Bay Area

Heading back to SF this weekend for the annual summer trip. Giants Rockies old school double header Saturday. Pliny and Crazy Crab Sandwiches, let's goooo.

I hope a homeless doesn't throw a poop on me on the way to the ballpark!!

I need to figure out what bars to try this time around when not at Oracle. Last year it was Emperor Norton's, Dogpatch Saloon, Parkside, and a couple of breweries (Harmonic and Olfactory).  If anyone has any suggestions along those lines let me hear em.

18 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Giants Rockies old school double header Saturday.

That reminds me, the Dodgers were in town our first weekend in SF.  Holy crap, I have never seen that strong an influx of fans pimping jerseys of the visiting team.  Is this a recent hangover effect from the 2020 WS championship, or do Dodgers fans always invade SF when they play?

34 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Heading back to SF this weekend for the annual summer trip. Giants Rockies old school double header Saturday. Pliny and Crazy Crab Sandwiches, let's goooo.

I need to figure out what bars to try this time around when not at Oracle. Last year it was Emperor Norton's, Dogpatch Saloon, Parkside, and a couple of breweries (Harmonic and Olfactory).  If anyone has any suggestions along those lines let me hear em.

That’s a solid list. Connecticut Yankee and Bloom’s are near Parkside. Mission Rock Resort if you want to a place to eat with a view. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That reminds me, the Dodgers were in town our first weekend in SF.  Holy crap, I have never seen that strong an influx of fans pimping jerseys of the visiting team.  Is this a recent hangover effect from the 2020 WS championship, or do Dodgers fans always invade SF when they play?

What you saw was nothing unusual.  Lots of displaced Southern Californians/Dodgers fans live in the Bay Area and come out of the woodwork when the Dodgers visit.  I was up there pre-pandemic on business when the Dodgers came to town, and there were tons of Dodgers fans.     

• Hook 'Em 1

Its been years since I lived out there, but Zeitgeist used to be a good day drinking spot back in the 00's.  Its a shithole, but was one of those places where you always meet complete strangers and have a good time killing drinks out back.  Good cross section of people congregated there and it was a good change of pace from most places in the city while still being uniquely SF, at least it used to be. According to this article they have proper restrooms now, so maybe its heading downhill.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/sf-dive-bar-zeitgeist-17669945.php

been following this thread.....

first visit was 1974 - magical

from 91 through 94 was there every other month

then periodically, probably another dozen trips since

next to London, i know SF better than any other city

i gave away half of my top 20 in another thread here on the surl but search sucks and i can't find it - was probably before the rona so from 18 or 19

here's one to pay it forward.....

ancient chinese secret (not calgon): arrive at muir woods exactly 1 hour before closing and you will be able to park in the first 5 spaces next to the ticket window, walk 10 minutes in on the main trail, and you will quickly be almost alone for a quick commune; when you are done, there isa public street in a community that looks down in to muir woods, from which you may get lucky with a sunset over the ocean; the locals will try to run you off, but depending on your fucks given, standing your ground and pretending to not speak english works; learn a few words of hungarian or finnish;  there is also an even better sunset try further up tamalpais, but right now it's open and accessible with a giant parking lot and a 2-minute uphill walk, and if it ever goes viral the state will shut down the easy access, so PM me for details

On 7/24/2024 at 2:04 PM, TornACL said:

Sorry I missed this thread when you posted it @jimmyjazz. Glad you you had a great trip and you're daughters band absolutely crushed it as I told you.

As for bars of that vein, @TornACL, you've found some food ones, especially The Parkside when there are good bands playing.

Sea Star is a super cool spot that is employee owned with great beer and cocktails, very near Dogpatch Saloon

Toronado on Height Street is a world famous craft beer bar I try to visit frequently.

Benders is one of my favorite spots in the Mission. Latin America Club's another.

Kilowatt is another employee owned spot that is a great Rock and Roll bar, a lot of great shows happen there. Surrounded by several good Indian/Pakistani food options. Owners were mostly Parkside bartenders and believe most still work shifts at both bars. 

