Trap. Or "Why does M. Knight Shyamalan keep getting allowed to make movies?"

Split was good.  Glass wasn't quite as good but still alright and the last actual Bruce Willis performance I'll see.

Old was good until the ending.

Knock at the Cabin was good.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WBT said:

Split was good.  Glass wasn't quite as good but still alright and the last actual Bruce Willis performance I'll see.

I love his take on the grounded superhero.  Shoulda built it as a franchise with an origin story every 2 years or so then a team up/Avengers finale.  As it is, waiting over a decade for one sequel was just too long.

• Hook 'Em 1

The plot of this is intriguing because it aligns perfectly with the concert experience for so many girl Dads.

It seems like M. Night is working on 3-4 projects at any given time. Knock at the Cabin just came out last year, Trap, and then he’s Producer on his kid’s movie “Watcher” and “Vanishing at Caddo Lake” coming soon.

I’m happy to live in a world where MNS keeps plugging away. Once in a while it pays off. The Visit and Split were good.

Split is great.

The Visit! Forgot about that. Kind of a modern day Hansel and Gretel. Seems people either love it or hate it but I’m a big fan. My kids liked it so much they bought the blu-ray for me for Christmas a few years back.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Saw it today mostly because there wasn't much else released this weekend, if anything. Naturally it being a M. Night Shammalammadingdong production it sets up for sequel(s).

Just a couple of several beefs...

Spoiler

Once the serial killer gouges your cop buddy's eyes out, feel free to cease the tasering and blow his fucking brains out. I'm pretty sure you won't get indicted, even in Philadelphia.

Also once said serial killer is apprehended don't let him walk freely around his yard and remove a bike spoke so that he can later undo his handcuffs with it. I would hope they covered this stuff on the first day of cop school 

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

Saw it today mostly because there wasn't much else released this weekend, if anything. Naturally it being a M. Night Shammalammadingdong production it sets up for sequel(s).

Just a couple of several beefs...

Hide contents

Once the serial killer gouges your cop buddy's eyes out, feel free to cease the tasering and blow his fucking brains out. I'm pretty sure you won't get indicted, even in Philadelphia.

Also once said serial killer is apprehended don't let him walk freely around his yard and remove a bike spoke so that he can later undo his handcuffs with it. I would hope they covered this stuff on the first day of cop school 

is it entertaining enough to justify the cost of the ticket?  or wait until streaming?  or pass altogether?

9 hours ago, futureman said:

is it entertaining enough to justify the cost of the ticket?  or wait until streaming?  or pass altogether?

My lady friend and I got the Alamo season passes so I think it cost a whopping $4 after the "convenience fee."

Don't know if I'd pay retail though

54 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Heard the movie just turns into a long ad for his daughter’s singing career.

Yep

13 hours ago, futureman said:

did the trailer reveal as much as it seemed to?  or was there a twist. 

was josh hartnett not the killer?

Saw the movie. Answers to your questions with spoilers below.

Spoiler

Trailer revealed the whole movie. Josh Hartnett was the killer and had his victim locked up somewhere. The only big “twist” was that his wife found one of his suspected crime scenes and left the receipt for the concert there so the cops would find him. He uses the spoke of a bicycle wheel hidden in his sleeve to get out of his handcuffs in the end and that’s where the movie ends. 

The movie has a LOT of concert scenes like a showcase for the daughter’s singing career. It was pretty excessive but her acting was decent enough to help the cops catch him as the killer.

And Ms. Bliss from Saved by the Bell is the FBI profiler who is trying to find him at the concert. 

I’m pretty surprised there wasn’t a bigger twist like most of Shyamalan’s other movies where something just comes out of left field and changed the whole dynamic of the movie. Nothing like that happens in this movie other than the wife suspecting Josh was the killer and leaving a clue for the cops to find him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Insulting trash like all of his oeuvre. This one just had the added bonus of wretched nepotism.

IMHO, Sixth Sense is overrated simply because the twist was good and unexpected.  But if you didn't pick up the obvious clues with the first viewing, the second watch is a spot the clue exercise with no further viewings needed. Truly great movies can be watched on a loop. His movies are shallow and predictable. Like watching a generic sitcom episode. A one trick pony with a stale trick that doesn't fool anyone anymore.

I can't consider someone a master storyteller when his stories only work in a world of semi-functional regards. His films may look polished and professional, but they're still just shiny turds a half-step above a Tommy Wiseau joint.

You see the little girl left the cups of water laying around because it helped defeat the aliens (who, despite this critical weakness came to a planet covered in water), and not because she WOULDNT PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING DISHWASHER LIKE I ASKED THREE GODDAMN TIMES. 

My dad despises his films (refers to him as m night shamalamadingdong) BUT he was pleasantly surprised by 6th Sense only bc Bruce Willis was dead the whole time (another entertainer he irrationally despises). 

The Happening should have been prosecuted in The Hague as a war crime. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 12:03 PM, Neonmoon said:

(Unwatchable garbage below)

The Happening

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

The Happening should have been prosecuted in The Hague as a war crime. 

IMG_1470.gif

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

I'm speechless. Certain aspects are competent or even good, like the editing and cinematography, but the writing and the basic story are awful. The plot holes and the characters acting like absolute morons, wth.

His daughter is in serious need of acting classes. 

6 hours ago, ajax said:

I'm speechless. Certain aspects are competent or even good, like the editing and cinematography, but the writing and the basic story are awful. The plot holes and the characters acting like absolute morons, wth.

His daughter is in serious need of acting classes. 

I actually thought Shyamalan’s daughter was a decent actress because she was just doing a portrayal of a Gen Z character. But I’m biased since I think Gen Z is full of no talent hacks who can’t act or sing. 

And I thought Josh Hartnett’s daughter looked just like Mimi-Siku from Jungle 2 Jungle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It was no doubt terrible and stupid. To say it had plot holes is an insult to plot holes. I did think Josh Harnett was good and the production value was fine. There was probably a decent  film in there somewhere or maybe it would have worked as a spoof with some third wall breaking? 

Thinking back on this movie and there are so, so, so many dumb things in it. The mom/wife might be the dumbest character in the history of cinema.

But the thing I keep thinking about is that M Night Shlamadingdong never learned about Chekhov's asthma inhaler in film school.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

nor did I.  what’s the deal there?

Screenshot_20240807-0942562.thumb.png.d6b2db9ac0ea4402ef5cadf7aee0ee39.png

There's a scene where the killer ominously looks on as the pop star is standing backstage and she pulls out an asthma inhaler and takes a puff. 

After that, neither the inhaler or the singer's asthma is referenced again.

• Hook 'Em 1