Let’s talk about how fucked up Louisiana is

Pancho

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

The first commandment always confused me a bit, even as a kid. It reads like a tacit admission that there are other gods, which checks out given that the Old Testament god was always petty, jealous, and angry. It kind of reminds me of a certain orange someone, which might explain why Evangelicals who favor the fire and brimstone god of the OT so much, worship Trump.

I'm far from a scholar on the topic but I gather that basically each group of people living at that time had their own god(s). Walk three hills over and they have a different religion and gods. Somehow the god of Israel became the popular one and the other faiths died out or were assimilated. 

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm far from a scholar on the topic but I gather that basically each group of people living at that time had their own god(s). Walk three hills over and they have a different religion and gods. Somehow the god of Israel became the popular one and the other faiths died out or were assimilated. 

Well, there are rules.  And, as a result, there tend to be a lot of people claiming to be a god.  

6154e0b5-642f-434d-ac5a-93bf4f5b558c_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Isn’t this how Oklahoma ended up with a statue of satan on their state capitol ?

In Michigan it was a nativity scene that led to a snaketivity scene and then that was replaced by a goat. I am "proud" to say that the sponsor of the nativity scene was my State Senator, and prior to that he was the sheriff in the county in which I reside. He loved being bible thumping, but IMO he also loved the publicity of getting to defend having a religious symbol on public state owned property which led to the other non-Christian icons being allowed. 

spoilered to keep this from long-cat - but here are pictures/drawings of said items)

Spoiler

image.png.dbee3473b5093c57206dec35c1060a37.png

image.png.fc98c9c14c82d21412fee1a4cb5f3391.png

• Drool 1

14 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This thread cracks me up.  Like Texas can talk shit about any other state when it comes to fuckeduppedness. 

Of course it can, when states (especially Confederate ones) manage to stay fucked up in unique and interesting ways.

I wouldn't think of it as a single scale of fuckeduppedness with clear winners and losers, but more like a buffet of many fuckedup yet distinct choices, a buffet with fat green flies buzzing from Mississippi to Florida and back over Bama to whatever part of Ohio is squabbling in a parking lot with West Virginia. A buffet pawed at by sticky kids and sprayed with sneezes by Aunt Rubella. A buffet inside a Golden Corral that was built on a nature preserve seized by eminent domain. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Oh, man one of the authors of the bill on the 10 commands in the classroom is on CNN right now and she looks like she just stepped out of the Zeta house. She’s saying the 10 commands is a “historical document” because “in God we trust is on the dollar bill and Moses is in the Supreme Court.”

Lauren Ventrella

image.jpeg.9428f96e08e105a66eefef5270629fe2.jpeg

Boris: What would you do if someone who doesn’t believe in Christitanity doesn’t want to read that in the classroom?

Lauren: Then don’t look at it.

Boris:

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Rage+1 1

Boris: What advice would you give to a teacher who is approached by a kindergartner who asks what adultery is?

Lauren: The teacher should tell them this is a historical document. 

Boris:

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Boris: What advice would you give to a teacher who is approached by a kindergartner who asks what adultery is?

Show me the original “document.”

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Boris:

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

I’ve seen so many people contend that the “Ten Commandments is a historical document,” and yet they can’t even for the life of them tell you what they are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Walk three hills over and they have a different religion and gods. Somehow the god of Israel became the popular one and the other faiths died out or were assimilated. 

Thank god you've god some gods, because we had these crap gods.  Jeff, the God of Biscuits.

• Haha 2

Someone should ask the lawmakers which of the two versions of the 10 commandments is the one that needs to be in schools? I guarantee they will have no idea what they're being asked. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Oh, man one of the authors of the bill on the 10 commands in the classroom is on CNN right now and she looks like she just stepped out of the Zeta house. She’s saying the 10 commands is a “historical document” because “in God we trust is on the dollar bill and Moses is in the Supreme Court.”

Yes, lots of people can learn things from "historical documents."

1d9c7e25-319f-4fe7-b9ca-812fe3642d94_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

I’ve seen so many people contend that the “Ten Commandments is a historical document,” and yet they can’t even for the life of them tell you what they are. 

Most people, when challenged on what the ten commandments are:

1. Do not kill!

2. Do not steal!

.... uh ....

3. Oh yeah, no coveting!

.... uh ... well there are some others but America was founded on this stuff....

26 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

1. Do not kill!

2. Do not steal!

.... uh ....

3. Oh yeah, no coveting!

.... uh ... well there are some others but America was founded on this stuff....

Those probably would be the only three they could name…and they would still be wrong

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

1. Do not kill!

2. Do not steal!

.... uh ....