Tempest Bar is cool.

I've long said that The Royal Cuckoo is the coolest bar in San Francisco. Especially Wed through Sun nights when they have the Hammond B3 going. Lots of great food options around there too. Hit me up if you go that way and I'll share some. Thats my neighborhood. I've gotta mention Rock Bar nearby too. 

Somebody mentioned Zeitgeist. Best patio in the city to drink beer on the rare sunny day. El Rio may equal it when they get the big parties going  back there on the weekends. 

Lipo Lounge in China Town is never dull.

Edinburgh Castle & Ha Ra are about a block a part and our pre, post show spots in that area. As is the Cinch Saloon if your not bothered being in a Star Wars themed gay bar.

Further out in the Height my pics would be Molitovs, The Page, Zam Zam, Gold Cane, and Kezar Pub.

If you can make the short drive to Pacifica, I like to go take a walk on the pier to see what their catching, then go to Winter's Tavern for a couple beers and listen to whatever bands are playing. Can be real hit or miss with the bands, but at least there are a couple pinball machines in the back. 

Finally, you can come out to Bernal and visit us at St Mary's Pub. I personally have a stake in that place and bartend a shift a week as my side hustle. 

Obviously Im a bar guy, and Im sure Im missing a few spots. This is off the top of my head. 

And good call on the Crazy Crab Sandwiches. Thats always the tradition if we go to a Giants game. 

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Sorry I missed this thread when you posted it @jimmyjazz. Glad you you had a great trip and you're daughters band absolutely crushed it as I told you.

As for bars of that vein, @TornACL, you've found some food ones, especially The Parkside when there are good bands playing.

Sea Star is a super cool spot that is employee owned with great beer and cocktails, very near Dogpatch Saloon

Toronado on Height Street is a world famous craft beer bar I try to visit frequently.

Benders is one of my favorite spots in the Mission. Latin America Club's another.

Kilowatt is another employee owned spot that is a great Rock and Roll bar, a lot of great shows happen there. Surrounded by several good Indian/Pakistani food options. Owners were mostly Parkside bartenders and believe most still work shifts at both bars. 

Tempest Bar is cool.

I've long said that The Royal Cuckoo is the coolest bar in San Francisco. Especially Wed through Sun nights when they have the Hammond B3 going. Lots of great food options around there too. Hit me up if you go that way and I'll share some. Thats my neighborhood. I've gotta mention Rock Bar nearby too. 

Somebody mentioned Zeitgeist. Best patio in the city to drink beer on the rare sunny day. El Rio may equal it when they get the big parties going  back there on the weekends. 

Lipo Lounge in China Town is never dull.

Edinburgh Castle & Ha Ra are about a block a part and our pre, post show spots in that area. As is the Cinch Saloon if your not bothered being in a Star Wars themed gay bar.

Further out in the Height my pics would be Molitovs, The Page, Zam Zam, Gold Cane, and Kezar Pub.

If you can make the short drive to Pacifica, I like to go take a walk on the pier to see what their catching, then go to Winter's Tavern for a couple beers and listen to whatever bands are playing. Can be real hit or miss with the bands, but at least there are a couple pinball machines in the back. 

Finally, you can come out to Bernal and visit us at St Mary's Pub. I personally have a stake in that place and bartend a shift a week as my side hustle. 

Obviously Im a bar guy, and Im sure Im missing a few spots. This is off the top of my head. 

And good call on the Crazy Crab Sandwiches. Thats always the tradition if we go to a Giants game. 

This guy Missions. Will have to head down to St Mary’s soon, live on north side of town so don’t make it down there often. 

13 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Great post. If I am not wiped post game I will try to check some of those off.

I go to Toronado every time I visit. Had my first two beers there today. Go Giants!

Sorry, I swear the weather was nice until today. 

