool front pushing south late this week, ushering in much drier air. Dew points expected to drop into the 50's and morning temps on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday will likely touch mid 60's and daytime highs shouldn't make it out of the 80's. 

Quite rare to get a front this early in September. On average, usually doesn't arrive until ~9/20. Sometimes comes as late as 10/15. A front arriving prior to 9/10 only happens about 10% of the time or less.

Edited by Storm the Field

Summers in Phoenix are notoriously hot. But after two punishing summers of record-breaking heat, the latest milestone, set Tuesday, may be the most ominous yet.

At 11 a.m. local time, temperatures in Phoenix hit 100 degrees for the 100th day in a row. The longest previous 100-degree streak was 76 days in 1993. In other words, this year has seen an uninterrupted stretch of 100-degrees days at least 3½ weeks longer than in any other year since records began in 1896.

About 48 more hours of clouds, scattered showers and humidity and then skies should clear as much drier air starts rolling through Saturday afternoon with the arrival of the first Fall Teaser Front. Saturday night through Monday morning will be the nicest stretch of this short-lived treat. Muggier conditions return on Tuesday.

Pretty much everywhere in the State will see some cooler temps this weekend, but it will be more pronounced away from the coast. Houston likely to only drop to high 60's, while Austin and Dallas should hit low 60's.

Edited by Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

About 48 more hours of clouds, scattered showers and humidity and then skies should clear as much drier air starts rolling through Saturday afternoon with the arrival of the first Fall Teaser Front. Saturday night through Monday morning will be the nicest stretch of this short-lived treat. Muggier conditions return on Tuesday.

Pretty much everywhere in the State will see some cooler temps this weekend, but it will be more pronounced away from the coast. Houston likely to only drop to high 60's, while Austin and Dallas should hit low 60's.

Headed out to Haskell County to drink birds and shoot beer, errrr, drink shoots and bird beer....  Saturday night low of 56 is gonna be absolutely glorious.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Headed out to Haskell County to drink birds and shoot beer, errrr, drink shoots and bird beer....  Saturday night low of 56 is gonna be absolutely glorious.  

Very similar plans. Heading up to my lease south of Rayburn. Low of 58 early Sunday morning. Sitting out by the firepit on Saturday is gonna be heaven.

15 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

For both, may the weather remain calm, the beer cold, and may doves shit on your head.

I'll have my 3 and 2 year old with me.  So while there'll be beers a plenty, and plenty cold, I'll probably keep it pretty light.  And since I'll have them with me, I'd venture to guess I don't even shoot a full box over 3 hunts.  

So long as they have fun and we have a good visit with the 50-75 family members that will be out there....that's all that matters.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

So should we go ahead and pull a Venezuela and declare October 1st to be the start of Christmas?

Because that feels like Christmas.

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

What a wonderful weekend. Played soccer yesterday morning in the 60's and this morning almost felt like I needed a jacket. Blastfurnace is over right? ..... right? 

.... le sigh. 

image.png.00927bd7c2914c69e7f28de8af2baac8.png

Go to the River friday and saturday. I am kayaking down to Palmetto.

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

What a wonderful weekend. Played soccer yesterday morning in the 60's and this morning almost felt like I needed a jacket. Blastfurnace is over right? ..... right? 

.... le sigh. 

image.png.00927bd7c2914c69e7f28de8af2baac8.png

I mean mid 90s is fucking great compared to last year. This summer was like a French hooker. Just so smooth and treated you right for the most part, other than few cigarette burns here or there...or so I've been told.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

I mean mid 90s is fucking great compared to last year. This summer was like a French hooker. Just so smooth and treated you right for the most part, other than few cigarette burns here or there...or so I've been told.

That's true. We were still consistently over 100 this time last year. This weekend felt like the hooker came back into the room, stuck her hand down your pants, and then her phone rang so she left. 

Welp, that cool down was pretty nice for the 60 or so hours that it lasted. Right back to mid-Summer this coming weekend. Mid 90's Friday through Sunday. Luckily the pool has ticked down a few degrees following the cool front and rain last week and is somewhat refreshing again vs. feeling like bath water. 

Being that it's still technically Summer until the 22nd, I don't HATE the 91/75 forecast for basically every day next week. Would like to see some more rain though.

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Welp, that cool down was pretty nice for the 60 or so hours that it lasted. Right back to mid-Summer this coming weekend. Mid 90's Friday through Sunday. Luckily the pool has ticked down a few degrees following the cool front and rain last week and is somewhat refreshing again vs. feeling like bath water. 

Being that it's still technically Summer until the 22nd, I don't HATE the 91/75 forecast for basically every day next week. Would like to see some more rain though.

Was talking to my wife about the "timing of the arrival of tolerable weather" in September.  I've been dove hunting and attending UT football games for decades.  I am well-tuned in to 1) how shitty hot September can be, and 2) when the weather tips towards becoming tolerable.  When I got to Austin pushing 40 years ago, I'd tell you that you should circle September 20th on your calendar as the date most likely to start the run of relatively pleasant temps.  Over that 40 year period, that date has become more like September 25th-26th.  The front this weekend (and I dove hunted in those temps, it was amazing) was a welcome outlier.  But, we see the return to the norm in the forecast.

Our hot weather starts sooner than it used to.  It goes longer than it used to.  And while it's hot, it's hotter than it used to be.  That's just the way it be.

The dip in temperature was a little too much in the mornings the last couple of days. The afternoons were perfect though.

I'm cool with mid 90's temperature for now. Anything under 100 is appreciated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 7:54 PM, jimmyjazz said:

You don't HAVE to drink.  Get some wings or something.

Not that I care, but I found my kids' track practices beyond boring.  Spring 100 m, wait 20 minutes.  Do a couple of long jumps, wait 30 minutes.  Try to train handoffs on the 4x100 and fail.  Gah.

The only thing more boring than track is field.