3. Oh yeah, no coveting!

About that last one, the full text of Exodus 20:17 says, “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female slave, ox, donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Deuteronomy 5:21 states, “Neither shall you covet your neighbor’s wife. Neither shall you desire your neighbor’s house, or field, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

If they want to be biblically accurate then they should include the part about not coveting your neighbor’s slaves.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1

Right as Gov. Landry signs his 10 Commandments law, a child behind him faints (video) (msn.com)

It was at this point in his Ten Commandment law-signing speech that a girl right behind him fainted and fell. But as others shuffled around to help her, the governor stuck to his holy guns in delivering his message. "If you want to respect the rule of law, you've got to start from the original lawgiver, which was Moses," he said, before whipping out his pen and signing the bill.

Amusingly, a woman sitting next to Landry questioned his remarks, being that Moses actually received his laws from God, and was thus not the "original lawgiver." Not wanting to ruin his glorious moment, the governor gov-splained what he meant. "That's right, he got his commandments from God," he told her, as if that is what he meant all along.

10/10, no notes

• Haha 1

And if Texas would have been first, the first Lone Star State school to post the 10 Commandments---with the 'Thou Shall Not Kill' one in bold?  You guessed it, Robb Elementary School in Uvalde.  

Way to go Dan! 

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Could be rough on the useful idiots, since nothing in Hebrew Scriptures was written until King Solomon built the Temple and hired scribes.  

Their original documents are campfire stories. 

Edited by TeeDubya

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Louisiana is just Texas 2 years from now.

It's like an all seeing crystal shot glass.

I actually have no problem with the 10 commandments being displayed on someplace like the capital grounds or other "law" type of government building since they do form part of the western legal tradition how ever tenuous.

Classrooms, gtfo.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I actually have no problem with the 10 commandments being displayed on someplace like the capital grounds or other "law" type of government building since they do form part of the western legal tradition how ever tenuous.

No. We don't typically display some sort of homage to the Twelve Tables or the Code of Justinian, and assholes will continue to use the legal precedent to cram their brand of worship any place they can. Ceremonial deism can fuck right off.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Could be rough on the useful idiots, since nothing in Hebrew Scriptures was written until King Solomon built the Temple and hired scribes.  

Their original documents are campfire stories. 

Check your Bible. The original document was written on stone tablets by the hand of God himself. Those were placed in the Ark of the Covenant. Find it and show me. Otherwise I say it’s all bullshit. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Louisiana is just Texas 2 years from now.

Yep, especially with the dismantling of public schools part. One thing that struck me when I first lived in Louisiana to work in my early 20s was how so many of my coworkers went to private schools from elementary through their high school years. Growing up in Texas, I always associated private school with rich kids, because, for the most, the private schools I was aware growing up in DFW were of the 20 to 30k a year variety. But after working their for a number of years it was clear that most of those private schools were just there for segregation purposes and the fact that Louisiana didn't fund their public schools for shit. A lot of the Louisiana private schools were nominal in their tuition cost and functioned as little more than day care centers.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yep, especially with the dismantling of public schools part. One thing that struck me when I first lived in Louisiana to work in my early 20s was how so many of my coworkers went to private schools from elementary through their high school years. Growing up in Texas, I always associated private school with rich kids, because, for the most, the private schools I was aware growing up in DFW were of the 20 to 30k a year variety. But after working there for a number of years it was clear that most of those private schools were just there for segregation purposes and the fact that Louisiana didn't fund their public schools for shit. A lot of the Louisiana private schools were nominal in their tuition cost and functioned as little more than day care centers.

Same throughout “The South.”

“established 1954”

fucking racist fucksticks. 

Edited by TeeDubya
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2024 at 2:02 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I love the original documents argument, because it now means the letter to the Kansas Board of Education is in the same category, and schools should have renderings of the flying spaghetti monster in all classrooms. 

I've been touched by his noodly appendages

https://www.spaghettimonster.org/pages/about/open-letter/

18 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I love the original documents argument, because it now means the letter to the Kansas Board of Education is in the same category, and schools should have renderings of the flying spaghetti monster in all classrooms. 

I’ll compromise - they can post the “original documents”, but they have to be in the original language - Hebrew.

On 6/20/2024 at 8:31 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

About that last one, the full text of Exodus 20:17 says, “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, male or female slave, ox, donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.” Deuteronomy 5:21 states, “Neither shall you covet your neighbor’s wife. Neither shall you desire your neighbor’s house, or field, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

If they want to be biblically accurate then they should include the part about not coveting your neighbor’s slaves.

aggie : so sheep are ok ??