• Like 1

Also, I think you picked a great time to visit. I'd be interested to hear @We'reTexas's perspective, but to me it feels like the City is really starting come back over the last few months. It came on like a switch around March. I was down around Union Square / Theater District a couple weeks ago for a show at the recently reopened Biscuits and Blues and there was buzz and energy like there used too be, even though there are still a lot vacant store fronts. Im hopeful.

I just hope they find a way to resurrect or reinvent Fisherman's Wharf. I first visited SF and the Wharf in 1993 and I've fished with a charter down there regularly since I moved here in 2013. It's really sad to see it these days. A real shame.

And to echo, the Alcatraz audio tour is really incredible. I'm glad they made that while the people were still alive to tell the stories. That's one tourist trap that over-delivers, IMO.

14 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I just hope they find a way to resurrect or reinvent Fisherman's Wharf. I first visited SF and the Wharf in 1993 and I've fished with a charter down there regularly since I moved here in 2013. It's really sad to see it these days. A real shame.

Can you elaborate?  We enjoyed it for what it was.  Tourist-y for sure.  We had some mediocre food (seemed to be the restaurants run by the same family) but one really good lunch at Swiss Louis.  Service was fantastic, restaurant was spotless and the view was great.  The rest was typical high-volume tourist trap shopping, but that's not all bad.

I'm glad you hear that jj. It used to be all that x 100. Several restaraunts that had been down there for generations, like Alitos, Tarantino's, and Castignola's closed permanently during and after the pandemic and are still vacant. The streets in front were teaming with carts selling fresh dungeness crab and clam chowder to packed streets of tourists. There were street performers and artists everywhere. Today it seems like a shell of it's old self. I was last down there about a month or two ago and it was a ghost town in comparison. Maybe it's already getting better. Like I said, feels like the city is coming back over the last few months.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm glad you hear that jj. It used to be all that x 100. 

I mean, did it? We have lived in Russian Hill for over a decade. We are raising a kid here - we’re all in! I go to work in the FiDi five days a week and I would say there has been a stasis for the past two years since reopening. 

But Fisherman’s Wharf? It’s become cool. Ghirardelli has had a revamp. SF Brewing is where we go for Texas Exes, Palette is great for dumplings, and Square Pie Guys opened an awesome family friendly spot. Also, Broad Street Oyster just opened their second spot out of LA. Honestly, the Wharf is becoming kind of cool for locals. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Did a one day trip this past weds for the Astros last game v Oakland A’s. Took off 7am, slept entire flight. 

landed, headed to ole’s cafe for waffles. Good waffles.

IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.35764dd09e4276e0a9471837ad79a735.jpegIMG_1302.thumb.jpeg.577d4a10ca58db5658c35d64afeeef60.jpegIMG_1300.thumb.jpeg.4bed838fafd508c5b2201a9c59855575.jpeg

walked around that area, toy store, dumb soda store, grabbed a beer at a Mexican place 

IMG_1303.thumb.jpeg.6c6d7f3f142964176de7dfef14a71fbc.jpegIMG_1304.thumb.jpeg.5b1651d99c61b340868e22ab88981aa0.jpegIMG_1305.thumb.jpeg.7fabace5ceff04fd831a466f37c1d2ae.jpegIMG_1307.thumb.jpeg.11aa17e65eaa0c399575f264bed312fc.jpegIMG_1308.thumb.jpeg.d818bb6ad95b8547889010553783020e.jpegIMG_1309.thumb.jpeg.1755877536e7d12842fa1f6946adce34.jpegIMG_1310.thumb.jpeg.65bd384328a049f9cb85a42979e15bc7.jpegIMG_1311.thumb.jpeg.b57729c70175ff227d225c2edd9fe656.jpegIMG_1312.thumb.jpeg.4ab2257abb8f05d4f37e2717fdd9b09a.jpeg

headed to the stadium, had about a 10 min wait for the gate to open. The stadium sucks, beautiful field. Everyone was extremely nice and friendly …

IMG_1314.thumb.jpeg.16cc60a4f9f0e2c5709556670e91b3d1.jpegIMG_1315.thumb.jpeg.ffeab2bf40fda099c320a9ca99364479.jpegIMG_1316.thumb.jpeg.d14f10b2bf39be5771311f3ef3f2053f.jpegIMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.c3a15050c9c4f3aa23e350a0bb7363ee.jpegIMG_1313.thumb.jpeg.ba2b1984743a30e04077df877ba9ddbe.jpeg

it was a damn beautiful day 

had two hours or so until wheels up, Uber’d to the former Naval Air Station Alameda, highly recommend this space. We literally walked into Faction and Almanac Breweries, ordered a 5 sampler, slammed and left. Both places were damn nice, I’d go back. Very much left thinking I could kill a day or two the next trip. Hopefully hit the house of prime rib.

Made the flight just in time. I was A8 and was in line about 90 seconds. Landed in Houston 11:59 pm

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1321.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1326.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Faction is awesome around sunset. Fieldworks is also a nice one. Not too far from Berkeley. 

Agree on the stadium but it reminds me some of the old Arlington Stadium I grew up in back in the 80s before we had a nice stadium. It's a shame because so much of my history with baseball was those late 80s A's. I get why they need to move but it still sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Glad you got to experience the Coliseum. Dying a slow death. Has been in decay for years and crowds dwindling. A's will play in Sac for the next 3 years until the new Las Vegas stadium is ready.

Fond memories of watching Raiders games there and all the fights in the stands and tailgates. Also the $5 Tuesday's for A's games with free parking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Market Street was the worst I have ever seen it this weekend but everything else seemed fine. I didn't make it over to the Wharf but I had breakfast near Union Square and the bums seemed a lot less prevalent over there compared to previous trips. 

Didn't make it to any bars after the game. Six hours of Pliny and Sierra Nevada will do that to you. But it was a great weekend as always. 

And the weather was ok. When I walked into Oracle it felt like it was going to get fucking COLD by game 2 but never really did. Or maybe it did and I got drunk and didn't notice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Glad you got to experience the Coliseum. Dying a slow death. Has been in decay for years and crowds dwindling. A's will play in Sac for the next 3 years until the new Las Vegas stadium is ready.

Fond memories of watching Raiders games there and all the fights in the stands and tailgates. Also the $5 Tuesday's for A's games with free parking. 

the A’s, their fan base, all got the royal screw job 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Quite a day.  All that and no hotel bill!

1000% would do it again. It was a blast. No hotel, and an ex bought my ticket with her points 😂😂

correct, Faction has amazing views. Both, SF and all the ships in the port. I’m sure it’s all a super fund site, but that old navy base is being redone right.

we were 10 rows behind the astros dug out, $45 

17 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Trying to think of another city who has lost 2 sports franchises to the same city. 

Milwaukee Brewers move to St. Louis and became the St. Louis Browns (MLB)

Milwaukee Hawks moved to St. Louis and retained their name as the Hawks (NBA)

All I can think of at the moment.  NYC famously lost the Giants and Dodgers in the same year, but to two different cities.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

After watching the Giants sweep the Rockies headed with the family right down the street to the MoMA. Highlight for me was their current (but leaving soon) exhibit called Art of Noise with tons old old music playbills, posters, albums and equipment.

1e8104ef1abeb68e46b2d30ebeba84b1.jpg

a5a19ce9ee82c0be20d5b3b3cfb75156.jpg

cf65b381f89853151ec2716369cfa969.jpg

dbd89deaa6a40d38e83c17b045e06112.jpg

05bd473ab7db0b5dc77a302283a3cea1.jpg

d2cf02cad528216dba1bf7665f2a47f6.jpg

acc0f0ffd66b6c427ea7d1538edf88d3.jpg

0358dd46a034c35dedee76a2ade29eaa.jpg

Plus other more MoMA-y stuff

8600c92e7ac388562d2757166552220f.jpg

16e182bc674e421e1b0a02e4fa14be5e.jpg

57a1b04e4f56128bc9e666fdc524e977.jpg